[SOLVED] Intel Inside! Can't switch to AMD.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there
I am building a system for my 15 years old gamer (Steam, Mindcraft). This would be my 5th build. My previous systems were all Intels. I have "Intel Inside" stock deeply and I have such a hard time to get excited about Ryzen. I do believe you all that it is great now and is better than same price Intel, and offers cooler and such. I guess- I am old school and I can't get Intel out of me. I am thinking- there must be some kind of hidden difference when building Intel v/ AMD. Something I will find out when I do it. Not looking forward to learn new things and watch more building videos- just wish I can go and build and it works.

I forced myself in decision to build with Ryzen, because Intel 9700K did not have Hyperthreading technology- 8 cores were 8 cores, not 16 threads. Last night I found this great deal of AMD RYZEN 7 3700X + ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) at $704, and just as I was adding it to cart- I realized it said "Out of Stock". So I went to see what else is out there, and I found Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core 16-Thread 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo), GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390, G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) at $782. Almost the same price, as in this combo Memory was also included. I would totally pay extra to build with Intel!

Might be suboptimal MoBo GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI- what you think?

In Tom's Hardware CPU Hierarchy, https://www.tomshardware.com/review...ter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190722-th

Intel Core i9-9900K is #2 while AMD Ryzen 7 3700X is #5! So can I build with Intell Or do you still recommend to go with Ryzen? i9-9900K is $500 processor- I want it! Ryzen- I wanted to try , but what if I dont like it? (I will not be using this computer but still). And if you all ok with me building with i9-9900K, I need good Motherboard. I usually use Asus hero or Pro, but I need WiFi... have to be budget friendly too. Thank you.

Solution
Ram is good. That PSU is great.

AMD's CPU coolers come with paste. Be careful when taking out the AMD CPU cooler. Dont stick your fingers on the bottom when taking it out, otherwise, you will smudge the paste.

With the AMD CPU, dont bend the pins. Just open the arm, match arrow to arrow when dropping the CPU in, and close the arm.
There should be no plastic covers as there are no socket pins to protect.

You cannot usually see there the drives go with newer cases. They all are different, but usually the drive bay openings are on the opposite side as the windows.

Astralv

Distinguished
Yeah... It is too expansive. I should stay with Ryzen. Any good brand name PSUs 650W under $80? I have seen several Corsairs... Rosewill is not so good, right? I had EVGA in the past, 2 Thermaltakes- had occasional computer restarts with Thermaltake- dont know if it was related...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
As for what graphics card, well, what's the monitor that's going to be used? Specifically:
  • What is the monitor's resolution?
  • What is the monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • And if FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
I dont know what my son doing on it- I hear "click click click"- it usually World of warship, Minecraft- haha- he is yelling that I should not tell you this because it is not high demanding games and you will tell me to buy cheaper hardware. He is watching a lot of Youtube.
Of course we will. If the games he's playing will never take advantage of the more powerful hardware's capability, then why spend that extra money for power that he'll never use?

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for replies. Right now he will be using one of basic 27" monitors, until we have more money. He now has graphic card by AMD, under $300 with basic monitor and he does not complains. I want good CPU and Motherboard so that computer lasts. Graphics can be replaced in a few years- in 2 years- what you buy today at $700 will be $300. He may get older and want to play more complicated games. He is on Steam, but his choice of games is childish to me.
NightHawk, this specific PSU, nothing else? I been looking at the list on your signature- my head goes 'round- I cant process so much information. The one you recommending is $100 before rebate, and it takes forever to get that rebate. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Astralv

Distinguished
I bought that Corsair PSU, thanks. Looks ok. Also prices went up so much.

Any issues with Corsair Vengeance Pro? https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236417?Item=N82E16820236417

Will 2017 thermal paste still be good? Do I need paste for AMD cooler or it already has some applied? Not feeling confident with AMD- it looks different- will have to watch video on how to put in CPU again- it does not have the same lock system! With my Kaby build, they came up with this plastic thing around CPU. I opened it, took plastic off, applied CPU and cooler, then i watched video and learned that plastic was supposed to stay and be placed with CPU. So I was panicking- folks on the forum told me it was not needed. Few.

I guess I will be looking for a case... I 'get these newer cases- where we supposed to put all the drives? At least 1 SSD and one HDD. I like the glowing fans on the front of the case and glass window, but there should be way to turn it off at night as this computer will be in his bedroom...
Thanks so much for help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Will 2017 thermal paste still be good?
Will be fine, any thermal paste is fine really. Doesn't make a fat lot of difference in most cases.

Do I need paste for AMD cooler or it already has some applied?
Already comes applied but it's always good to have your own as a backup should you need to clean and reapply.

Not feeling confident with AMD- it looks different- will have to watch video on how to put in CPU again
The only difference is that AMD used PGA (Pin Grid Array) as opposed to LGA (Land grid array) so the CPU itself has pins that are inserted into the socket as opposed to the general contact field on Intel. However the installation is exactly the same, just have to be a tiny bit more careful to make sure no pins get damaged. But it is an identical process.

then i watched video and learned that plastic was supposed to stay and be placed with CPU. So I was panicking- folks on the forum told me it was not needed.
What plastic thing is this? It's never needed. However you should keep the motherboard CPU socket cover safe as should you ever need a warranty return on the MB, they will likely request that this cap is still in place.

Any issues with Corsair Vengeance Pro?
No, all good.

Ram is good. That PSU is great.

AMD's CPU coolers come with paste. Be careful when taking out the AMD CPU cooler. Dont stick your fingers on the bottom when taking it out, otherwise, you will smudge the paste.

With the AMD CPU, dont bend the pins. Just open the arm, match arrow to arrow when dropping the CPU in, and close the arm.
There should be no plastic covers as there are no socket pins to protect.

You cannot usually see there the drives go with newer cases. They all are different, but usually the drive bay openings are on the opposite side as the windows.

Solution

Astralv

Distinguished
The plastic think on Intel in 2017 was supposed to help us hold it and apply easily- it was going under latcher- the CPU was supposed to stay in plastic frame. i was like, "what in the world is this?"- took it off, sealed cooler, then watch videos- everybody applying with that plastic. It was ok. It was not required- just fool proof tool. I guess i was fool not to be able to figure out that it was supposed to fool prove it.

I had all kind of issues with cases. My Thermaltake had power button die on it. Had to replace the entire front panel. My son's computer case started grounding- I thought it was motherboard issue. All error lights were on on the board and would not boot. Already had warranty return arranged on motherboard, then I decided to take it out of case and boot on a bench- and BAM- it working. The case was shorting the board. My newer Kaby build with Be Quiet expansive flagship case, I have power turning on by itself when I touch front of the computer. This was not supposed to be touch power on, but it is. Called Be Quiet, they had no idea and never replaced it. Were giving me excuses saying it is not the case, it is everything else. The only good case I have is AeroCool, except USB ports going in and out... So I need well tested case that has no issues and is popular, under 80$, had lights and glass side... That is if you feel like looking for one. Cases are fun.