Intel Introduces New Mesh Architecture For Xeon And Skylake-X Processors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

You don't need to see numbers to determine that a mesh has better flexibility than a ring bus... a ring bus is one of the worst possible topologies for any latency-sensitive algorithm and that is made further complicated when that latency is widely variable depending on where the two endpoints of a transaction are while a mesh is just about as close to the ideal case of every core being connected to everything as you can practically get.

The main reason meshes weren't used much sooner is the added complexity of managing that mesh on a clock-to-clock basis. AMD might be a little closer to the ideal balance here by clustering cores to reduce the number of stops on the mesh/fabric.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Like you, I was just trying to set some facts straight.

I guess if you want to boil my post down to a single point, it would be what I said at the end: none of this stuff is really novel. All of these ideas were pioneered by the minicomputer & supercomputer companies of prior decades. So, I just see arguments over who's copying whom as utterly pointless and misguided.

Well, if my post seemed a bit sharp, it's because I thought you were unjustly harsh on AMD for x86-64. Plus, you completely ignored what I consider to be a worse sin: Intel's PAE.

And I didn't fact-check anything but the MIPS point, but I'd suggest double-checking your facts, when giving history lessons.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, we should be able to compare and critique architectures without taking sides.

Look, AMD is the underdog, so it naturally gets more sympathy. And, being the big dog, Intel has managed to implement a decent number of objectionable business practices, in its long history. But let's not forget that neither of these companies is a charity. In the end, they're seeking to maximize shareholder value. Anything less could earn the senior management teams pink slips. In fact, a couple years ago, Qualcomm was sued by a major shareholder who thought they weren't acting in the best interest of shareholders. And that's not so uncommon.

AMD's topology seems to be more tree-structured. The worst-case is worse than a mesh, but the typical case might be a bit better. Software that's well-mapped to it should scale more linearly, since the memory controllers are local to each die. A Skylake with the same number of cores could be less efficient, in the same cases, as some memory accesses will always have to traverse parts of the mesh.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
fascinating how much innovation intel can show, when they get their ass handed to them by amd ...

still they will have to do a lot better than what they currently show. all announcements made lately are out at least half a year to a year, while amd is launching their products inside the next few months.

i can only hope it will be enough to win amd some serious market share so intel is forced to cut the crap its played for more than 5 years now and finally get of its greedy and lazy ass to do some real investment into innovation again.

Abhishek_112

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017

This is really good piece of information. I also write articles on technology trends and would seek you guys feedback to improve.
http://www.biztechpost.com

InvalidError

Titan

Intel cannot overhaul a CPU design overnight. SKL-X's architecture was decided well over a year before Ryzen was announced. The only change is that ThreadRipper forced Intel to bring its 12-18 cores die to HEDT instead of remaining a server/workstation exclusive in the E5 series (whatever metal that maps to in the new naming scheme) at twice the price.

Exactly! Lets not forget the most important thing AMD caused Intel to do, lower prices. The 8 core from last gen was $1,000 now its $600. If threadripper carries on with the great multi-threaded performance of Ryzen we should see more price cuts on all the higher core count CPU's from Intel.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Good catch, fixed!

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Exactly! Lets not forget the most important thing AMD caused Intel to do, lower prices. The 8 core from last gen was $1,000 now its $600. If threadripper carries on with the great multi-threaded performance of Ryzen we should see more price cuts on all the higher core count CPU's from Intel.

Based on the history of Intel's pricing for Xtreme/HEDT cpu's, AMD's Ryzen had no effect on Intel's pricing. They've used the same 3 tier sub $400/$600/$1000 pricing for years with higher core counts dropping to lower pricing tiers.

It appears the only response Intel had to Ryzen was specifically to the threadripper release which was to announce 12-18 core CPU's. And let's be realistic to even enthusiast users, those are useless cpu's. Due to power limitations, the 8 and 10 core CPU's have higher base and boost clock rates which will make them faster in games and any applications desktop users will actually be running. Threadripper and Intel's 12+ core CPU's are just marketing dick wagging material for the companies as far as home users are concerned.

InvalidError

Titan

More cores for a lower price is an effect. Had Ryzen and ThreadRipper not come along, I doubt Intel would have bothered to offer more than a slight discount over the previous generation for a given number of cores and the new top-end part would have set a new high watermark for MSRP with minor benefits like previous models since AMD disappeared from the map have.

As far as a direct response to Ryzen is concerned, it takes at least two years to design a chip, so don't expect a true response for at least another year. Intel does have its hex-core Coffee Lake in the near-future and if Intel prices it right, it should be more than enough to retain most would-be deserters who haven't gone AMD already.

I've said before in other threads that Intel needs AMD to survive its potential bankruptcy in 2019-2020 to avoid falling under special anti-trust regulations as a monopoly provider of essential infrastructure. Shaking regulators off of its back must be the main reason why Intel appears in no real hurry to assault AMD with new products and price drops. Also, since Intel has claimed that its rising CPU prices are due to increasing costs, it would look bad in an anti-trust investigation if Intel suddenly slashed most of its prices by as much as 50% to catch up with AMD's.

Intel's response to Ryzen/TR/EPYC will span a few years, assuming AMD can keep the pressure up that long.

Exactly. How can we prove it? When Skylake-X hits the shelves in a couple weeks will they have a 12 core product, nope they wont. My point is those three tiers would have been the same as Broadwell-E(6-cores $617, 8-cores $1089, 10-cores $1723) on release date then Ryzen came along. The fact Intel doesn't have 12-18 core models means they are adjusting to Ryzen/Threadripper along with there pricing structure. This is a very good thing for us.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Again, you are completely ignoring the previous 5 generations of Intel HEDT releases if you think Skylake X low core lineup was in any way modified in response to Ryzen.

Sandy Bridge E
6 core - $990
6 core - $555
4 core - $294

Ivy Bridge E
6 core - $990
6 core - $555
4 core - $310

2nd generation, no changes to core counts.

Haswell E
8 core - $999
6 core - $583
6 core - $389

Third generation, 6 core drops to bottom tier, higher core count added to top. What did AMD release to force Intel into doing this?

Broadwell E
8 core - $1089
6 core - $617
6 core - $434

2nd generation with 8 core, again no changes to core count just like Ivy Bridge. We don't expect a higher core count for the $1000 bracket, so instead Intel adds a tier above this for the 10 core.

Skylake X is the third generation of 8 core, so we expect core counts to drop a tier with a higher core count at the $1000 tier. So what actually happened?

10 core - $999
8 core - $599
6 core - $389

How is that not exactly what we should have expected for both core counts and price range based on history? Intel doesn't seem to care about Ryzen in the slightest as they did not make any unexpected changes to the low core count release for Sky Lake X.

The only unexpected releases Intel announced were the high core count CPU which are obviously not intended to counter the 1700x and 1800x. Threadripper CPU's appear to be the only AMD CPU's that Intel is paying attention to.

InvalidError

Titan

Where the heck did you get that idea? I've said multiple times that Skylake-X's architecture was decided long before Ryzen was announced, Ryzen has absolutely nothing to do with how Skylake-X turned out. The only thing that changed is pricing and mid-core-count coming to HEDT to fill the upper-end of the range.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

In case you didn't notice, his whole post was about pricing structure.

InvalidError

Titan

Would Intel have bumped 10 cores to $1000 without Ryzen? Every previous HEDT core count bump is associated with an increase in the LCC die's core count. SKL-X LCC still has 10 cores, which means that in all likelihood, Intel had no intention of bumping price points until ThreadRipper came along, telling Intel that it is unlikely to get away with it this time around. As a result, Intel got forced to rush-announce 12-18 core parts based on the HCC die instead.

Had Intel actually planned to bump HEDT core counts with SKL-X, it would have increased LCC to 12-14 cores.

You left the 10 core off for Broadwell-e. Intel obviously did price adjust due to Ryzen and Threadripper.

Broadwell E
10 core - $1699
8 core - $1089
6 core - $617
6 core - $434

Skylake-x
10 core - $999
8 core - $599
6 core - $389

Ryzens 6 and 8 core will still have to be compared on a per core basis to Skylake-X. Price is always subjective, some people don't mind pending $120K on an Audi A8 that drops like a rock in resale value. Others hate spending more than $30K on a mid sized car. The other day I found a guy who had a Ryzen system with Quad GTX 1080Tis because you know, ePeen.

The only thing I can say for sure is that if Intel keeps up their normal I think their mesh will have a faster bus than AMDs fabric, much like QPI vs HT. That is to be seen though based on a lot of factors.

Intel was pushing IA64 because it was a pure 64bit platform which in most ways for 64bit computing is superior than x86-64. It was a logical idea for Intel to attempt to wipe out x86 in favor of 64bit without holding it back. Look at your system. It may be 64bit but the majority of processes running still run in 32bit and the majority of programs that install still install in 32bit as well.

The only true downside to Itanium was the x86 emulation. I am sure they could do it now without the major drop in performance.

As for innovation, plenty of the big companies are looking beyond semiconductors, Intel included. However until Quantum computing becomes viable semiconductors will be the headline.

I think ignoring these people is all we can do. Pricing is the major change by Intel in response but for some reason there are a lot of people who assume that Intel can pull an entire socket and CPU lineup out of their behind in less than 3 months when all of this was probably in the works for a very long time. Actually thanks to their delays due to some difficulties with process tech they probably were planning on Skylake to launch in 2014 but delays happen and cause changes. Even so that means I would say more than two years ago Intel was working on this if not longer.

InvalidError

Titan

Broadwell was always supposed to be the 2014 architecture but slipped into 2015 for most SKUs and the desktop version didn't launch until mere months before Skylake launched practically on-schedule.

AFAIK, Skylake was always meant to be the 2015 model and if its schedule slipped, it didn't slip by much. That's why the desktop variant got phased out nearly instantly. (Not surprising given Intel's original intention of making Broadwell a BGA-only generation.)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Oh, for sure. All the legacy of x86 means more complex instruction decoders, and that's probably one of the reasons they lost the mobile market to ARM. It would've been nice to wipe the slate clean and go with a new architecture. I followed the Itanium developments, at the time, and was excited for it to succeed.

But Intel made a big gamble, in IA64 - on static scheduling. The only places where static instruction scheduling has succeeded is in power-optimized embedded applications (ARM's in-order cores) and extremely parallel chips (i.e. GPU) that can use massive amounts of SMT (like 64 CPU-type threads per core) to cover stalls. Even performance-optimized embedded CPUs pretty quickly had to adopt out-of-order execution.

Of course, there were other mistakes that also fed into IA64's demise. But Intel's "EPIC" approach is the main technical disadvantage it had vs. x86-64. If you go back and look at the benchmarks, IA64 CPUs only ever excelled at linear algebra and DSP type applications, where the control flow and data access patterns were very regular and predictable. On things like database queries, web serving, Java execution, etc., I think they never had a lead over x86 and competing RISC architectures. At least, not ones with similarly sized caches.

Shumok

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Unfortunately late to this discussion....but what I am curious about is, does the mesh increase scaleability in the die/yield sense? or strictly in the maintaining performance as core count goes up sense?

The impression I have is that AMD's infinity fabric allows AMD to scale up cores without having to worry about the increased yield problems with larger dies. Does the mesh do this too in some way, or is it strictly a means to allow higher core dies to communicate between cores more effectively?

If it's only better scaleability from a communications standpoint, it seems to me that AMD has a very important advantage with its infinity fabric that will allow them to do very high core count cpu's much more cheaply than Intel.

I understand Intel did have some kind of core cpu with dual dies or something several years back, and wonder what kind of communication the dies had and if it can be scaled this way too though. I am sure Intel will come up with something with their massive resources.

I do have to hand it to AMD though for seeming to do so much with so little. It sure does seem like the whole x299 cpu lineup is some kind of reaction to AMD, what with certain cpu's having limited functionality and the 18 core that isn't out for months and all.

InvalidError

Titan

A larger die means fewer dies per wafer and a higher risk of fatals defect ruining each die. AMD's fabric allows it to tie up to eight dies together (four per MCM using dedicated fabric interconnect and two sockets by re-purposing half of the PCIe lanes) to avoid the yield issues that come with larger dies. It also enables AMD to dump lower quality dies that fail to make the R7/TR/EPYC grade into the mainstream R3/R5 lines.

Intel's mesh doesn't change the fact that larger dies have a higher chance of having a fatal defect than smaller ones and a lower die count per wafer simply because much fewer larger whole rectangles can be cut from the same size circle. If you could fit 200 of 'die A' on a wafer, you may only get 90 of 'die B' which is twice as large. To make it worse, if 'A' had 20 fatal defects on average, 'B' could have as many as 20 dead dies per wafer on average. 180 out of 200 is a much better yield than 70 out of 90.

As for Intel's first dual die CPUs, these communicated over the FSB which was the shared link to the chipset. Scaling is horrible as both CPUs end up competing for RAM and IO access on top of cache snoops between CPUs over that shared link, which is why the FSB was eliminated by integrating memory controller and main complement of PCIe lanes in the CPU.

Intel's mesh might be able to scale more evenly to higher core count per die, but larger dies are horrible for yield per wafer, which means much higher production cost per usable die. As for Intel's x299 lineup, ThreadRipper came up way too late in the development process to have any effect on the chipset or CPUs. The only reactionary changes are in the marketing and pricing with Intel adding HCC models to repopulate the top of the range.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

AMD's approach is not without its tradeoffs, however. You might examine the tables toward the bottom of Page 2 of the i9-7900X review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-2.html

The first column of the Ryzen table is surely a typo, and meant to be "Intra-Core latency". Their Intra-CCX latency is good - between that of Skylake and Skylake-X. However, once you leave the CCX (which is only 4 cores), then it shoots up. Once they go above 8 cores, we'll see another big jump. So, for workloads requiring a lot of inter-thread communication, we should see much better scaling vs. core count on Intel's mesh than with AMD's tree.

Now, how many workloads will that affect? Remains to be seen. But that's their gamble and I'd bet they did enough market research to know that most server workloads will run on it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.