Intel Kaby Lake: 14nm+, Higher Clocks, New Media Engine

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anbello262

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
No, it doesn't really make sense to upgrade from Skylake.
But it is important to know that it supports the same MBs, because of pricing mainly. A new MB generation tends to be more expensive than an existing one.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how these chips overclock, but I REALLY doubt we will get anything near a 10% increase.

It will most likely be similar to Haswell/Devils Canyon ~5% (except those also improved temps and consistency, which are quite good already in Skylake).

InvalidError

Titan

It isn't cheaper if you need to buy a throw-away Skylake CPU to boot the motherboard once and update the BIOS before you can use your Kaby Lake chip.

anbello262

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Well, both the Z87 and the FM2 A75 motherboards I bought had no problem with the Devils Canyon and Richland cpus I put in them. It's just about making sure you buy one with the firmware pre-upgraded (or call the place you buy it from and get it upgraded, it's usually possible for free).
Although I think we're getting a bit out of track here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS