Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7700K, i7-7700, i5-7600K, i5-7600 Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pentium G4600

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Kaby Lake Pentium G4560 & HD Graphics 610 Windows 7 LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnxwEuzYvZE

Version 21.20.16.4526 WHQL works with Windows 7 and probably Windows 8.1 too.
Newer versions won't work. I don't know if they can be modded by adding the missing vendor / deivce IDs in the igdlh64.inf file.

What driver did you guys use in the review?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The latest one from Intel for the launch.

The problem is, that older drivers have a bad (or missing) support for newer software. I also had a lot of issues with OpenGL and other stuff on my workstations. It may run on desktop or for a handful of standard benchmarks. But it is nothing to say, that it works in each case stable and perfect. Intel drivers are an issue by itself and each additional problem is able to make this "suite" more and more unusable. I can only hope, that Intel and AMD can find a way to use more as only a few licenses to push the iGP thing a little bit in the future.

But at the end Windows 7 is dead. It is now on the same way as XP. A lot of guys were crying and missing the XP support but after a while we saw absolute silenece. It is only a question of time, nothing else. ;)

cordes85

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
moores law is coming to an end, and huge performance increases are over, now it will take years to fab new chipsets lower than 10nm, which is the obvious next gen, AMD are entering now when the chip makers are pretty much at the end of the moores transistor size life cycle, Zen will probably match performance, and i expect pricing similar to Intel's, Only if its a crap CPU then under sell it, i dont know to be honest.

We need a project scope of what AMD wants, to be a top end cutting edge of 6950x and challenging Xeon 28+ core server stations, or are they happy to take the middle ground, as shown when they used an Nvidia Pascal GTX Titan-X to show the power of new line of CPU's at CES. are they happy to be as good as say i5 6500, or i7 6900. IDK,
We will find out, but Its hard to change my mindset, ive used Intel for years now, and feel kinda fan boyish, same for Nvidia, Sure AMD does cheaper job, but i want reliability when i switch on the power button. IDK i guess things like NVidia Shadowplay and just the ease that the computer is servicing itself.
As things just get smaller, phones and tablets are more important than desktop pc's, we just have to sit back and watch the cannon fodder, the BS, and sure to be a load, marketing Hype especially from AMD fanboys. At the end of the day you buy an I5 or i7 and u got cpu for least 5-6 years, no need for upgrades as its only the GPU that seems to be moving at a fast pace.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
At first glance I read "KL" as "Knight's Landing." I was slightly puzzled for a second... :)

(Yes, I know Knight's Landing is abbreviated as "KNL.")

And that's the billion dollar question, is the Core architecture refined to a point where pretty much no real performance can be squeezed out from it? Are we seeing the "end of the road" for IPC and all that's left is efficiency?

I know Intel has been working for a long time on alternatives to silicon and on quantum computing, so maybe the "revolution" we are looking and waiting for is there, it's just not in the form we are seeing today.

When Intel made the jump from Netburst to Core, it brought a major change in performance and efficiency. Maybe it's time for a new architecture. Only Intel knows what is next, but from what I've read (though rarely hear about anymore), quantum computer or nanotubes could be the next major jump...Time will tell.

All that being said, I might actually finally find it worth it to upgrade to Cannonlake or it's refresh, when the time comes. Just not sure I care to get into 10nm or wait and make the jump to 7nm as AMD is. Or maybe whatever AMD has to offer as competition, it's been a long time since I've had a AMD CPU (K6-2 300mhz to be exact).

rbald53

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Ahh I'm still on a 6core i7 cpu X58 chipset with triple channel memory! With all this kaby lake talk I fell dated!!!!?? weeèee

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Win7 dead? Maybe in 3yrs+ when updates force companies to move (if then even, they can pay for extensions probably still at that point). XP BTW still isn't dead, just ask china. XP still has 10% share (more than 8.1 BTW). If Vulkan takes off in the next 3yrs I have no need for Win10 or DX12. The only place Win10 has really caught on is some steam users. Were it not for gamers, the OS would be dead. I have ZERO reason to upgrade to an OS that tracks every move I make (telemetry) and acts like it needs to be on a mobile device. When the OS causes more clicks to do the same thing you've failed me. When it is more difficult to use than before, again you've failed me. When I have to buy an app like Xyplorer or Xplorer2 or Total Commander just to fix a fundamental part of the OS (explorer - file management is crucial), again you've failed. I could go on but you should get the point.

Wake me when Z270 has Win7 drivers and full support for that OS. If Zen doesn't come with it AMD won't get my money either. I have no interest in supporting MS these days even as I stand running on their IT treadmill (rethinking this now though, might go *nix training soon as I see a vulkan opening coming). I guess I'd build a Z170 Kaby with USB3.1 on it to make sure I get the latest model since there are many on newegg etc with USB 3.1 to choose from (gigabyte has a few I'd buy). Nobody seems to complain about Z170 with Win7 but maybe those reports will start to show up shortly ;) Time will tell.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/12/microsoft-support-skylake-windows-7-8-1/
They said the same thing about skylake :)

For reference on Win7's early demise (not quite):
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
Even by Microsoft's numbers, er, I mean Netmarketshare's numbers, Win7 is still 2x more "alive" than win10, and note they give ZERO info on ENTERPRISE, which of course has win7 the only kid on the block and win10 still unborn. I believe Win10 will be the creator of an ARM based PC with all the trimmings shortly. Companies may even sell them with a dual-tri-boot of multiple free Operating Sytems if Vulkan takes off in the next 2-3yrs. I could see a full PC like box (75-100w versions of today's SOC basically with a huge PC fan/heatsink as usual) with a linux version (pick one that runs steam great), Android or Chrome (both?). At some point google must make these ONE or make one or the other more FULL like Windows/MacOS. It seems they're heading that way, but it takes time. Apps will come after the games hit big. I'm hoping Nvidia puts out this box. Adobe and others are already porting parts of their apps for mobile, so not much of a stretch to make a full product for ARM.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2363780/software-games/linux-gaming-rising-7-big-name-pc-games-that-now-call-linux-home.html
This will explode even more as Vulkan makes Dx12 less important yearly. Steam already has a large linux library and growing all the time. Many games today (especially indie stuff) release on linux and windows (usually mac also now that they have 20mil selling). What is remarkable is windows 10 has essentially been free since it hit the shelf & still is through accessability features loophole, But it still can't crack 25%? How many just can't figure out how to get it off after a stealth upgrade? LOL. The next few years will be very interesting to watch play out. I'm guessing this could easily end up like USA presidential contest, Brexit etc. You push to far (I'm looking at you MSFT) and people will revolt, even to something totally different, with or without FEAR of what that means. If there is enough stuff on the other side of the fence to get by with (I could easily leave for just the RPG's and live for a year or more of fun on linux now), many can switch if given the right hardware/software combo to go to. MSFT is in what seems to be a possible perfect storm with ARM, Vulkan, mobile gaming taking off, engines basically doing porting for you to a large extent etc. Many will be willing to give up some AAA titles for freedom and those titles will go over to the other side anyway if enough numbers are over there with sufficient hardware.

Google/NV/Valve should put out a 85w PC like box ASAP. AMD would be wise to announce win7 support ASAP. They would win a lot of chips from enthusiasts who want no part of win10 (like me). If I'm looking at Kaby+win10 vs. Zen+Win7 AMD gets my money by default unless they're lighting on fire after five minutes of use or something severely catastrophic I can't live with. From the benchmarks I'd be sold already if win7 was part of the picture.

Pentium G4600

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
TomsHardware could test and write a review on:

1. Kaby Lake + Intel 100 series chipset motherboard + Dedicated Graphics Card + Windows 7
2. Kaby Lake + Intel 100 series chipset motherboard + Intel HD Graphics 630 + Windows 7
3. Kaby Lake + Intel 200 series chipset motherboard + Dedicated Graphics Card + Windows 7
4. Kaby Lake + Intel 200 series chipset motherboard + Intel HD Graphics 630 + Windows 7
5. Kaby Lake + Intel 100 series chipset motherboard + Dedicated Graphics Card + Windows 8.1
6. Kaby Lake + Intel 100 series chipset motherboard + Intel HD Graphics 630 + Windows 8.1
7. Kaby Lake + Intel 200 series chipset motherboard + Dedicated Graphics Card + Windows 8.1
8. Kaby Lake + Intel 200 series chipset motherboard + Intel HD Graphics 630 + Windows 8.1

Use Intel HD & Iris Graphics Drivers Version 21.20.16.4526 WHQL for the iGPU instead of generic drivers.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
If I compare the workstations with 7, 8.1 and 10, the difference is so small, that it is mostly within the tolerance range between the single benchmark loops. But mostly (in pro apps) W10 is a tick faster than W8.1 and this is often a tick faster than W7. But this is so marginal...

I'm sure, that the tolarance range of the most gaming benchmarks is also too big, that you can't give a warranty for a final conclusion, which windows Version is faster or slower.

Which application you would prefer for a test? I see in all my pro apps no advantages for W7, only disadvantages. But maybe, you know some games or apps, that will perform siginificant better on W7 and the difference is bigger than the tolerance range for the benchmarks.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
This Youtube video shows me nothing interesting.

I have three images with 7, 8.1 and 10 - all images are running with Kaby Lake (without the iGP, because I'm using for serious benchmarking only certified and current drivers. But which seroius benchmark you need? Things like Handbrake are more or less synthetic crap and are saying us simply nothing special. I tested AutoCAD 2016, Creo 3.0, Solidworks 2016, Lightwave, Maya 2016, Blender, 3d studio Max and iRay plugins. In not one case Windows 7 gave me an advantage. About what we are discussing here? I can't follow all the guys, saying W7 is even better. As I wrote above - the trend is going to W10, but marginal.

Maybe we can ask Paul to compare a few things in his follow-up, but I don't se any sense in this comparison.

Pentium G4600

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
According to Anandtech, Windows 7 works with Kaby Lake. They tested i7-7700k on Windows 7 x64 SP1. The performance is as good as it gets. No stability or performance issues whatsoever. HD Graphics 630 works on Windows 7 too (see the GTA 5, GRID and Shadow of Mordor benchmarks).

Igor Wallossek & Paul, please give Kaby Lake and Windows 7 another try and update this review accordingly. I'm sure you will remain pleasantly surprised this time.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Question:
What did you expect? That Windows 7 is faster than W10? It is ok that it works with older apps that not requieres current drivers (this is, what I also saw), but to be honest - which benefit we can get from this kind of re-test? I asked you about relevant benchmarks but you wrote nothing w/e of a few older games. I think, we can update the part with the not running VGA-drivers - but we have also do remember, that this older drivers are not optimized for newer things. So it is not secure for the future, that the conclusion will be the same.

I came from the industry and worked a lot of years as (lead) programmer (3D/CAD, scientific and industrial apps) and in the quality management. The driver thing was one of the most important parts to keep the whole infrastructure alive (and stable). I have problems with downgrades - only to show, what may run in some cases. If someone reads all this not carefully, he can believe that it will also work in the future without any limitations and use this review to buy something without a closer look.

If we make a re-test (and not only an update what we can do to get it to work), we need to make a visible cut between running software and all things without a support in the future. Nobody knows Intels plans, so I like it to wait what will happen to prevent me (and others) for fast shots. This is also a sign of quality. ;)

Pentium G4600

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

I thought Windows 7 wasn't supposed to run on Kaby Lake at all.

So Kaby Lake works on Windows 7 x64 and all current apps and games run just fine but some apps and games in the distant future might not work (very well)? If that's correct I don't need any benchmarks.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I agree with you on Win 7 and all my PCs at home are upgraded to Win 10. I helped a guy upgrade a bunch of PCs at a dentist office a few months before the Win 10 launch and he insisted on Win 7 because they were using a program called Dentrix. The version they were using was from like 2006 or something and the guy was afraid that there would be compatibility issues, especially with drivers. They have this machine that takes an x-ray negative and makes it digital as well as a handheld device that works like a borescope for the mouth (not sure what either is called). Another concern was compatibility with their server which was running Windows Server 2003. People who use their computers for business like this are not necessarily looking for the latest and greatest, they are looking for stability. Right now, Win 7 is probably the most stable still supported OS for these types of people. That was the main reason for the whole upgrade in the first place - support for XP had expired and he didn't want to go to 8.1 or do the 10 upgrade once it was launched (we also upgraded their hardware from Core 2 Duos and spin HDDs to i5s and SSDs, of course). I even set up a laptop for them that came with Win 8.1 and the only drivers that worked on it were for 8.1. I still forced Win 7 on it and used generic VGA drivers instead of the Intel HD drivers. They'd rather have the stability of Win 7 than the correct drivers and there have been no complaints about that laptop. It doesn't even run the Aero desktop feature but nobody there who uses it cares as long as they can see the x-rays and access the patient database on it.

Also, congratulations. Not sure how you did it but you somehow worked the 2016 US Election into your comment.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

As we stated in the article:

Based on our initial testingwith MSI's Z270 Gaming 7 motherboard, we can confirm that HD Graphics 630 does not function correctly under Windows 7 and 8.1. Both operating systems install generic drivers for the display adapter, even after applying the latest drivers and updates, so many core features remain unavailable. We also experienced stability issues with Windows 7 that might even negate using an add-in GPU as a workaround.

We did not say that you cannot install the operating system, we noted that it does not work correctly.
I tried several drivers for the iGPU, and as I've noted in comments since, perhaps it was due to the platform we used for testing. However, we did experience instability and other issues.

We have direct, official confirmation from Intel, AMD and Microsoft that indicate they do not support Kaby Lake with older generation operating systems. These videos do not show the iGPU in the device manager, and running Cinebench or a select test is not a complete test - note that Intel even specifically says they do not support the operating system and that it may become unstable, which is exactly what I experienced.
As to AnandTech testing with Windows 7, there are a few 'workarounds' that aren't supported by Intel or Microsoft that are floating around, perhaps they used one of those. However, testing with a CPU with an operating system that has terminated mainstream support in 2015, and is not officially supported by either the CPU vendor OR the operating system vendor is ...interesting.

Pentium G4600

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Thank you for clarifying this, Paul!

Which version did you use for HD Graphics 630?

https://s23.postimg.org/v8yaqfyy3/screen234.jpg

Is it illegal to install Intel HD & Iris Graphics Drivers Version 21.20.16.4526 WHQL?
What problems will I encounter with these drivers? How bad could it be - they are WHQL after all?

Makes sense to me - it's the most popular OS in the world.
Can you give us the workaround link?

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

I will give that driver version a shot :) Have you tried installing with a Z270 board? I notice that is an ASRock Z170.

Of course it isn't illegal to use a driver, at least not that I would imagine. However, you are leaving yourself open to possible stability issues, but it isn't guaranteed you will encounter them, though we most certainly did. Did you get that driver direct from Intel's site?

You might find this page interesting, btw, as it states directly that Intel does not support HD 630 with Windows 7, 8 or 8.1

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html

There is no link to share the tool that I mentioned.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

It's not necessarily that win7 is better (but it is... :) - so say the majority of users - talking using it, not particularly perf as that's a wash between OS's. The point is that it is used by half the planet at home and FAR more than that in business where win10 is DEAD. You are misleading readers if you're NOT telling them win7 works fine. Worse you called win7 dead when all information points to it being FAR more alive than win10 even though it's been given away (or forced) for free for it's entire lifespan. Even MSFT's numbers say it's got 1/2 the market of Win7 (1/4 vs 1/2 respectively). It's quite comic to me everyone switched to win10 immediately for testing when the world was NOT using it and most ~18 months later STILL are NOT using it...ROFL. Never mind what happens to the numbers if you count Enterprise which is a far larger audience and probably near ZERO win10 users (just like Vista/Win8/8.1).

The point of handbrake testing for quicksync at least is to tell us if quality is now FIXED. Also note, no matter what you think about the test, most of the planet uses it to rip with. Again, if you're not reporting what users want what is the point of a review? That's akin to putting up 4k only gaming benchmarks when 95% of us are still running 1920x1200 or below. For myself since gaming seems likely to be close with Zen vs Intel, I'm more interested in Handbrake testing. If I can turn on Kaby's GPU and quicksync works without quality loss Intel probably wins my money. If not Zen does because it seems to win this benchmark if reports are true. It's not a Synthetic test if you can actually use it for work or play as a game.

One more point, since you mention all the pro apps, how about testing Cuda plugin for NV vs. AMD OpenCL in Adobe apps (again used by half the planet for Premiere/AE). A simple checkbox in these two apps can get this done yet it always seems avoided. Worse you'll waste time (perhaps not YOU, but toms in general) testing OpenCL on NV cards when there is a suitable Cuda version to test (or plugin easily tested) that is far more preferable to ANY Nvidia based users. I mean you buy NV cards for Cuda, especially Titan users trying to evade the $5000 pro versions sticker prices. I really hope you're planning Vega OpenCL vs. Titan Cuda for once. If you're going to test cpus with Blender, why not throw in a CUDA Nvidia test also? People should know cuda scores since you already have an NV card for both gaming and pro you're using. Why test with a Quadro & a 1080 if you're not going to turn on Cuda in Blender etc? Since you boast about Ryzen keeping up with a 6900 in blender, my guess is people would like to know that in some instances Cuda blows either away by a long way. For instance:
"i7-5820k takes 2 minutes and 29 seconds to render the BMW test scene, the GTX 980Ti takes 1 minute 28 seconds. There's your answer – Jerryno Jan 21 '16 at 17:13"
I'm guessing 1080ti or titanX is even better but it would be nice to actually see it tested to prove it (or not). That post is from blender stackechange.

Another point on gpu testing, OpenCL has been supported in Blender since v2.75 for cycles. So again, it would be nice to see AMD vs. Nvidia gpu in with the cpu tests to see who is winning now, especially as blender gains users, and like handbrake is FREE.

https://code.blender.org/2016/02/new-cycles-benchmark/
For people interested, here's some cpu vs. gpu benchmarks. Gpu still wins most other than Koro tests where cpu wins (seemingly all except multi-gpu where gpu again wins with Cuda).

"There’s a reason that we like using applications that represent the industry standard. This way, we get results that are representative of actual performance."
Yeah, so why not test CUDA (in general, not handbrake) and Handbrake quality since most of your users have NV cards (they own 70% home and more at pro) and most ripping is done with handbrake which quicksync quality info would be nice to know. When I rip an episode at L4.1 2pass (1st pass turbo too) 1080p it takes my 4790k 2-3hrs to get done. Cuda ripping done with something like staxrip is lower quality than handbrake hq rips BTW (just saying) at the same bit rates according to Techspot or as they put it, an h265 nvenc is about equal to a hq h264 rip at like bit rates. I really wish NV/Intel would get it right. Then again maybe Intel has, but nobody bothers testing kaby quicksync quality (or NV quality on pascal for that matter!). What do we expect when review sites ignore this? If you guys pointed out who sucks and who doesn't maybe features get fixed. It's not just the usual rippers doing this stuff today, a ton of people do it for use on the go on tablets/phones.

"These tests generally run for a long time and across several different iterations, which makes their results much more reliable."
Well my ripping takes 2 days for a season...LOL. Usually takes 3.5-5hrs for a movie too, depending on length. Do that for many blurays or seasons and you should get the point ;)

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I think that any consumer level quad or dual core chip called a "core i3, i5 or i7" along with the lower end Pentiums and Celerons from this period (around '09 to present) could be considered one giant, long stretched out architecture. It is kind of like how all the different iterations of the Core 2 chips from 65nm to 45nm, from 800 MHz to 1600 MHz FSB and with DDR2 or DDR3 can be lumped into one group (which is then divided into Duos and Quads mainly). Back then the differences between a 65nm Q6600 with DDR2 and a 45nm Q9650 with DDR3 were pretty decent, sort of like the difference between a i7 2600k and a i7 7700k. But, one day, a new truly next gen series of chips will come out that will make both the 2500k and 7600k both completely obsolete in comparison just like the first quad core i5s and i7s did to the Core 2 Quads. That hasn't happened yet and we are already 3 nodes into this series. So, to all those that were disappointed with these CPUs, if Intel is still calling CPUs "i5" and "i7" by the next tick or tock or whatever, then don't act surprised if it is only slightly better than a CPU from a few generations before. When they come up with a new name and not just a new number then it'll be time to get a little excited.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
All from stock.

I know a few SI, buying the last available 6700K from the market, because the 7700K is not easy (and so cheap) to cool.
If you take additionally Gigabyte mainbords with big overvolting, this combination is simply unusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.