Intel Launches Light Peak Tech as ''Thunderbolt''

Status
Not open for further replies.

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Now we'll start seeing external GTX 570's sitting on a desk next to your laptop port replicator wewt! only take your video card when you need it, imagine a 14" laptop that drops into a port replicator with a nice upper range pci-e vid card next to it. connected to your 42" LCD on your desk. Kewl, wonder what kind of power ratings it can support. (the 570 would obviously have external psu) :)

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Wait, so if Light Peak (or Thunder Bolt) supports PCIe, and can basically function as a PCIe cable, then wouldn't that allow to you do stuff like have external graphics cards. You could even break a PC into multiple parts and have each part connected by this interconnect. Probably not practical or likely to happen, but it's an interesting idea.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'm disappointed at the name change. Light Peak was a classy name. There's already an HTC phone being released called the Thunderbolt, keep LPK!

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Also I hope that Thunderbolt isn't like USB and can only be inserted one way. Just imagine the amount of times throughout the World the USB plug has been turned around due to being in the wrong direction.

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Note that the bandwidth of thunderbolt is only 10GB/s (equals 4x pcie)
It is not enought for memory, graphic card(need 8x, i think).
I hope it can uniformed the exterenal I/O port (usb, display, eSATA, eithernet...). So we do not need so many type of interface. CopperPeak (well thunderbolt) all the way.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Will it stick?
Firewire was great tech when it came out too, but no way I'm paying the extra to get firewire enabled devices. It's USB3.0 or eSATA for me.

So... what's avalible for Thunderbolt?

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I really hope this takes off. I really hope they quickly upgrade thunderbolt and phase out the copper version of lightpeak. This could be HUGE. If they can fully incorporate fiber optics onto the motherboard, guess what? Game changer for motherboard design! Nothing needs to be in close proximity for speed. In fact, your components don't really even need to be in the same case! How does RAM mounted on SD cards sound? Or a hundred gig SD card utilized as your hard drive?

nullifi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]Also I hope that Thunderbolt isn't like USB and can only be inserted one way. Just imagine the amount of times throughout the World the USB plug has been turned around due to being in the wrong direction.[/citation]
I don't know about your USB connections, but mine only go in one way. I have, however, plugged USB into an ethernet port quite a few times.

[citation][nom]nullifi[/nom]I don't know about your USB connections, but mine only go in one way. I have, however, plugged USB into an ethernet port quite a few times.[/citation]

You can force the USB cable in the wrong way and damage the desktop side of the connector making that USB port unfunctional.

Doomsy2006

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Does anyone know the POWER OUTPUT. For instance USB being 3mW or something what can this do? Can it provide enough to power a laptop completely?

dokidoki

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I forsee a collaboration with Marvel in the near future. And judging from the way the port is shaped, it can only go in one way. It's square on one side and a hexagon on the other.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Could this lead to an age of PC parts that are like Hi Fi separates?

The "Amp" is the mobo, CPU and RAM - the HDDs, Optical drive, graphics, sound, network, monitor - all connected by Thunderbolt.

People said this years ago with USB but it never came about due to bandwidth issues but now we have a fat-pipe it may just get there assuming OEMs actually use the standard.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]Wait, so if Light Peak (or Thunder Bolt) supports PCIe, and can basically function as a PCIe cable, then wouldn't that allow to you do stuff like have external graphics cards. You could even break a PC into multiple parts and have each part connected by this interconnect. Probably not practical or likely to happen, but it's an interesting idea.[/citation]

Seems more like a new pci-e port that is located externally instead of internally, since pci-e supports many different devices, the thunderbolt will support have a wide range of support also, (with the help of adapters which can be sold at high markups).

G

If it's like USB, then "10gbps" is more like "1-2gbps" in the real world.

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]Wait, so if Light Peak (or Thunder Bolt) supports PCIe, and can basically function as a PCIe cable, then wouldn't that allow to you do stuff like have external graphics cards. You could even break a PC into multiple parts and have each part connected by this interconnect. Probably not practical or likely to happen, but it's an interesting idea.[/citation] USB was supposed to basically do "that" which you can run a video card via usb, audio card via usb, network car via usb etc.

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]20Gbps (2x10Gbps) is still low as far as external high performance graphics cards are concerned.[/citation]
compare that to the USB 2.0 external graphics cards. Not even same league. looks at the business side as well, they sell alot of those usb externals for business related functionality; to have 3 monitors on a laptop etc.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Thunderbolt says 10gbps, while a normal 2.0/2.1 pci-e x16 lane can handle 64gbps. Granted no card will max out all that bandwidth yet, but its still far off from pcie. You might be able to run some lower end to more mainstream cards well, but definitely not highend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS