News Intel: Lunar Lakes Tapes Out, Meteor Lake on Track for 2023 Ramp

pointa2b

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022
Its going to be really interesting to see how Intel and AMD compete with each other over the long term. Greater leaps will need to take place more often as opposed to the past when AMD was trailing behind while Intel was complacent.

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
Intel is in a critical situation and in need to do something and turn things around. I expect Intel to go all-out and fight in all segments. They've got the money, talent and experience. AMD is up for a really tough time. Next years will be very competitive and AMD needs to step up their game too. Expect impressive gains and more delays (yep).

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Intel is in a critical situation and in need to do something and turn things around. I expect Intel to go all-out and fight in all segments. They've got the money, talent and experience. AMD is up for a really tough time. Next years will be very competitive and AMD needs to step up their game too. Expect impressive gains and more delays (yep).
You should be really paying attention to their financials, it's not lookin good for them.

Reactions: bit_user

tstager

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
They don't have as much money as you think. Several of their products have cost them. Alder lake didn't sell as well as hoped and Raptor Lake is doing even worse. Their margins have really taken a hit. They have also taken losses with Arc. These things add up. They are starting to get desperate for a win. I hope they can pull it off!

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
They don't have as much money as you think. Several of their products have cost them. Alder lake didn't sell as well as hoped and Raptor Lake is doing even worse. Their margins have really taken a hit. They have also taken losses with Arc. These things add up. They are starting to get desperate for a win. I hope they can pull it off!

They have 28 billion in cash https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/INTC/balance-sheet?p=INTC. That also doesn't reflect that they still own over 50% of Mobile Eye that they can sell if they need cash.

I'm not fan of Intel, but the nescience the average fanboy is throwing out is down right scary.

jasonf2

Distinguished
If all you want to do is read the market clickbait Intel is doomed, just like every other company that has a bad quarter. What people don't understand is that Intel is an engineering company inventing tech that doesn't come to market for years that has one hell of a war chest. Dollars put in today do not bear immediate profits. A large part of Intel's current balance sheet "losses" are actually internal reinvestments. Prior to Gelsinger (Which happens to be a former Intel engineer with serious street credit) Intel had been so focused on keeping Wall Street happy that while their balance sheets looked ok they weren't maintaining. The 14nm nightmare more than likely came to pass because someone over at Intel decided that EUV was too expensive. TSMC on the other hand has been using EUV since 2019.

Even with this all being said Intel's full year revenue was down by 20% yoy to $63.1 billion which was just reported. AMDs 12 month revenue (reported September 30, 2020) was up 53.7% to $22.828 billion. So understand that by shear scale of gross sales AMD is only about 36% of what Intel is. Intel spent $24.5 billion on R&D/MG&A in 2022 which is more than AMDs entire gross revenue. Intel has about $22 billion cash on hand while AMD has about $5.5 billion. The crazy part is that even with all of that R&D/MG&A charge Intel still had positive cash flow and netted $8 billion dollars while AMD only netted $2.273B.

Now lets look at todays market Cap. Intel today is at ~$116 billion while AMD sits at ~$121 billion. And this folks is what is wrong with the stock market. This is classic Tesla level speculation where the market cap is not even close to a reflection of what the actual business is doing.

Reactions: bit_user and KyaraM

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
For the PC consumer, the next few years are going to be very good. At present Intel is about 4 years behind TSMC on the manufacturing side. Next year they will be 2 years behind.. In a few years they may be a year or two ahead of TSMC and Samsung. Don't be surprised if Intel begins manufacturing AMD and/or NVIDIA products in the same way that TSMC is manufacturing products for Intel. Competition is a good thing. The US Chips Bill and the Taiwanese counterpart will only help consumers. If any US company is going to be hurting in the long run it's Global Foundries. Odds are, Global Foundries will find a nice middle or the road pathway to sit in.

jasonf2

Distinguished
For the PC consumer, the next few years are going to be very good. At present Intel is about 4 years behind TSMC on the manufacturing side. Next year they will be 2 years behind.. In a few years they may be a year or two ahead of TSMC and Samsung. Don't be surprised if Intel begins manufacturing AMD and/or NVIDIA products in the same way that TSMC is manufacturing products for Intel. Competition is a good thing. The US Chips Bill and the Taiwanese counterpart will only help consumers. If any US company is going to be hurting in the long run it's Global Foundries. Odds are, Global Foundries will find a nice middle or the road pathway to sit in.
GlobalFoundries is going to do just fine. They are focused on high volume low margin mature process nodes. Unless something dramatically stalls out in node development GF isn't even working in the same space as the other major foundries. Think Texas Instruments not AMD as clients.

Reactions: prtskg

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
I thought that might be the case for Global Foundries. I know that TI has makes a lot of parts on lower cost 'mature' processes. They are in the process of building multiple new 12 inch fabs to make ten's of billions of jellybean parts per year. I can see Global Foundries filling the gap between 65nm and 18nm. There are a lot of parts that fit in this sweet spot.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
They have 28 billion in cash
Yeah, but they can't simply use it to shore up operational losses, or not intentionally so. Their investors would hate that. They pretty much can only use it:
  • to buy companies (e.g. Tower Semiconductor), and then only if there's a compelling return on investment, in a short/medium timeframe.
  • for share buy-backs, to directly make the share price go up.
  • to pay out dividends, again to maintain share prices.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
At present Intel is about 4 years behind TSMC on the manufacturing side. Next year they will be 2 years behind.. In a few years they may be a year or two ahead of TSMC and Samsung.
Right, because everyone else is just sitting still and will just let Intel walk right by them.

No, Intel has some advancements up their sleeves, but so do others. And I wouldn't say they're currently 4 years behind. I think Intel 7+ has both strengths and weaknesses, relative to TSMC N7.

Reactions: prtskg

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
If all you want to do is read the market clickbait Intel is doomed, just like every other company that has a bad quarter. What people don't understand is that Intel is an engineering company inventing tech that doesn't come to market for years that has one hell of a war chest. Dollars put in today do not bear immediate profits. A large part of Intel's current balance sheet "losses" are actually internal reinvestments. Prior to Gelsinger (Which happens to be a former Intel engineer with serious street credit) Intel had been so focused on keeping Wall Street happy that while their balance sheets looked ok they weren't maintaining. The 14nm nightmare more than likely came to pass because someone over at Intel decided that EUV was too expensive. TSMC on the other hand has been using EUV since 2019.

Even with this all being said Intel's full year revenue was down by 20% yoy to $63.1 billion which was just reported. AMDs 12 month revenue (reported September 30, 2020) was up 53.7% to $22.828 billion. So understand that by shear scale of gross sales AMD is only about 36% of what Intel is. Intel spent $24.5 billion on R&D/MG&A in 2022 which is more than AMDs entire gross revenue. Intel has about $22 billion cash on hand while AMD has about $5.5 billion. The crazy part is that even with all of that R&D/MG&A charge Intel still had positive cash flow and netted $8 billion dollars while AMD only netted $2.273B.

Now lets look at todays market Cap. Intel today is at ~$116 billion while AMD sits at ~$121 billion. And this folks is what is wrong with the stock market. This is classic Tesla level speculation where the market cap is not even close to a reflection of what the actual business is doing.

Market cap is only the value of outstanding stock not owned by Intel. You would need to find out intels ownership to make that info relevant in the manner your using. Intel could own 90% of thier stock making thier market cap only 10% of its actual value.. (they don't own that much, just a example)

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Right, because everyone else is just sitting still and will just let Intel walk right by them.

No, Intel has some advancements up their sleeves, but so do others. And I wouldn't say they're currently 4 years behind. I think Intel 7+ has both strengths and weaknesses, relative to TSMC N7.

Intel basically stood still for 12 years. And that's why TSMC has a 4 year lead. . . but Intel isn't standing still anymore. TSMC cuts corners like crazy. Their yields are horrendous. Their equipment is regularly pushed to the breaking point far beyond the manufacturer's scheduled PMs. They just don't have the quality.

I'm tellin you boys, buy INTC now while it's on sale.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
TSMC cuts corners like crazy. Their yields are horrendous.
The yield story doesn't match up with what I've heard. TSMC's yields have generally been very good, according to them. All the rumors have pointed to Intel being the one with yield problems.

However, perhaps you're talking about N3 or N2? I haven't been following the latest news on them.

I'm tellin you boys, buy INTC now while it's on sale.
Could be. Good luck with your retirement fund. At least Intel is still paying out dividends.