News Intel Makes it Official: Eight Core Tiger Lake Chips Coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Lol bringing Bulldozer to the fight is a dirty move :).
Intel delayed their 10nm in another 6 months for desktops.
I think that the 4.7 ghz is hard to achieve and they still have yields issues.

Something is still not right with their 10nm++++ node. The mt score shows it is hard for them to achieve good clocks on all cores.

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Well, it was during AMD's Bulldozer era which AMD introduced the 5GHz FX9590 CPU. But ultimately failed to take the performance crown despite the immensely high clockspeed (and ridiculous power draw plus water cooling requirement). Have you forgotten? ;)

To maintain high clockspeed on all cores, requires more power and more cooling. That is very limited in a mobile form factor such as a thin and light laptop. Look at the Geekbench results (add ".gb5" to see clockspeeds throughout the benchmark run, example https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3765299.gb5 ), Intel Tiger Lake was able to maintain nearly 4.7GHz all the time. Also from rumors heard, Intel Tiger Lake can easily hit 5GHz and will probably see that in the H-series. :vip:

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
The FX9590 was very expensive too if I remember corectly.

I will not reply for benchmarks that shows the Apple A12 beats Threadripper and EPYC, sorry.

On the czech site they said it was between 3.5-4 ghz on all cores. I think they still have a problem.
Something is still wrong with their 10nm+++... calling it "SuperFin" or whatever did not solve it.

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
And that is on all cores because most mobile SoCs (including AMD's Renoir) cannot maintain high clockspeeds for long periods due to limited power and thermal headroom (ie. if the laptop heats up too much then clockspeeds will drop). Additionally that is also why there are U-series and H-series, with the H-series able to maintain higher clockspeeds at the cost of more power usage if given the adequate cooling. ;)

Here is more evidence of Intel Tiger Lake's higher clockspeeds https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3710380.gb5 and that is 4.8GHz.... :vip: