Intel Makes Splash In China With Atom x3 (SoFIA) LTE-TDD, IoT Expansion, New Intel RealSense Camera For Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
The only interesting part about Atom is that vendors are getting Atoms for free. That should tell you how good Atom is and how desperate Intel is when trying to get into mobile market...
Someone tell me why is Intel not getting licence from ARM, customize existing arch the same way as NVIDIA or APPLE? I can image with Intel's production node advantage(14nm soon 10nm) it could easily wipe out the floor with anything Qualcolm, Nvidia, Samsung, Apple and other have currently to offer.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The only interesting part about Atom is that vendors are getting Atoms for free. That should tell you how good Atom is and how desperate Intel is when trying to get into mobile market...
Someone tell me why is Intel not getting licence from ARM, customize existing arch the same way as NVIDIA or APPLE? I can image with Intel's production node advantage(14nm soon 10nm) it could easily wipe out the floor with anything Qualcolm, Nvidia, Samsung, Apple and other have currently to offer.

I'll tell you. It's because even Intel's Bay Trail for smartphones and tablets was more efficient than many ARM SoCs, including Apple's and especially Nvidia's. They don't NEED the ARM license. People who think that new Atoms are bad really need to read some in-depth reviews that analyze their power consumption and performance. Start with Asus Zenfones - nearly all of them are using Intel's chips. And they're great devices, powerful and long-lasting.

The days of false prophecies about ARM allegedly "killing x86" are over. Several years ago, I said on this very forum in response to nonsense about Intel "being late" to the mobile market that they'll just buy the market up. I was laughed at. Now what's happening? Intel is buying a market share for itself. That's why Atoms are free or low-priced. They are increasing adoption rate - yes, they're "losing" money, or, to be more correct, they are *investing* it. When Intel's chips muscle out ARM from everywhere but IoT (which is next on Intel's hit list), they'll get back all this money and then some.

Are you going to laugh this time too or maybe it's time to accept reality: Intel *knows* what it's doing and ultimately, things will work out how *Intel* wants it. Not ARM or any of its licensees, not AMD and certainly not Intel haters like you who somehow think they know how Intel should conduct their business better than Intel itself.

Bottom line: Intel is *already* wiping the floor with its competition. It just doesn't realize that yet.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
@amk-aka-Phantom

lol, first of all, im not any Intel hater, im using Intel products quite happily on daily basis BUT:

if Intel's Atoms were so great and efficient why Intel had to throw them away for Free and loose a few $ billions in process?

Where can i read some in-depth reviews about Atoms being good or even better then ARM?

What i gather from Internet articles is that Atoms might not be the worst things ever happened to IT industry but they are not great either.

Maybe the latest x3-7 Atoms will change something and Intel will not have to 'invest' Atoms again :)

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Hmm, I must say that I for one don't like the egotistical and heavy handed sounding methods you mention of "wiping the floor" as well as "muscle out".

If you are an Intel investor then I guess you have read their financial declarations paper that mentions several not so distant past business practices in order to gain market advantages that ended up at the courts (ultimately not going well for Intel). Therefore I personally am not so enthusiastic about their "buying market share" with the future emphasis on getting their money back "and then some" (that sounds a lot like gouging).
You know I'm all for healthy competition, but greed and egos can be seriously anti-social problems and one which has historically lead to some serious societal changes.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
if Intel's Atoms were so great and efficient why Intel had to throw them away for Free and loose a few $ billions in process?

Like I said: buying market share. Ever played Civilization? When you are late to a new area but want to overtake it nevertheless, you accelerate production with your gold instead of waiting (and most likely having the area taken over by those who were closer to it). Then you cash in on what this area gives you and get all your money back.

Where can i read some in-depth reviews about Atoms being good or even better then ARM?

Try Notebookcheck, they do quite a few tablet/smartphone reviews and from benchmarks and power consumption figures it's quite evident that Bay Trail is much better than most people think. The only reason I won't be buying a phone with one is because I'm not aware of any Intel-powered phones having Cyanogenmod ported to them. I'd get a Zenfone right away if I could install CM on it.

Hmm, I must say that I for one don't like the egotistical and heavy handed sounding methods you mention of "wiping the floor" as well as "muscle out".

BRB, telling Intel's directors/investors board that you don't like what their company is doing. On second thought, I think they don't care.

If you are an Intel investor

I am not an Intel investor. Not financially, at least.

ended up at the courts

No longer needed. AMD's heavily behind. The subsidizing Intel's doing with their mobile chips isn't illegal. They're smarter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.