Intel Motherboard D925XCVLK

stupididiot

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I would like to know what is the best graphics card I can put in my Intel motherboard which is a D925CVLK with Intel chipset 925 X.
800 MHz Front Side Bus. Expansion Slots are PCI Express x16 x 1 • PCI Express x1 x 1 • PCI x 4.
Now I am going to get real. I don't know much about computers so I my not have told you everything you need to know to make a determination. I apologize if I gave you more than you need to know. I just want the best graphics card that I can use in this motherboard for the sole purpose of running flight simulator 2004 (a century of flight). I had FSX but soon realized that I would need a complete new system. Right about know you are asking, (What do you want to spend?) Well the answer is simple, Whatever it cost. I heard that I could use a PCI express 2.0 but wouldn't get the full effects of the graphics since I have 1.0. So lets not go there if this is true. Thank a million for your help!

PCI-Express version 2.0 increases speeds to 32x which is well beyond what most computers can actually use. An important thing to note is that most video cards that are designed for 2.0 will NOT work in 1.0 slots. They will, however, work in 1.1 slots.
PCI-express 1.1 was introduced in 2005.

You can use any video card. Your limit is what your power supply supports.
Flight simulator is more cpu bound, than video card bound.

stupididiot

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
My motherboard was purchased in 2004 and is 1.0 slot. Your response sounded a little contradictory when you said that "2.0 will NOT work in 1.0 slots" and then later you said that "you can use any video card". Please don't take that offensively. I certainly do appreciate your help! I think Stupididiot say's it all. But I'm willing to learn. I have a 500 watt power supply. Will you continue to help me on this topic please. Thank you for your help!

I wish I could help you. It's sort of a hit and miss.
The highest you could go is a ATI HD4890 or Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 with your power supply. The 4890 is faster than the GTX 260 core 216. I can't guarantee they will work with your motherboard. Go to a store, try one out. If it doesn't work, return it. Or try borrowing from a friend.

stupididiot

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
No problem! I appreciate all the help I can get.
I think I might have narrowed it down to these two cards. I don't know for sure so I would like to know what your thoughts are? I'm not to smart ya know.
PNY VCG86512GXWB-OC GeForce 8600 GT 512MB
PNY VCG86512GXPB-OC GeForce 8600 GT 512MB
I don't know what the difference is between WB and PB? Can you tell me with certainty that one of these will work in my motherboard like it should? And what would your choice be? Thanks again.