[SOLVED] intel octane cpu update windows H20

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

garethmoore1984

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
I recently updated windows to h20...my system had alot of crashes in the past, i had 32 gb of ram, so i recently took 2 sticks out and its running better, but the update intel octane or whatever starts off telling me to press f1 to bios and change to a raid setting so no unknown issues happen. i usually go into bios and just exit, and windows then starts normally and is very stable with not one crash yet. im reluctant to change anything as if its not broke dont fix it. i have a picture of the first boot message

https://ibb.co/Tg6T9yW is the pic...something went wrong when trying to insert. technology is wrecking my head these days.

spec:
intel i7 8086k 4 ghz 6-core
asus prime z370-a atx Lga1151
2 x corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4-2400
samsung 860 evo 1 tb 2.5" ssd
windows 10 home edition - h20 updated

first boot message

many thanks in advance.

Solution
if you disable it in bios and then remove all traces from Windows of IRST then keep it off the internet, it should be fine I guess.

garethmoore1984

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
And what are cpu temperatures, when doing cpu intensive tasks?
I'd suspect Hyper 212 cooler would have to work very hard to cool that cpu down. Might not even be able cool it down properly.

tempertures seem good...as i run a daw, so thats pretty intense on cpu when lots of plugins are involved...ive few programs that tell me its usually around 23degrees celsius, which is a good bit away from anything serious. im gonna stress test it now.

i just updated bios...got same message at start, it wants me to change sata mode selection to raid...after the intel optane memory was built or installed. in bios i can turn it on or off in main view, then theres the sata mode selection in advanced that changes from ACHI to intel rapid storage accelerator. ive tried the latter once, and it wouldnt boot to windows so i changed it back. so why is it telling me to change to this, if im just running an ssd in the sata 1 connection. im just wondering do i have to turn it on in main view in bios, just incase i decide to use it? maby cause its installed anyway, its causing this cause its turned off? this is what i need to focus on. in the main window the sata connection 1 clearly shows the ssd, so im sure its not in the other 5 by mistake...its in sata port 1.

must be someone that knows what the story is.

garethmoore1984

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
tempertures seem good...as i run a daw, so thats pretty intense on cpu when lots of plugins are involved...ive few programs that tell me its usually around 23degrees celsius, which is a good bit away from anything serious. im gonna stress test it now.

i just updated bios...got same message at start, it wants me to change sata mode selection to raid...after the intel optane memory was built or installed. in bios i can turn it on or off in main view, then theres the sata mode selection in advanced that changes from ACHI to intel rapid storage accelerator. ive tried the latter once, and it wouldnt boot to windows so i changed it back. so why is it telling me to change to this, if im just running an ssd in the sata 1 connection. im just wondering do i have to turn it on in main view in bios, just incase i decide to use it? maby cause its installed anyway, its causing this cause its turned off? this is what i need to focus on. in the main window the sata connection 1 clearly shows the ssd, so im sure its not in the other 5 by mistake...its in sata port 1.

must be someone that knows what the story is.

heres temp and power watts etc from stress test

https://ibb.co/9nNHJVY

garethmoore1984

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
Temperatures seem way too low.
Is your room temperature like 5C or something?

well i had the heater on yea...i live in a small place, and it is cold in winter. is it not better to be low than high. i have to leave the window open on lock a little...other wise the room could get damp, so its better that theres airflow. but i usually have to turn it off after a while cause the room be really warm,. i always thought if its too warm, the cpu temp be too high.
i watched a video of a guy do a stress test, and his was up at the 50's...although when running without it was 38degrees i think. ive only got one main daw program, and a folder of samples and projects...and some computer programs like them, core temp, cpuz, whocrashed, audacity etc...like the its not stuffed with music or videos...ive a full plenty of power and 16gb memore just to run one program. so i cant imagine this system to be high on the temp overload

Last edited by a moderator:

garethmoore1984

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
Still getting error in bios?

when you save defaults, are you going to save & exit screen and picking Load optimized defaults?
page 3-26 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-A/E13271_PRIME_Z370-A_UM_WEB.pdf
Wonder if its cmos chip forgetting settings as it shouldn't have to be done every start.

I tried it all....i even contacted an asus technician, he said its a battery issue, replace it or take it out (reset cmos) for few minutes and put it back in....still the same.

The problem is intel rapid storage...i dont need it, i only need one ssd...so the cure is...to get rid of that intel 300 series rapid storage controller...otherwise were straying away from the problem. another poster started on about the room temperture, and although i value his opinion...it strayed totally away from intel rsd over riding the default sata controller driver...this is what its doing from my research. There was a post i seen on how to unistall or disable it...but reviews were mixed...but most of the negative ones didnt create restore point beforehand like he said and were mad when it didnt boot if they didnt do it correctly.

Uninstalling it from device manager or updating to the old default sata controller that came with the board sounds right...but gotta use driverview after to delete certain files to make sure its gone or it wont work. Thats one fix in my view, then intel rsd cant get involved...im just wondering does the other updated drivers in device manager conflict with this....its not a web computer, i only use it for music production...if i get this sorted...it will be forever on airplaine mode as i have a seperate laptop for browsing and downloading if i need drivers etc

garethmoore1984

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
O
if you disable it in bios and then remove all traces from Windows of IRST then keep it off the internet, it should be fine I guess.

Ok thanks man...il try that soon...waiting on intels reply also.

Asus said too its a flat battery...that i should buy a new one? Ive had this system since end of 2018...so i might try that too, cause it could be forgetting the settings like you said....asus said that too