Intel Optane DIMMs Coming Second Half Of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You mean embedded in-package with CPUs? Maybe for mobile, but 3D XPoint is still much slower than DRAM. So, they might as well keep it outside the package, where you can fill up the DIMM slots with a lot more of it.

What I'm excited to see coming to an EMIB near you is HBM2. That would be very complementary with 3D XPoint DIMMs. Perhaps this is what Intel is planning with the SoC that will embed the AMD GPU, since NV memory is also great for mobile.

alan.campbell99

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017
Hmm, I seem to recall with EPYC that AMD was bringing in memory encryption in light of persistent memory. Where is Intel on this and what happens if someone pinches these out of a server?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I thought both had memory encryption for a long time, in order to protect copyright content. Maybe there's some variation that's more suitable for persistent memory.

ALan.. I have no doubt that server usage would mean encrypted data. That would be an incredibly major thing to overlook... a very simple way is to have a chip scramble the data into and out of the system memory similar to how your wireless keyboard works.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I think it would be great if they EMIB DRAM chip with Optane Chip, and put them in DIMM Module, for example 8 GB RAM + 512 GB Optane in one module.
So we can populate our rig with, say there are 4 slot DIMM available, 4 module and get 32 GB of RAM + 2 TB of persistent Storage. No need for NVMe anymore.
Never need to turn off, only sleep or hibernate.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I've been using Ublock Origin for a very long time now blocks well over 90% of the ads on websites. Yes I know most websites don't like it but I would never click on the advertisements any way as I have no interest in what they offer so tough luck websites, I prefer to read on clean sites not dirtied up with unwanted advertisements.

uklio

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

If websites have an unobtrusive ad policy that doesn't frustrate my experience with using them, I'll disable the adblocker as i know it is a stream of revenue for them. But if they don't bother and just see the money before the reader, they won't be getting that revenue from my visit! And I have to say the autoplay videos that Toms has on every page are some of the worst examples of not bothering I've seen on the internet.

papality

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

You're a lifesaver! I hadn't found one that got it before that, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.