Intel Presentation Confirms Ivy Bridge Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobalert

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Should I get the i7-3770K, and a z77 Mobo, or get the i7-3930K and a x79 now?

or will the price of the Sandy Bridge-E gear go down a little after Ivy Bridge launch?

[citation][nom]noobalert[/nom]Should I get the i7-3770K, and a z77 Mobo, or get the i7-3930K and a x79 now?or will the price of the Sandy Bridge-E gear go down a little after Ivy Bridge launch?[/citation]
Looks like power savings will be a definite benefit. I'd wait to see how performance is.

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]noobalert[/nom]Should I get the i7-3770K, and a z77 Mobo, or get the i7-3930K and a x79 now?or will the price of the Sandy Bridge-E gear go down a little after Ivy Bridge launch?[/citation]

I don't think the prices will change the Bloomfield prices haven't change much.

[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]No 8 cores/16 threads ?[/citation]

I've seen 8 core 16 threaded SB-E Xeons on ebay a few months back but they were only engineering samples running only at 2ghz with 130w tdp. I also got a die shot with layout and it clearly shows 8 cores. I doubt that we will be seeing IB-E any time soon.

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]cpu noob here, why isnt the extreme edition also in 22nm like the normal ivy bridge?[/citation]

You mean on that first desktop slide? Those aren't Ivy Bridge. Those are the Sandy Bridge-E processors that are available right not.

Intel calling them "3rd Generation i7s" a bit of marketing fluff.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Question is how much faster more efficient, cooler will these be than my 2600k overclocked to 4.5 currently? How many frames per sec will it help in BF3 over my 2600k? Worth an upgrade?[/citation]
dude, dont you ever get tired of doing that?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Question is how much faster more efficient, cooler will these be than my 2600k overclocked to 4.5 currently? How many frames per sec will it help in BF3 over my 2600k? Worth an upgrade?[/citation]

I suppose you can OC an IB a little higher than SB because of IB's lower power consumption. However, I doubt it's financially wise to upgrade from SB to IB, you're better off waiting for a few more years as by that time, SB would be unable to handle the future games.

But if you want to set over $200 on fire for a rather small performance boost, then be my guest.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I don't understand it, in the Core i7 chart, it says that "3rd generation Intel Core i7 processor extreme edition" but it still using 32 nm.

G

I still really don't get why the k models get the good integrated graphics, maybe they are an engineering pilot or some such since the laptop cpus are the right way up.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I'm a little annoyed. We've all heard over and over again that Intel won't release any 6 core Ivy Bridge chips, yet, they have! Uhhhhhhh ok. It's 32nm but it still is under the 'Ivy Bridge' name.

And the fastest 4core core Ivy Bridge laptop chip you can get is only 2.3GHZ/3.3GHZ w/turbo. Ugh, how long do I have to wait until 2.8GHZ on all 4 cores constantly is possible? 14nm? 2.3GHZ is less clockspeed than 4core Sandy Bridge chips (2.7GHZ/3.7GHZ).

Some of their i5 laptop Ivy Bridge chips are 32nm. That's odd.

noobalert

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I'm currently running a Intel Core2 Q9550 on a XFX nForce 780I SLI INTEL SOCKET 775DDR2 mobo

I think its time for upgrade, I got the cash to spend... Its not burning a hole in my pocket so I don't mind the waiting.

[citation][nom]josejones[/nom]When will Tom's be able to review all those new z77 motherboards? ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxehttp://www.techpowerup.com/161582/ [...] China.htmlASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional-Mhttp://vr-zone.com/articles/some-o [...] 086-2.htmlMSI Z77A-GD65 'Ivy Bridge' Motherboard Previewhttp://www.legitreviews.com/article/1864/1/[/citation]

Thanks josejones for the links to the new boards the MSI looks nice

Regarding the 32nm SB-E (3rd Gen), My guess is that so the flagship processors are represented as being one generation ahead of all of the other i series processors. Many people asked why the SB-E’s got a 3000 series number when they came out. I will bet that IB-E will be a 4000 series processor. It is all about proper marketing.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]I'm a little annoyed. We've all heard over and over again that Intel won't release any 6 core Ivy Bridge chips, yet, they have! Uhhhhhhh ok. It's 32nm but it still is under the 'Ivy Bridge' name.And the fastest 4core core Ivy Bridge laptop chip you can get is only 2.3GHZ/3.3GHZ w/turbo. Ugh, how long do I have to wait until 2.8GHZ on all 4 cores constantly is possible? 14nm? 2.3GHZ is less clockspeed than 4core Sandy Bridge chips (2.7GHZ/3.7GHZ).Some of their i5 laptop Ivy Bridge chips are 32nm. That's odd.[/citation]

Ah, don't you love rebranding? It makes sense since Intel can't get rid of all of their surplus SB processors, so why not brand them as IB and keep the same price or hike it up?

G

What is up with the i7 laptops. That lineup looks terrible! That has got to be a mistake. They don't come near the SB i7 in terms of GHz and cache. What happened there? Is that a typo on those 4/8 CPU i7 laptop processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS