Intel Q4 Numbers, Net Income Up 875 Percent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeeater_za

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
guys... as someone with an intel proc, albeit an e5200 oc'd, I feel that if we dont support AMD, intel will drive AMD's CPU manufacturing business into the ground. I do realise that in the past the two companies have traded blows but I also feel that AMD is at a distinct disadvantage atm. (that is excluding their enterprises with gpu's of course)

If intel were to be the ONLY cpu manufacturers our next upgrades would cost significantly more, and we here in South Africa already pay about $268 (according to www.xe.com currency converters today) for a core i5 i750 when you guys pay $199 according to newegg. It may not seem like alot, but $70 is alot more for us, what being 3rd world nation and all.

Today tom's did a review of the differences between core i5, i7 c2q and Phenom 2 and I feel, that for the word processing, occasional video conversion and gaming COD 4, 5, 6 FC2, SumCom and some F4AF flying the Phenom 2 would be perfect for me. Unfortunately AMD is frightfully expensive here in SA. I'm talking $295 for an amd 965, today newegg price = $195. Im not sure why AMD is so much more, maybe a fellow zaffa could enlighten me, but nonetheless...... We are forced to go intel.

However I digress. AMD cannot die. It would be the worst thing for us as the consumer. I mean, to pay $1.3 Billion fine to AMD and still post those profits, wow.. We are all...... screwed. Medium term at least. Possible, maybe likely even long term.............

sigh.

snakeeater_za

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
and while on this topic I sincerely hope that Fermi can be affordable, green and give the 5 series AMD cards a run for their money, for if not, we will be facing the same situation to get affordable and decent pixel pushers. If we have to fork out heavily for CPU's and GPU's, PC gaming will lose even more ground to consoles in the invisible "pick your platform" war which seems to be in progress.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]snakeeater_za[/nom]PC gaming will lose even more ground to consoles in the invisible "pick your platform" war which seems to be in progress.[/citation]
The only ground that is lost is to the high-end entheusiast. Anyone with half a brain knows they can pick up a 2 year old card for $65 that has more pixel pumping power than any console. Don't forget that the Xbox 360 is 5 years old, it may have had technological and price advantage in the first 2 years, but PC hardware has upped in power and dropped in price in that time so the price/performance ratio is now better than consoles. All it has to do is equal it in FPS and resolution and it does all the other PC stuff as a bonus and it's real easy to match them on a budget these days.

retirepresident

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
There is a old saying figures don't lye but lairs know how to figure? Is sound like Intel must keep there shareholders happy. And TMS must keep Intel happy. Most business are upside down.

snakeeater_za

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The only ground that is lost is to the high-end entheusiast. Anyone with half a brain knows they can pick up a 2 year old card for $65 that has more pixel pumping power than any console. Don't forget that the Xbox 360 is 5 years old, it may have had technological and price advantage in the first 2 years, but PC hardware has upped in power and dropped in price in that time so the price/performance ratio is now better than consoles. All it has to do is equal it in FPS and resolution and it does all the other PC stuff as a bonus and it's real easy to match them on a budget these days.[/citation]

In all fairness, don't the GPU/CPU manufacturers make the VAST majority of their income off the "budget" below $150 segment?

And so "many" of our games today are xb360/PS3 ports? I am a firm believer in having only one gaming platform, and having lots of games etc for that platform only. Maybe if I was wealthy I'd feel differently but I am a lowly law student so I guess for me, the PC is the cheapest/most versatile platform. also we can pay up to R700 for PS3/xbox games here in South Africa ($100) which is just crazy. But forget the GPU argument - I stand by my above post concerning AMD v Intel.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]to bad they couldn't put out a decent integrated GPU. Instead they cockblock nvidia's chipset.[/citation]

[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]I didnt know Nvidia was trying to have sex with my computer![/citation]
^^^LMFAO!!!!

[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]We don't need to support anyone, this is not a football game, we are consumers not fans.AMD should get their act together and make CPUs that can compete with Intel performance wise, then, they'll get all the support they need in the form of sales.[/citation]

They would design CPU's that would trouce Intel's, but your money went to the monopoly and starved AMD of their income.

The consumers must fix their buying habits FIRST.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ereuter71[/nom]Intel makes a number of high-quality products that I want. Particularly the Nehalem CPUs and X25 SSDs. I'm glad to see Intel making a profit, because I want to see them continue to make excellent products that I want in the future.[/citation]
Me too.
I'm hoping we see a statement soon that intel drops an additional $5,000,000,000 into research this year. =D
I just hope AMD can finally get their act together.
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The only ground that is lost is to the high-end entheusiast. Anyone with half a brain knows they can pick up a 2 year old card for $65 that has more pixel pumping power than any console. Don't forget that the Xbox 360 is 5 years old, it may have had technological and price advantage in the first 2 years, but PC hardware has upped in power and dropped in price in that time so the price/performance ratio is now better than consoles. All it has to do is equal it in FPS and resolution and it does all the other PC stuff as a bonus and it's real easy to match them on a budget these days.[/citation]
I spent more on my CPU than my Xbox 360, oh well.
Some people want a platform that's cheap, simple, and just works.
However, some of us want to play Crysis.
>:)

anonymousdude

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]We don't need to support anyone, this is not a football game, we are consumers not fans.AMD should get their act together and make CPUs that can compete with Intel performance wise, then, they'll get all the support they need in the form of sales.[/citation]

So you want Intel to raise prices on CPU's and beside if AMD went out of business Intel would be screwed. Quite honestly Intel could destroy AMD in pricing as well, but they won't do that as they would be deemed a monopoly. Realize that every product needs at least two competitors to keep them in business and to keep prices down for the consumer. Even if you hate AMD the last thing you want is for them to fail.

mystoccowgod

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008

why did this get rated down...

Status
Not open for further replies.