News Intel Quietly Resumes Russia Support, Unblocks Software Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.
One for the US Congress to ponder, I guess?

I'd imagine the spirit of the sanctions would include "warranty obligations" in a very loose (or strict?) interpretation.

I can't blame Intel and Microsoft for allowing it, but interesting dilemma none the less.

As they've been doing this for a while now, I'd also imagine it's because authorities said it was ok? Maybe?

Regards.

Dave Haynie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
If they're doing this to honor warranty, you'd think that US Government sanctions would indemnify them against any legal action.

A more interesting response would have been not to end code download, but fill it with malicious code. So at some trigger point, all updated Russian computer brick themselves. You'd have to allow enough time before sending the trigger to allow lots of computer updates, and of course only supply these versions to users from Russia or Belarus. I guess we'll know if they did this, eventually.

If they're doing this to honor warranty, you'd think that US Government sanctions would indemnify them against any legal action.

A more interesting response would have been not to end code download, but fill it with malicious code. So at some trigger point, all updated Russian computer brick themselves. You'd have to allow enough time before sending the trigger to allow lots of computer updates, and of course only supply these versions to users from Russia or Belarus. I guess we'll know if they did this, eventually.

I was wondering if they installed honeypot software myself.

But that would work against Intel if relationships ever resumed. Would you allow your country to ever trust a hardware partner again if it was laced with spyware/boobytraps. I mean look how paranoid the USA is against Kaspersky, Huawei, and TikTok? (And for good reason)

Makaveli

Splendid
I was wondering if they installed honeypot software myself.

But that would work against Intel if relationships ever resumed. Would you allow your country to ever trust a hardware partner again if it was laced with spyware/boobytraps. I mean look how paranoid the USA is against Kerspasky, Huawei, and TikTok? (And for good reason)

hmm there are some legal gray area's when its comes to honeypots but ya that would break all trust going forward so probably bad for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.