Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I have an HP Pavilion DV2726ca. I had absolutely no issues upgrading to windows 10. But there is one problem I discovered after wards everytime I would put my Laptop to sleep and then waked it up and signed I would have no internet connection. I would have to right click the wifi symbol beside the clock and toubleshoot it the wizard would reset my wifi adapter and it would start working again. I wish there was a way to stop it from not being able to connect. what would make the wifi adapter need constant setting? laptop came with vista. I had windows 7 installed didn't have these issues. just wish windows 10

Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Inside device manager
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Date 8/15/2010
driver version 13.3.0.137
digital signer Microsoft windows.

shouldn't Intel be providing the Driver for my Wifi adapter? doing the troubleshooting all the time is a pain it doesn't take too long but if I could get help fixing this issue it would be much appreciated

Slashgeek

Admirable
Try installing these Windows 7 drivers from the Intel website:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22116/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-

Support for the 4965AGN ended with this driver, and it is explicitly stated that there is no support for it with windows 8.1 onwards. At least this driver is newer than your current one, though.

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

I know to choose the 64bit version of the driver but why is there one that is 25 Megabytes and another which is 77 Megabytes? I don't know which to choose.

File name: Wireless_15.3.1_Ds64.exe
File name: Wireless_15.3.1_s64.exe

they have the same version number. the same release date. the only difference is the Ds64 vs s64 not sure if one is just driver and other is driver and software

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I downloaded the smaller 64bit driver and I tried to install it a few times. it doesn't cause BSOD like installing drivers on my desktop does. when I enter device manger and look at my wireless adapter driver it has not being updated. when I tried to browse to the driver it doesn't make .exe files visible just folders.

I choose to pick a driver from a list I was using the intel driver I am now trying the microsoft driver.

Spacey123

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I'm fighting this same issue. I have a Lenovo X61 with Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter and just installed Windows 10 last night. WiFi works fine as long as I don't sleep. Once I return from sleep, WiFi is broken.

Win10 by default gives me this driver:

13.3.0.137 8/15/2010 Microsoft

If I download the latest "15.3.1" driver file from Intel, I end up with this:

13.4.0.139 10/7/2010 Intel

Yes, that driver number doesn't match what Intel's web site says of "15.3.1" but that is what it provides.

Anyway, no luck so far. Both drivers can't resume from sleep and the status gets stuck on "attempting to authenticate". Trying to connect again shows me all the WiFi networks (so the card works enough to scan) but still can't connect. So, it seems that the problem is specifically WiFi authentication that is breaking, not the entire card.

Disabling and re-enabling the device (either from device manager or network connections) restores connectivity until the next sleep. I've bookmaked this topic and will check back if I find a solution, but for now I think I'm stuck.

Spacey123

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Aha! I got it! Properties of the WiFi adapter -> Power Management -> disable "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I just slept 5 times in a row and it came back every time. I'm currently on the Intel driver, but I suspect this fix will work on the Microsoft driver too.

On a related note, a lot of people running win7 and win8 report that they get random WiFi disconnects where it drops and comes right back and they report that going to the advanced tab and disabling "802.11 mode" fixes this. I'm not going to make this change unless I see this problem happening, but I figured I'd mention it as it seems to have been common on win7 and win8 so we might run into that too.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/HP-Pavilion-dv6928us-Intel-Wireless-WiFi-Link-4965AGN-random/td-p/2807221

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

Okay I went to my wifi adapter and unchecked Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power I seen that option many times before since I kept going to device manager and trying to replace driver. I have put my computer to sleep twice and the wifi was still working. but I would have a few times where the wifi would work after a few sleeps and then stop working again. it stopped working more often then not.

Well I had my Laptop in Sleep mode all night and when I turned it on this morning and logged in the Wifi Was still working. you just might of solved my problem. I used to have to trouble shoot my wifi and it would end up resetting my wifi adapter which would cause the wifi to work again. it was such a pain,

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
after making the change not allowing wndows to turn off wireless to save power I haven't had to trouble shoot my wireless but today I got a brand new BSOD message I never got before

DRIVER_IPQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Netwlv64.sys)

Spacey123

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Yeah, the power setting fixed sleep, but once I left my laptop on for a while I found it was crashing several times a day. I did some searching and found many others ran into this problem on Windows 8 and said that disabling "802.11n mode" on the adapter fixes this. Since making this change, I have gone 24 hours without a crash so I think I have worked around that now too.

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

I went into my wireless adapter settings and disabled the N mode of the Adapter. I am still getting the same internet speed as before. www.speedtest.net

I posted my new BSOD error and the person who replied said I would have to upgrade my Laptops Wifi Adapter. Intel's website does clearly say the 4965AGN is not supported by windows 10

the problem is none of the newer adapters have three connectors on them. My current one has 3 wires connected to it the new ones only have spots for two. one site says I need to have the same number of connectors.

Choosing your new Wi-Fi card

There are a few things to consider when choosing your new Wi-Fi card. The first thing you should find out is if your laptop manufacturer uses a whitelist in the BIOS of your laptop. If your laptop's BIOS uses a whitelist, it's possible that the Wi-Fi card you want to use may not be supported. It's not something most manufacturers advertise, so you may need to spend a little time searching the Internet to find out. If you can't find a definitive answer, it's up to you to decide if you want to move forward and try it anyway.

The next thing to consider is the size of the Wi-Fi card. Locate the old Wi-Fi card in your laptop and check the size. Most new cards are half-height cards, but some older laptops use full-height cards. If your laptop isn't compatible with the newer half-height cards, you can try using a bracket adapter to make it fit.

Lastly, make sure that the number of antennas used in the new card matches the number in the old card. If you want to use a card that requires three antennas but you only have two, you can purchase a third antenna separately. You'll just need to spend some time figuring out its optimal placement inside the laptop.

Spacey123

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
My laptop has been running for 2 and a half days of uptime without crashing. So, it looks like disabling N did solve the problem for me.

I'm not sure why you're worried about the card not being supported. There's a good chance most of the hardware in your laptop isn't supported. If you go through your device manager and look at your drivers, I bet you'll find many of them have old dates. Probably every one of them that has a date older than 2015 is unsupported. All unsupported means is they don't make new drivers or provide any help anymore. That doesn't mean it won't work. In our case, it means they'll probably never fix the issues we're seeing. So, we're stuck turning off N and the power setting forever.

If you do still want to do this, I'll warn you that there are several things to worry about. Some cards are half length while others are full length. Lenovo's BIOS will refuse to boot if it sees an unapproved wifi adapter. And then there's the number of antenna connections.

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

well I was only worried if I was going to continue to have BSOD but ever since I disabled the N mode of the wireless adapter my laptop also hasn't had another BSOD. If my laptop continues to run I will be really happy.

I've heard about these whitelists I went to my BIOS and I cannot find any. That is the list of components that the laptop will accept.

My wifi adapter is a Full Size 2inch the newer ones are the same width but only 1" in length. it would fit if I did need to buy a new one. But I really don't want to put money into this laptop if I don't need to. I've been saving up slowly each month for a brand new laptop.

You've been really helpful Spacey123
Thank You

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
My desktop is in the basement where it gets cold. I bought the laptop so I would have a Computer I could use on the main floor where it is warmer. when I am on it I am also sitting in front of the TV watching something.

I am looking into getting a laptop with an i7 processor. I've been using http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ to compare the processors to my desktop CPU. I was looking at 4720hq and the 5700hq both blow my Desktop Core 2 quad 8400Q out of the water. by the time I have enough money the Skylake 6700hq will probably be out.

Skylake is brand new. the Broadwell was only a dye shrink of the haswell CPU. A Tick is a shrinking a Tock designates a new microarchitecture

Intel Pentium T2370
Codename Merom
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket P (478) (0x7)

Ryan House

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

I've been having to trouble shoot my wifi connection again. The Last thing We did worked until yesterday. now i've been seeing an X on the wifi icon on the system tray

Hellebore

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Intel supports up to Windows 8 (no 8.1 support). I had the same problem you're experiencing with Windows 8.1, but I fixed it with some help I found online back in the day. I'm upgrading to Windows 10 this week, that's why I found this thread.

So, the fix was to download the official 2007 drivers which set IRQL to -1 (if I remember correctly).
The drivers in question are 11.5.0.32 - link to my dropbox.
Maybe this link (Toshiba's website) will work, if you don't want to download from me.

Please reply if the problem is fixed, as I will face it in some days.

indian messiah

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi there , i am on the intel 4965AGN ( HP DV 9500) which is has dropped support in Windows 8.1 and above
i used to have such problems on Windows 10 on Microsoft inbox drivers

getting around 108-162 MBPS flucting speed on 5GHZ wireless N

After installing the Dell drivers http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R257701

Getting around 300Mps constant speed on 5GHZ wireless N and Internet download manager speed also increased
2IxojSN.jpg

PegrD2E.jpg

How ever u cant just runt the setup file , u have to go through the device manager and choose the INF in the V64 folder and it will install...

Riffraffak

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

deskicio

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Hi!

I have the same issue in my acer travelmate 6492 on windows 10.

I wasnt able to fix it but i found way to make the system "stable".

Just connect to a PPTP VPN, and the problem goes away. No need to stay connected to the vpn, just connect and disconnect right away.

If you reboot or disable the wifi card you will have to connect again to the vpn or the BSOD will return.

Hope it helps :)

Mohsin_Jiwa

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I have disabled the 802 mode and it seems that it solves the problem. I normally shut down and dont go to the "sleep "
I hope this solves my problem
Mohsin Jiwa
mohsin_jiwa@hotmail.com

Mohsin_Jiwa

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I have disabled the 802 mode and it seems that it solves the problem. I normally shut down and dont go to the "sleep "
I hope this solves my problem
Mohsin Jiwa
mohsin_jiwa@hotmail.com

[/quotemsg] It does not work anymore. Yesterday it worked fine. Today the same Problem

Mohsin Jiwa
mohsin_jiwa@hotmail.com

KareLAN

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
It does not work anymore. Yesterday it worked fine. Today the same Problem

Mohsin Jiwa
mohsin_jiwa@hotmail.com

[/quotemsg]

I'm having the same problem. Yesterday WiFi was ok, but now no WiFi at all.
I'm sure it has something to do with the new Windows10 release Microsoft rolled out yesterday!
No solution found yet (using a cable now :-( )

Continued:
I installed the old original (2007) DELL driver again and now I can see my WiFi network again and the network connection is stable. To be extra sure: I also disabled the 802.11n mode and the power management.

Alfio_74

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I have an HP 8710W workstation mobile, I'm Italian, I use italian software of Windows 10 pro 64 bit and I'm sorry for my poor english.
After the upgrade to Windows 10 I found many problem with Intel driver for ICH8M (solved by installing a previous version of Matrix software).
Also the INTEL 4965 AGN Wi-Fi adapter soffer the disable/enable recovery at every Windows restart, so I download the HP driver of my laptop instead of tricking the Microsoft drivers installed by default by Windows 10.

I read all the topic, so I try this solution. I'll test in the next days, for now installation was fine.
1. download from HP support the Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows 7 [sp51096.exe] version 13.4 (19 Nov 2010) http://h20564.www2.hp.com
2. right click and manually extract, unrar, unzip to a folder
3. go to the adapter Driver property found in the network options and manually update the driver with the version included in the folder you have created (I found the .exe don't work with Windows 10)
4. test and report if this is the final solution for your H/S configuration
Hope this help!
Alfio Maderna
alfiomaderna@hotmail.com

- Note that more information can be found in the revision history of the previous HP driver

TBayGuy

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

TBayGuy

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Thanks ! I was just about to revert back to windows 7 after liking a bunch of new win 10 stuff (diehard win7 fan) and your fix did exactly that for me. I had the same issue on 10 and got pissed off having to get the hardware troubleshooter to fix it each time. No probs now. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.