Question Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Windows won't boot with SATA Type = RAID, but will boot with SATA Type: = AHCI

Dec 29, 2020
Hi guys - long time reader, first-time poster.

So when I bought my laptop a few years back, it came pre-installed with Windows 7 Ultimate and with RAID 1 configured (using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST)). Unfortunately, I dropped the laptop last year and the OS refused to boot immediately afterwards.

Whenever the IRST ROM appears on the screen after powering on the laptop, the RAID 1 Array is listed on screen; however the status of the RAID Array is listed as Failed, and the Bootable status of the array is listed as No - after which, the BIOS would search for other bootable sources. I assumed that the hard disk was dead; however, after playing around with the BIOS settings, I figured out that I could get the OS to boot after changing the 'SATA Type' setting in the BIOS from 'RAID' to 'AHCI'.

Has anyone any idea how I could get the OS to boot with Sata Type = RAID, so I restore my RAID 1 configuration? At the moment, I'm running the laptop off a single HDD; however I would prefer to get back my RAID 1 functionality (using IRST if possible).

Any help is much appreciated.

Dec 29, 2020
so you replace the failed drive? and want to rebuild the raid?
Hi rgd1101 - here's the thing, neither of the drives has actually failed. Individually, I can boot both of them with SATA Mode = AHCI; however, when I set SATA Type = RAID in the BIOS, they will no longer boot - either on their own or as a RAID Array. In the eyes of IRST, the RAID 1 array has 'failed'. While both disks are out of sync, it is my understanding that the status of the array should be listed as 'Degraded' in IRST and not 'Failed'.