News Intel Rebranding its Chips With Meteor Lake: Core Ultra 5 Spotted

Meanwhile, it is hardly a good business to guess about the actual configuration of Intel's Core Ultra 5 1003H processor that allegedly has 18 physical and 18 logical cores.
That could either mean a possibility of 6 Performance cores combined with 6 Efficient cores (12 cores & 18 threads), or an inclusion of Meteor Lake’s SoC Tile with 2 additional Efficient cores.

In the latter case the the CPU config would be like 4 Performance, 8 Efficient, and 2 SoC cores (14 cores & 18 threads).
Guesstimate !

Edit: BTW, what a horrible naming scheme Intel has chosen. Confusing and absurd.

It appears that the "Ultra" moniker is just one branding that Intel is going to use to differentiate between various SKUs and segments. We can also think of Core Extreme, Core Max, Core Pro, and more but we'll see what Intel comes up with as its final choice.

Some SKUs may not even feature such identifiers though.

View: https://twitter.com/SquashBionic/status/1653040406538633217

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user
Does AOTS only show the free RAM or does it really have 3Gb?
That could either mean a possibility of 6 Performance cores combined with 6 Efficient cores (12 cores & 18 threads), or an inclusion of Meteor Lake’s SoC Tile with 2 additional Efficient cores.

In the latter case the the CPU config would be like 4 Performance, 8 Efficient, and 2 SoC cores (14 cores & 18 threads).
Guesstimate !
No HTT shows up as logical cores, a 6 core with htt is 6 physical 12 logical threads.
Maybe the ultra series will be e-cores only?! Or 16 e-cores and 2 p-cores without htt?

Reactions: salgado18

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Does AOTS only show the free RAM or does it really have 3Gb?

No HTT shows up as logical cores, a 6 core with htt is 6 physical 12 logical threads.
Maybe the ultra series will be e-cores only?! Or 16 e-cores and 2 p-cores without htt?
Considering an all-e-cores chip would be awful, I guess the software read wrong (by mistake or on purpose by Intel), and is has less physical cores.

Yes, even I don't think Meteor Lake will sport only E-cores on the chip. There has to be P cores as well.

Because as per Intel, the 14th Gen Meteor Lake CPUs will feature a brand new tiled architecture, and what this basically means is that the company has decided to go full-on chiplet.

As we already know that there are 4 main tiles on the Meteor Lake CPUs, even on MOBILE SKUs.

There's the IO Tile, the SOC Tile, the GFX Tile/iGPU & the Compute Tile. The Compute Tile comprises the CPU Tile and GFX Tile. So the CPU Tile is expected to feature "Redwood Cove" P-Cores and "Crestmont" E-Cores in a hybrid design.

Now ratio of P and E cores is not known yet, it could either be less P cores, and more E-cores, or vice versa. Or maybe some chips will sport a triple hybrid arch ?

• Triple-Hybrid CPU Architecture (P/E/LP-E Cores).
  • LP-E most likely is Low Power E cores. Or these could be the Atom cores that are deployed within the VPU (Visual Processing Unit) on Meteor Lake chips.
But according to @OneRaichu, there are only two LP-E cores on the Meteor Lake chips and those are present on the SOC Tile which means that these are the ones being used by the VPU.

BTW, AOTS bench shows the full available RAM I think, and not just the free memory. Though, this is the worst benchmark one can trust for any metrics.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
the company has also admitted that it will re-brand its venerable Core lineup with the arrival of Meteor Lake.
"admitted" makes it sound like they did something wrong. I wish they'd drop the "Core" part, too. It's unnecessary and sometimes confusing when you're also trying to explain how many cores a CPU has.

With the mention of Pro and Max, the author is clearly suggesting Intel might have a case of Apple-envy. Could be.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Considering an all-e-cores chip would be awful, I guess the software read wrong (by mistake or on purpose by Intel), and is has less physical cores.
They will definitely make an E-only CPU for Chomebooks and entry-level. Currently, those are being lumped under into the N-series. I would also expect them to continue being a monolithic die... but who knows?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/231819/intel-processor-n-series.html

The number of cores is way off the mark, for N-series. In Alder Lake-N, the max configuration was upped from 4 cores to 8 cores. So, that's where I'm guessing they'll stay.

Reactions: JamesJones44
D

Deleted member 2838871

You can see the change in management direction at the top of the marketing dept. Such a craptastic name they came up with... Geez... And here I thought AMD's naming for GPU and CPU families was bad...

Regards.

I saw a vid on YouTube earlier where the guy said that considering Intel had record losses last quarter that now is not the time to be breaking up the name recognition they've had for years for their processors. :ROFLMAO:

Kinda reminds me of when Apple went to the "Pro Max." They could have done a lot better.

Reactions: Why_Me

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I saw a vid on YouTube earlier where the guy said that considering Intel had record losses last quarter that now is not the time to be breaking up the name recognition they've had for years for their processors. :ROFLMAO:
Desperate times call for desperate measures? They've probably wanted to do a name-change for a while, but didn't want to upset the apple cart. When the market is down, they have little to lose.

Recall that they introduced the Core i naming back in 2009, when we were in another recession.

Another thought I have is that some people might look at their laptop and think "I already have a Core i5", so Intel could feel like they want to emphasize the improvements between whatever old machines people have vs. the new ones they're selling.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
They will definitely make an E-only CPU for Chomebooks and entry-level. Currently, those are being lumped under into the N-series. I would also expect them to continue being a monolithic die... but who knows?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/231819/intel-processor-n-series.html

The number of cores is way off the mark, for N-series. In Alder Lake-N, the max configuration was upped from 4 cores to 8 cores. So, that's where I'm guessing they'll stay.

An N-series that performed like a 12700 would be a good win. The N series today's performance is less than half of a 12700

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah, replacing the "i#" with "Ultra #" doesn't feel right, especially after the decades of "i#" scheme.
To me, it feels like Intel's way of joining the "GGGGamingggg XXXXX Super!!!!!!" marketing fad in a likely vain attempt to spice things up.

To me, the tendency of everything getting hype-focused branding is nausea-inducing. Part of the reason I picked the TUF B560M for my 11400 is because it was one of the least gamery boards I could get at the time that met my minimum requirements.

Kinda reminds me of when Apple went to the "Pro Max." They could have done a lot better.
Even if this rumor is remotely true, it's still going to be called intel and still going to be called core just the i is going to change, so ask that youtuber what kind of product recognition he thinks that i carries...

Intel's Core Ultra 5 1003H processor

Honestly the word "ultra" just needs to be dropped. Unless it's exceedingly leading class in some way, it doesn't even fit the definition of the word.
Did the i in core i had any meaning?!
Ultraportable is a word that exists in the mobile world, so it could just be telling people that this CPU is made for that type of product.

InvalidError

Titan
Sort of: it basically inaugurated Intel's new model numbering scheme.

I guess a branding scheme to coincide with Intel's first major consumer-oriented tile-based designs makes some sense. Ultra is still painfully gimmicky and you cannot make the "ultra-portable" argument stick if the "Ultra" branding gets applied to desktop too.

Ultraportable is a word that exists in the mobile world, so it could just be telling people that this CPU is made for that type of product.
It was likely following the "i" trend of the decade, thanks to Apple with it's many iProducts.

In case you're wondering, the first product I'm aware of to use this is the iMac, which the "i" stood for internet.

Reactions: bit_user

baboma

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
It doesn't matter what moniker Intel uses. If it's 'Ultra' people will just shorten it to 'U' anyway for everyday use.

I look forward to the MTL intro, but not for MTL itself so much as for the older parts, which will all take a hair cut to make room for the new parts. That Intel is launching only low/mid parts indicates that it's still working out the kinks on the new processes, and perf gain will likely be minimal.

But rest assured, MTL parts will be at a premium. So if it's bang/buck you're looking at, it will be with the RPL parts. The premium will not only be on the new CPUs, but also on new boards.

Giroro

Splendid
If you look at the Meteor Lake image on this story, that CPU tile has enough space for a 0P/18e (0P/20e max) arrangement but not any way to get to 18 physical cores if there are any P cores. They could do 1P/16e and maybe have 17 physical and 18 logical cores. But I doubt they would do that.
I doubt that accurately represents their biggest CPU tile, but IJS.
Although the pictured 4P/4e arrangement is probably a much better chip for most things, especially gaming. But, then Intel wouldn't be able to weasel their marketing into MOAR COREZZ is MOORE BETTARZZ!

I have one of their current 0P/4e N100 chips. It's not terrible for a <$200 mini PC (It's pretty usable compared to old Atoms and the 5 year-old dual core Celerons they put into $99 chromebooks)... but it's still noticeably behind "real" desktop CPUs. Plus, the CPU only supports single channel memory which is dragging things down for my purposes. It can run a 1080p30 OBS stream using hardware HEVC encoding, but just barely. I don't think adding more e-cores would improve the low-end feel of this machine.
Too many processes depend on having good single-thread performance and a full instruction set to have zero fully-featured cores in your CPU. But maybe their new e cores will work differently, somehow.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
To me, it feels like Intel's way of joining the "GGGGamingggg XXXXX Super!!!!!!" marketing fad in a likely vain attempt to spice things up.

To me, the tendency of everything getting hype-focused branding is nausea-inducing. Part of the reason I picked the TUF B560M for my 11400 is because it was one of the least gamery boards I could get at the time that met my minimum requirements.
This feels like a move that some young guy in marketing wanted to "Be Different" for the sake of it.

Reactions: Why_Me and bit_user

InvalidError

Titan
Now that you mention it, I suspect it was inspired by Apple-envy of a different era. Back then, iPod and iPhone were the trendy products, so Intel probably thought iSomething was "cool" and tried to borrow some of Apple's cachet.
Intel slapped 'i' in front of numbers long before that though, like the i740 and I'm almost certain I've seen much earlier Intel chips with iXXX model numbers on them.