News Intel Remains World's Largest Chipmaker as AMD Enters Top 15

Co BIY

Splendid
AMD doesn't make chips. They're basically double-dipping by counting AMD and TSMC in the same chart.

TSMC is a unique animal that wouldn't fit neatly on any chart. It's revenues are "double counted" with regards to almost all of the other companies on that list including Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm, Broadcom, Apple because they are all large customers of TSMC.

Nvidia, Qualcomm and IBM buy foundry services at Samsung. "Double counted" also.

This chart by sales revenue is interesting in showing the comparative market importance of these companies but it is a very complicated ecosystem.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Well, for those who keeps thinking Intel is dead, think again...this chart shows just how far ahead Intel is compared to AMD. So, despite all the performance and adoption of Ryzen CPUs or whatever you have read, its just chipping away Intel's market share. The DIY market is just a tiny segment of the entire PC market. OEM like Dell, Lenono and HP is Intel has the volume.

Dragonking_1

Commendable
Mar 30, 2020
Well, for those who keeps thinking Intel is dead, think again...this chart shows just how far ahead Intel is compared to AMD. So, despite all the performance and adoption of Ryzen CPUs or whatever you have read, its just chipping away Intel's market share. The DIY market is just a tiny segment of the entire PC market. OEM like Dell, Lenono and HP is Intel has the volume.

You cannot count Intel out of race for sure. That was probably never an issue of contention, I think, but yeah, many people did not realise the sheer size of Intel. The issue was Intel being able to ramp up its R&D and produce viable results and compete with AMD on the new footing. With AMD showing consumers a taste of lower cost (at least upto Ryzen 3000 series) and power/performance ratio, we need Intel to get back into the groove and start innovating like it once used to do and not stagnate. Also true for the Enterprise space. This is important for so many more reasons that just volume sales to OEM I mean.

And you can only chip away the health of a giant. It doesn't matter to AMD if its the top chip maker. What matters to it, is increasing its revenue in the end. To compete with Intel is just a way for that. And with ARM looking to venture more into the space, its gonna be great, I can only presume.

The world is moving really fast towards so much more now. I am looking forward to Intel's debut into dGPU's next. A possible 3-way competition in graphic cards -- gonna be epic. I wish there was a solid contender to nVidia's workstation graphics. AMD is nowhere in that space still. Only if Intel can show up there in a few years.

People also seem to think Intel only makes CPUs and motherboard chipsets.

They also make storage solutions, networking chips, FPGAs, and... well enough to fill that "Products" drop down menu they have on their website.