Intel Returns To Memory Manufacturing, Future Of IMFT In Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
XPoint. I will replace my 4770k rig if they make this. Your CPU will be the limiting factor. Maybe future upgrades will be the bandwidth at which you access this. XPoint makes ssd's look like optical storage.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

No need to replace the CPU. The bottleneck is always the memory. Even if Xpoint is faster than SSD it's still slower than RAM.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
XPoint. I will replace my 4770k rig if they make this. Your CPU will be the limiting factor. Maybe future upgrades will be the bandwidth at which you access this. XPoint makes ssd's look like optical storage.
Your basing your comments on some slides and advertising blurb from Intel about how amazing their new tech will be.
AMD did the same thing with Fury X, a hundred billion times faster than the Titan X..... Fail.
Be careful about believing company hype, it's often used to drum up share prices at opportune times. CEO is about to cash out better hype up this new hard drive...

As said, XPoint is currently slower than system memory (i.e. DDR3 or DDR4). That can change through parallel (striping) of data I suppose but for now the chips are likely going to start in more expensive, mobile devices where power is a concern.

Also...
An i7-4770K should be a great CPU for a long time. DX12 games will extend the life of it for several years as DX12 is not only more efficient but can also use more threads efficiently.

Thus upgrading the system memory would give minimal to no benefit. The best upgrade would be the GRAPHICS component such as an NVidia Pascal that's faster than a GTX980Ti.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Intel isn't aiming Xpoint at the consumer sector initially and hasn't been forthcoming on when it will. By the time it's really a factor for a desktop system your 4770K will have had a long fruitful life and any machine incorporating Xpoint will likely also require a newer generation of CPU and infrastructure to exploit properly. Faster generations of PCIe and more lanes allocated to provide the needed bandwidth.

We've just barely entered the era of PCIe connected storage becoming a mainstream consumer product. We've got several years to realize the full value of that before Xpoint really enters the picture for most people.

JavaGuy147

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

If you think that even if we dropped one of these into a current machine that the CPU would be the bottleneck you are naive. The processor runs circles around memory, which runs circles around current storage. Even if this replaced RAM so that RAM doesn't bottleneck, the CPU would be plenty fast to deal with it, especially since the access latency would still likely be large compared to the processor clock. You would be very surprised how much common processors sit around waiting for everything else to [finally!] complete their tasks.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
As said, XPoint is currently slower than system memory (i.e. DDR3 or DDR4). That can change through parallel (striping) of data I suppose but for now the chips are likely going to start in more expensive, mobile devices where power is a concern.

Also...
An i7-4770K should be a great CPU for a long time. DX12 games will extend the life of it for several years as DX12 is not only more efficient but can also use more threads efficiently.

Thus upgrading the system memory would give minimal to no benefit. The best upgrade would be the GRAPHICS component such as an NVidia Pascal that's faster than a GTX980Ti.

I read it won't be coming to DIMM until at least 2017 (some up to 6TB per pcworld) so I have some time left on my haswell. Pretty hyped about pascal too as I have 2 780ti's.
And for DX12 ... They already use tiled resources, draw calls are way up, how much tex and shader cache could you stash on a TB of ram? Probably won't be a game where you could mod the draw distance, or textures up to stupid, but I can hope.
Was hyped over the fury as well. Still mad at those 64 ROPs.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
They are investing in memory technologies because it can eat on big but slow HDD manufacturers share of the market. Storage industry will also become bigger as more data is produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS