Intel Reveals More Details of Ivy Bridge Variants at ISSCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Not sure if Ivy will be a worthy upgrade over my 2600k @ 4.5 other than slightly better temps from the lower nm process and slight bump in speed 10-20% I've read about. But may do it anyway just to have the latest greatest, along with 2 GTX 680s in SLI. 2560 x 1600 res ftw.[/citation]
Don't waste your money. You already have it made. Wait for a few years.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
My tax return is burning a hole in my packet. I have a Q9400 right now and I want to upgrade badly (not that the Q9400 is horrible). I was just planning on getting a 2500K right now. Should I just try and wait it out?

makasin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
i am trying not to get a 2600k and spring for the ivy, cause I want better performance in skyrim. all my other components are decent, could use more ram or OC my i7, but I think ill spend the money on a full new system once they come out

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]looniam[/nom]http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 63-13.htmlno difference with an i3 to i7![/citation]

That benchmark is based on single player. But when it comes to Multiplayer, its a whole new ball game.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
[citation][nom]makasin[/nom]i am trying not to get a 2600k and spring for the ivy, cause I want better performance in skyrim. all my other components are decent, could use more ram or OC my i7, but I think ill spend the money on a full new system once they come out[/citation]

thats ignorant and were have you been? its pretty common knowledge that bf3 multiplayer likes a quad core.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
"a small volume of Ivy Bridge chips will be available in April "

What the hell does that mean? What's a small volume for Intel? What type of CPU's are they - mobile or desktop? Who's getting them? Is Apple getting the CPU's first? Apple doesn't participate in the sticker program, and can give Intel media Buzz that no other PC maker can duplicate. Is that what is meant by small volume? I'm interested but also very bothered by the total lack of details.

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
What the hell does that mean? What's a small volume for Intel? What type of CPU's are they - mobile or desktop? Who's getting them?

It means that OEM orders will be fulfilled first, and then what little is left will be released to the retail market. For you and me, it means there is going to be a backorder on Apple's new MBP when it is released this spring, so order as soon as possible if you're interested, and NewEgg will run out of stock minutes after putting them up for order, much like what happened when they got a limited stock of 7970's a month ago.

lucifersloofa

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]cbrunnem[/nom]thats ignorant and were have you been? its pretty common knowledge that bf3 multiplayer likes a quad core.[/citation]
I've been fine with games up until now. the e8400 oc's well. It's had it's time in the sun, It ran crysis now for bigger and better things

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Not sure if Ivy will be a worthy upgrade over my 2600k @ 4.5 other than slightly better temps from the lower nm process and slight bump in speed 10-20% I've read about. But may do it anyway just to have the latest greatest, along with 2 GTX 680s in SLI. 2560 x 1600 res ftw.[/citation]

I would say it probably isn't worth it. I've got a 2700 @ 4.6 myself, and I have no plans on upgrading until the next die shrink, as that usually comes with a new socket as well. I might trade up for a new motherboard when they are release though, as I'm not really impressed with the P8Z68 Deluxe board I'm running right now. Word is they'll support USB3 natively, and won't have to offload the second row of SATA3 connectors to 3rd party controller like my board does. Depends on what other features the new boards come with, and how they are priced.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I think the funny part is people that already have Sandy Bridge chips want to upgrade to Ivy Bridge when all they are doing is wasting their money for the most part. The only thing that's worth upgrading to Ivy Bridge is PCIe-3 maybe, but even with that said no gpu card unless you are running two top of the line gpu's in corssifre mode can even come close to taking advantage of that much bandwidth. Even with that said you'll be lucky with the current top of the line gpu's out now to hit PCIe-2 limits in corssfire mode let alone anything else. I'm running a first gen Core i7 cpu and i have no plans on upgrading anytime soon, because there isn't a real good reason to for me unless i actually see a night and day diff in the work i do on my pc to go upgrade.

makasin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
[citation][nom]cbrunnem[/nom]thats ignorant and were have you been? its pretty common knowledge that bf3 multiplayer likes a quad core.[/citation]
Huh? I think you might have misquoted somebody. Anyways, I was talking about Skyrim. I get decent FPS though with everything set on high. I use a mod now that replaces some function calls with optimized ones and now its great. My video card isn't the bottleneck, so most games are fine, just the ones that aren't super optimized for 4+ threads like skyrim (which is 2 threads mostly), since my 2.66 only goes up to 2.8GHz in turbo mode. I haven't really OC'd because of my stock cooler. Would anyone recommend an OC with my stock cooler if my idle temps are around 41-48 on light load (2 browsers, a bunch of tabs, and email client). It's probably my GPU, since it's at 52C idle and 70s under super load. It's the gigabyte one that blows hot air everywhere. Ive got all my case fans populated. I just feel like if Im going to buy a new case (which I will) and new ram, I should just get a whole new setup, with the exception of GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.