Intel Revises Heatsink Design For Desktop, Xeon CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz_music

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
It's engineering: This is a cost reduction exercise on the heatsink and a user install improvement for the frame. They can take out a slight amount of metal from the heatsink fin area that has little effectiveness (saves metal), while also using a simpler manufacturing technique that is circular. The plastic change appears to help people install it easier. In reality though, the heatsink thermal resistance will go up, ever so slightly due to the total fin surface area reduction. But overall, a good move for Intel.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If it still uses the nearly useless "push-pin" connectors, then the new ones will go where my old ones go.....to the recycling bin. I have found Intel OEM HSFs to be pure junk because they don't mount as securely as I require.

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
They can take out a slight amount of metal from the heatsink fin area that has little effectiveness (saves metal)

I betcha the reason they did it now is that they upgraded the assembly robot so that it can now safely grab circles.

crysex

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I never used these shyts. I got like 10 of these throw around my house. I use it for cool down my balls some time.

If they're changing the cooler, why not change it for the better than a change that no matter how much they say it is visual, seems to just be a way to reduce the BOM slightly? Even AMD can make some pretty good stock coolers, but Intel refuses to make anything half-decent.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The change is made so that people with older CPU's can buy a boxed set instead of the lower cost OEM packaged CPU's and simply use the old intel heatsink.

With this change, users upgrading their CPU will be forced to buy a new retail package. (more profitable for intel)

There are many people who use the stock cooler because they have no plans of overclocking.

This isn't really news. My i5 760 I got over a year ago had the "new" design. It had the round base rather than square.

In any case, *yawn* wake me up when they come up with a better mounting solution than the craptacular push pins they have now.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]don't see the point...if it works the same i don't see why it needs to be changed[/citation]

If it has no effect on performance, then its most likely a cost based change, companies don't generally do design changes unless it improves product performance or reduces manufacturing costs. In this case I'll go with option B.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]don't see the point...if it works the same i don't see why it needs to be changed[/citation]

save a tiny bit of metal and plastic. its the same reason most dice have pips and rounded corners, it saves plastic and thus thier materials cost goes down. if they can save .01 cents per cpu fan and sell 1,000,000 cpus then they save 10,000 bucks

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Who uses them? I have two unused Intel stock coolers sitting here at home, any takers? When you buy a processor, this is probably the most costly thing in the box, in terms of material and shipping. It's the heaviest and most spacious thing in the box. When I'm buying an Intel processor, I'm buying their know-how in processor design. I'm not shopping for their "splendid" stock coolers (although I'm sure they get the job done). I'd say, separate them from shipping with the processor and subject them to the free market!

Status
Not open for further replies.