News Intel says 13th and 14th Gen mobile CPUs are crashing but not due to the same bug as desktop chips — chipmaker blames common software and hardware...

Jul 20, 2024
So Intel knows enough about bug #1 to say that it's a separate thing from bug #2. Still, they haven't said anything at all yet about bug #1 and I have no idea if my 13700KF is about to combust. Do I have this right? Lol?

If I missed something let me know.

So Intel knows enough about bug #1 to say that it's a separate thing from bug #2. Still, they haven't said anything at all yet about bug #1 and I have no idea if my 13700KF is about to combust. Do I have this right? Lol?

If I missed something let me know.
We don't know what we don't know, but we are positive that what we didn't know last week is not the same as what we don't know this week!

Amdlova

Distinguished
"Intel is aware of a small number of instability reports on Intel Core 13th/14th Gen mobile processors".

Small... Who want define what is small?

For me is 70% of all 13 and 14 gens cpus is dammed even the Doom guy can't kill all these cpu.

From the independent investigations I follow, it is looking like oxidation of the copper vias due to contamination during tantalum deposition is the most likely culprit as even low power Intel chips suffer the same symptoms.

I know Intel undoubtedly put out this statement because the majority of their market is laptops but this does nothing but muddy the waters in my opinion. It's an acknowledgement that they know what the problem facing desktop parts is but haven't said anything. I understand that there are legitimate reasons for keeping quiet (most pressing being to make sure they have enough parts for replacement as this seems inevitable) but this has taken on a life of its own and they need to stop it.
From the independent investigations I follow, it is looking like oxidation of the copper vias due to contamination during tantalum deposition is the most likely culprit as even low power Intel chips suffer the same symptoms.
Based on this Intel statement that seemingly wouldn't be correct as every RPL part uses the same manufacturing process and the HX line are B0 die like the desktop parts are.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
As a Intel Raptor Lake mobile CPU user, so far I have not seen any crashes after like 3 to 4 months of usage. I am not a heavy gamer, so the issue may not surface that soon. Let's see.

Having said that, Intel either already know what is the issue since they sound very confident in their response here, or they just want to prevent the damage from spreading across to their mobile product, which is one of the main revenue generator for Intel. Because it is one of the main income generator for Intel, it also means it is one of the biggest headache for Intel if they had to recall these mobile processors.

Before you go to sing AMD's praises, remember the Ryzen 1000 issues? Errors, especially in Linux, requiring a replacement, and my personal one just up and died, plus they don't support Windows 11 officially. And then there was the whole TLB issue with the first generation Phenoms that cut performance by 10% and was only fixed by the xx5 revision parts. Then there was the whole Bulldozer derived years which resulted in abysmal performance and a class action lawsuit.

And let's not forget the fact that Ryzen 1, 1.5, 2, and 3 (if not newer ones as well) will not always hit their rated boost frequencies even in "short, lightly threaded workloads" even when set with no power limits, increased PBO speeds, and beefy liquid cooling because of faulty AMD algorithms that somehow has not drawn a class action lawsuit.