Intel Shows How a CPU is Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmv915

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]http://cgi.ebay.com/Collectable-IN [...] dZViewItemi want one of those keychains!![/citation]
Lol, this wouldn't happen to be your auction eh?

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Saw this on APC's website, lol, pretty interesting stuff, but hey, at least Intel and AMD have got plenty of resources (sand) to keep making processors!

annihilator-x-

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Instead of 'sand' is the second most frequent chemical element, the article should say 'Silicon' is the second most abundant chemical element.

Abundant is a better word as well as the fact that sand is mostly quartz among impurities and other minerals. Quartz itself is Silicon Dioxide crystals.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I already know that a cpu can die due to overheat deteoration or due to electromigration, but that happens all during use. I always wondered how many years could a cpu or any other chip survive if always turned off!
Maybe if turn off and praticly never used, our descendents could find perfectly working exemplars of our primitive cpus after what...2000 years or more!

Ah sorry about the relatively off topic subject, that's the efect of Life after people series on History Channel!

aggiebroz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If anybody ever gets the chance, its really cool to take a tour of a microchip fab. Plus you get to wear to awsome suits.

Back about 4-6 years ago in high school I got to spend a week at AMD fab 25 (was in the process of being transferred to Spansion) in Austin, TX which now makes flash memory instead of cpus(used to make k6 and k7 chips). The clean room there is actually a higher class than most of the new cpu facilities because they actually transfer the wafers in an open container between stages of manufacturing. The guys giving us the tour said they would kill us if we touched a wafer or pressed any buttons.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Copper ions are deposited onto the transistor thru a process called electroplating.
Come on... that's just... *sigh* Tuan... that's not just a typo, that's outright msngr terminology...

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
If anybody ever gets the chance, its really cool to take a tour of a microchip fab. Plus you get to wear to awsome suits.

Back about 4-6 years ago in high school I got to spend a week at AMD fab 25 (was in the process of being transferred to Spansion) in Austin, TX which now makes flash memory instead of cpus(used to make k6 and k7 chips). The clean room there is actually a higher class than most of the new cpu facilities because they actually transfer the wafers in an open container between stages of manufacturing. The guys giving us the tour said they would kill us if we touched a wafer or pressed any buttons.

A friend of mine used to work for AMD in Austin and in his office had several wafers mounted on stands and even several dies used to transfer the images to the wafer, was pretty awesome. Too bad AMD layed him off, funny cause he left a job at intell to work for amd.

dicobalt

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
That's an amazinly simple process to make a chip. I especially like how the multiple layers are made, that's so elegantly simple. The whole process looks like there is so much that could go wrong though. How do you polish a surface so smooth it's flat even on the atomic level? How do you prevent physical atomic level damage between manufacturing stages? How do you ensure contact between layers is perfect and there are no atomic sized airholes so to speak, is it perfect? Do I have little atomic sized vaccums inside my CPU between layers? Those are the most confusing parts to me. I guess I won't get an answer to those questions because the answers are what keeps intel in business lol

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]boss84[/nom]Sand is an element??? OMG![/citation]
sand (earth), fire, water, and air. am I missing any? I don't think so :p

you build the chip from earth, power it with fire magic, and tame the fire elemental inside with air or water if you are a really leet druid

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
grammar error on page 5: "When Intel first began making chips, it company printed circuits on 50 mm (2-inches) wafers."

"it" should be "its"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS