Intel Shows Light Peak Laptop Pushing 2 HD Videos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Mmm, well hopefully if this DOES become the absolute universal standard that would abolish the proprietary cables. There is nothing that pisses me off more than having to deal with just one cable and if you loose it you have to pay a shitload of cash for a USB cable that just looks a slight bit different one one end and has a brand name on it.

I don't hold anything much against Intel save for their wallet raping figures but I would like it if this does come to pass. The only problem is that while there is massive potential for it, there are multiple bottlenecks that people seem not to think about or turn a blind eye to:

1) The bottle neck caused by the hardware component in the case of data transferring. Let's face it, a 5400 RPM HDD can't make use of USB 3.0 max 5Gb/s transfer rate and SSD's are still developing but the rape on your wallet is something that average Joe's or tight budget people aren't going to touch for a few years now.

2) There's the motherboard southbridge, it has to stay transferring the data at it's max speed so to make full use of it, you have to get a high priced motherboard. Sure the tech will improve but even today, USB 2.0's 48MB/s (Take into consideration the large B for BYTE not BIT) max transfer rate end up being more in the low 20's and high 10's (In MB/s) on your typical 5400RPM external HDD and there's the southbridge bus speed that you'd have to take into account.

So essentially, even if you have a USB 3.0 external HDD. For it to be of any actual use you'd have to get a 7200RPM first off, secondly the motherboard would have to be able to have some decent bus speed. So I think that the 10Gb/s rate (1280MB/s or 1.25GB/s) transfer rate is something that's a bit away in the future. Even modern high end SSD's only seem to reach about 100MB/s in contrast to those massive rates I've said a bit above.

[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]I didn't even think of that. So all this is good for is self powered devices. You can't even use a thumb drive with it? I'm a bit less optimistic about this now.[/citation]
Why not just put a little solar cell on the device and mix a strong, steady light of a frequency not being used for the data?
Yes, I'm kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.