Intel Shows Off 8-Core, 128 Thread Nehalem-EX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If 2-thread HT typically yields anywhere from -10% to +10% performance, does 16-thread HT yield anywhere from -160% to +160% ? SRSLY, some people continue to buy every bit of Intel marketing BS that comes out, HT has always been a complete waste of transistors, this article is worthless without benchmarks(note: NOT synthetic benchmarks, real benchmarks).

hikayu

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
i guess we're not so far away from having a supercomputer in a desktop anymore eh ? with this speed , by 2012 , i'll have an 8 core computer like this on my desk . probably 32-40 nm but who knows ? we're so close to breaking moore's law.

G

Wait, what an epic fail of an article and title, it is NOT an 8-core, 128 thread, although you'd have to CAREFULLY read the whole article to figure that out though. It seems little different than previous Nehalem CPUs, just some ridiculous claims of increased memory bandwidth. SRSLY, why not just say:

"AMD and Cray demonstrate Dual-core, 10,000 thread Opteron"

Fail.

Yes, but can it run Windows ME, and be stable? THAT is the question!!

But seriously, 8 cores. Man, software hardly supports 4 cores, let alone 8. I adopted the Quad Core and know that a couple of my cores probably sit near idle most of the time as it is. Probably won't be jumping on any 8 core CPUs any time very soon.

But, if game developers can start writing engines to take advantage of 4, or 8, or more cores, I might actually consider. :) Course, we'll see how much these suckers cost when they come out. Maybe then I'll upgrade to the i7 chip. ;)

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wow, you'd have to have a pretty poorly coded app to be taking advantage of 16x hyper threading. seeing as how all hyper threading does is run another thread when the thread it was running stalls for some reason. mind you, it will be good for running tonnes of apps at once, as the extra cache should make for faster thread/app switching as well.

gwiz1987

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
FINALLY!!!! now we can simulate the meaning of life! ;P
but seriously, with this architecture, this leaves room for an improved Larabee

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]I could understand if the 8 core has 2HT for each core; that would make 16 threads simultaneously; but 128threads is rather... unbelievable...128threads are probably not for the average small business anymore[/citation]

If you read carefully, that is 2 threads per core. With 8 cores per chip each capable of 2 threads and supporting 8 sockets IE 8, 8 core chips would be 128 threads

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Who cares about useless threads if nobody is going to program them. Mores cores is better and AMD product will be on the market much sooner. Good luck intel, your products are too expensive.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I realize that 90% of the people using personal computers do not need this much power, but I do allot of batch processing of photos and HD Video (1080p 24/30) editing and if this chip was out as an extreme edition for $1000 now I would buy it, maybe even 2 of them, but 4 years from now when it actually might hit the $1000 price mark, it will be worth maybe $50 to me, so I really could care less about this announcement, I am sure the that chip is around 3-5k each when they are released

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]Area51[/nom]It should be 64 and not 128... 4 CPU's each 8 cores... that's 8*4=32 Cores. Then add HT thsts 32 * 2 = 64[/citation]

8 sockets, so 8 CPUs with 8 cores each (64 cores) x2 for HT = 128.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I agree, the title is misleading. It is an 8core 16 thread Nehalem-EX.

It should either state 8 and 16 the way it is written now.. or change the title to state the new platform can support a 64-core, 128 Thread set-up.

G

you know the difference between the current mac xeons and a pc xeon/i7 computer? the OS, really thats the only difference, so people who think macs are faster and amazing i will laugh at you and build a hackintosh for 1/4th the price (that's of course i want that crappy os).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]One quantum processor can make 3000 times more calculations in a single second than this load of crap! Too bad, no one is making quantum computers more affordable.[/citation]

Ha nice.
Nothing like cooling metals to the point of no resistance. :)

Now I want to see if I can reach that point with -270C (3.15K) liquid helium on a silicon pentium D. See how that overclocks. >:)
The liqiud helium I've heard used for overclocking was cold enough fir the silicon to reach the point of super conductivity.

On the PC side very few programs need more than a cheap tri-cores. This said PC software will be ready for an 8 core CPU in about 10 years. Granted servers are different but like all CPU's will see a transitioned to the PC.

I want a tri core at a stock speed of +6Ghz not an 8 core with 5 cores doing nothing. The GHz race will never be over just postponed when software can use more cores.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I think Intel and some other company are developing a programming language to take better advantage of the cores and threading; this stuff is awesome.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
This chip is for high-end servers, not toy servers, workstations, macs neither for enthusiast gamers...
So stop drooling, and you shouldn't be saving money for it.
It makes no sense to ask yourselves what kind of applications use the 128 threads. Don't compare this with your PC, even if it's the daddy of all PC's (or macs).

I wonder why all these misleading titles on THG... maybe it's because of it's target audience... wannabe tech savvy people.

Just google "nehalem ex" and you'll find professionally written articles on it. No misleading, no day-dreaming of monster cpus, just the clear picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.