[SOLVED] Intel Smart Response how effective it is ?

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
System:
Intel 9100F
KINGSTON 16 GB RAM DDR4
Asus Exb365m-v5 Motherboard
Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4gb OC Edition
Corsair Power Supply 650watts
WD GREEN 2TB
KINGSTON SSD NOW V300 120GB
(Specifications)

I'm having a small SSD of 120GB as OS Drive ,I'm going to run out of space soon !
I'm a developer and most of the software just needs to be installed on C Drive, else problems occurs.

I was thinking of using my 2TB Hard drive as my OS Drive(500GB) with a Data Partition, & using Intel Smart Response Software to boost Hard drive performance using SSD as a Cache.

Will my SSD die more quickly?
Currently health shown is 94%, in Crystal Disk Info & HDD Sentinel.
Used it for 5yrs as OS Drive.
According to spec sheet it has 64TBw endurance.

Is it a good option, rather than only HDD as OS drive?

What are things I should consider, optimization tips follow to get most out of it?

Last edited:
Solution
Not really. I'd just install Windows and your applications to the SSD, and put any game files on the HDD for now until you are able to get another SSD if you wish to.

I have a pretty fair number of professional applications, random apps and other software installed, plus game launchers from practically every one out there, and so on, and I'm barely using 85GB on my primary OS SSD. So long as you put your actual game files elsewhere, it shouldn't be a problem and will be much faster than any kind of caching scenario anyhow other than for the actual launching of games or loading of maps, textures, etc. when running games. That's something most people can live with though because it has zero effect on actual gameplay or FPS, if gaming is...
Not really. I'd just install Windows and your applications to the SSD, and put any game files on the HDD for now until you are able to get another SSD if you wish to.

I have a pretty fair number of professional applications, random apps and other software installed, plus game launchers from practically every one out there, and so on, and I'm barely using 85GB on my primary OS SSD. So long as you put your actual game files elsewhere, it shouldn't be a problem and will be much faster than any kind of caching scenario anyhow other than for the actual launching of games or loading of maps, textures, etc. when running games. That's something most people can live with though because it has zero effect on actual gameplay or FPS, if gaming is a consideration at all.

For other things, including the OS and any applications you run, that will always be much faster if they are ON the SSD. If you need more than 120GB space for the OS drive, then consider leaving off some applications or whatever for a while until you can upgrade the SSD to something larger. That would be my advice.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99
Solution