Intel SSD 335 240 GB Review: Driving Down Prices With 20 nm NAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Read only the conclusion. Most of these SSD's are "me-too" clones using SF2281 controller. Most have similar performance wins and pitfalls.

I was super excited about Samsung 840. But these are meh.

christophermarti

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I would say that your estimates about P/E cycles are incorrect. You also do not mention (on purpose) two modes SSD's (99%) operate in: performance mode (not filled to 90%) and storage mode (filled 90% and more). You also lack to mention that in "middle of" P/E cycle exhaustion SSD's will slow down their speed due to preserve P/E cycles and "survive" to meet warranty agreements.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm/page211

From test exposed in this forum You can draw conclusion how good MLC used in X-25v 40GB SSD were (more than 35000 P/E). Also that longest "standing" SSD is Samsung 830 256GB, which also do not (as an exception) slow down considerably when it passes 1PB Host Writes mark.

Although I strongly do agree that seing writes above 10GB per day is rather rare. I'm myself using 80GB X25-M for 4 years and only 4,09 TB and i is possible that it will hold up to 1400 - 3400 TB of writes! That's amazing. What's more, I have it in Dell E6400 on Vista (no Trim, just Intel toolbox).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]christophermarti[/nom]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forum [...] ost5148307 - 1000 P/E cycles (not even close to 35100 of 50nm old V40 GB).[/citation]

keep in mind that is still 240000 gb of data at minimum

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]christophermarti[/nom]I would say that your estimates about P/E cycles are incorrect. You also do not mention (on purpose) two modes SSD's (99%) operate in: performance mode (not filled to 90%) and storage mode (filled 90% and more). You also lack to mention that in "middle of" P/E cycle exhaustion SSD's will slow down their speed due to preserve P/E cycles and "survive" to meet warranty agreements. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forum [...] nm/page211From test exposed in this forum You can draw conclusion how good MLC used in X-25v 40GB SSD were (more than 35000 P/E). Also that longest "standing" SSD is Samsung 830 256GB, which also do not (as an exception) slow down considerably when it passes 1PB Host Writes mark.Although I strongly do agree that seing writes above 10GB per day is rather rare. I'm myself using 80GB X25-M for 4 years and only 4,09 TB and i is possible that it will hold up to 1400 - 3400 TB of writes! That's amazing. What's more, I have it in Dell E6400 on Vista (no Trim, just Intel toolbox).[/citation]

Our calculations and endurance protocol are not effected by any speed slow down, and in every test, we've confirmed our methodology applies a WA~1%. Thus, are estimates are correct and apply to the NAND itself.

Second, the speed of a drive has no inherent bearing on endurance. It only affects how fast you can get there. Second, you're referring to a throttling effect, which is a different topic completely. Our analysis was specific to the NAND itself.

As further verification, another one of my peers (at another site) independently came to results for the SSD 335 similar to ours.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
how come vertex 4 did not get tested? didn't ocz offer 5 years for their vertex 4, and i believe they're offering them at cut-throat pricing?

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
One thing i notice is that with an Antivirus program(Kaspersky Internet security) running in the background, which 95% of Toms readers would have, the AV program reads and writes data almost continuously. In a typical day, the AV program can write 5-6GB of data.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Power consumption made me laugh. 1 watt difference between the best and worst. Time for another 1 line standard SSD review comment, "Power usage on SSD's matters little between the best and worst."

And please keep reiterating the most important thing about an SSD is getting one. Ran into SSD resistance on another forum just a couple weeks back, which, at today's price points, blew me away.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]cumi2k4[/nom]how come vertex 4 did not get tested? didn't ocz offer 5 years for their vertex 4, and i believe they're offering them at cut-throat pricing?[/citation]

Look again. It is included in our benchmarks.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]One thing i notice is that with an Antivirus program(Kaspersky Internet security) running in the background, which 95% of Toms readers would have, the AV program reads and writes data almost continuously. In a typical day, the AV program can write 5-6GB of data.[/citation]

By default, Anti-virus programs (like norton) now implement "smart scanning." One something is scanned, it's not scanned again unless the file signature has changed. Dramatically speeds up a scan and reduces the amount of IO traffic over the course of a day.

G

please provide a link with the OCZ drives that you used casue they are having multiple products with the same name but the speed vary.

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I reckon 10 GB per day is perfectly possible. Possibly much more. You fail to take into account things like having swap drives, which may or may not see high throughput. Also, if a laptop is setup to not only suspend to RAM but also to disk upon hibernation (Macbooks suspend to both at the same time by default, and my Kubuntu-installation does as well if the battery runs a bit low), which happens many a time per day, you'd get there quite quickly, I presume. 7 GB per day is a very conservative estimate in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.