News Intel Targets AMD, Slashes 10th Gen Chip Prices

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Intel seems to have things under control, and next month, if they can release a full product stack, should have CPU's in that $200 price range that will be faster than AMD's fastest for mainstream use.
So, you expect an i5-11400 to be faster than all of Intel's current mainstream lineup as well then? That seems a bit optimistic. : P

If you're building a gaming rig then Intel has the edge.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/p/N82E16819113567 <--- $365 and it loses out in regards to gaming more times than naught vs Intel's $150 i5 10040F.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
It's completely nonsensical comparing the value of a 6-core processor against an 8-core model that way. Today's games tend to not see much benefit from going over 6-cores with 12-threads, so you should be comparing against the readily-available Ryzen 3600, not a 3700X, especially one that's being sold at a price well above MSRP by some random third-party seller at a store that's otherwise out-of-stock. You could have at least linked to one of the other online stores that has the 3700X in stock at MSRP, if not the far more logical comparison of the Ryzen 3600 at $200. And you could just as easily say that there is no real reason to buy an i7 or i9 for running today's games, as those extra cores won't be doing much in most cases, at least not yet. It's very possible that the additional cores will provide more benefit as games begin targeting the new generation of consoles though, which all feature 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen processors that are much-improved over what their predecessors had.

The 3700X is also a prior-gen processor at this point, and is now getting a bit harder to find, since I doubt AMD is dedicating any significant amount of their limited 7nm production toward them. Hence, why they are out-of-stock at the site you linked to, with only a higher-priced third-party option available. If you are going to link to out-of-stock hardware in the $300+ range, you should probably link to the current-gen 5600X instead, as it can be over 20% faster than a 3700X in CPU-limited gaming scenarios.

Hence the reason I stated 'gaming'.

1440 benchmarks.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-10400f/16.html
And comparing 1440p Ultra gaming results as a measure of CPU performance? Even with the 2080 Ti being used for those benchmarks, performance was virtually identical between a majority of CPUs in that list, as the frame rates were largely graphics-limited. Even the budget quad-core Ryzen 3300X performed within about 5% of an i9-10900K there. Again, it's a bit of a nonsensical comparison, and the only thing it shows is that for running today's AAA games at 1440p, all of these CPUs perform about the same, whether AMD or Intel, mid-range or high-end. And with a more mid-range graphics card, the results would be grouped even closer together at 1440p, more like the 4K chart, where even a first-gen Ryzen 1600 is shown to perform within 3% of the fastest processor in the list.

The i5-10400/10400F is a decent gaming processor though, and I would say it is arguably a better deal than the Ryzen 3600 at current pricing. Performance-wise, the two are generally shown to perform about the same in games, with some review sites showing the 3600 slightly ahead when the 10400 is installed on a non-Z-series board where it can't take advantage of faster memory speeds, and the 10400 slightly ahead when it can. Realistically, any performance difference between the two should be imperceptible. The current ~$40 price difference arguably gives it a bit of an "edge", though the 3600 was that price for much of last year, until AMD's 7nm manufacturing capacity became tight, stretched between their new CPUs, GPUs and console APUs.

In any case, with the graphics card shortages as they are, none of this ultimately matters much. You are unlikely to be able to build a reasonably priced gaming system right now, so whether one is able to save a little money by going with one CPU over another is irrelevant.

Intel's moving laptop and desktop to 10esf starting with Alder Lake. Sapphire Rapids and Xe-HP are also using 10esf.
And maybe that's why intel waited until now to release that many 10nm products, and maybe they won't even release alder for desktop as soon as they say.

We will have to wait and see but it's fun to speculate until then.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
So, you expect an i5-11400 to be faster than all of Intel's current mainstream lineup as well then? That seems a bit optimistic. : P
I didn't say anything about Intel, but at stock clocks, I would think, yes. That doesn't mean every single test you can come with will show the 11400 ahead of a 10900k, but very little mainstream software scales well beyond 12 threads, so the 11400 should consistently be ahead. AMD's CPU's don't overclock at all despite being unlocked, so the 11400 being locked isn't an issue vs AMD.

Reactions: Why_Me
I am glad to see this. Competition and price cuts are a good thing, no matter if you root for team blue or team red.

In mid summer both me and my brother chose to get a Ryzen 5 3600 for ~$160 off of Amazon and I personally do not regret it for a minute. It offers fantastic performance and thanks to getting several generations of support on AM4, It was a drop in replacement in my B350 motherboard.

In general I think the 3600 is a better product than the i5 10400f. While the performance is similar in games, the 3600 wins in a lot of productivity (not all), supports pcie 4.0, and most importantly is able to be overclocked in even inexpensive motherboards. Additionally, you are not limited to 2666mhz ram speed no matter what board you put the 3600 in, unlike the silly 2666mhz limit on the i5 in locked boards.

You can get a B450 for as little as $60, although you will want to spend about $90 for a decent B550 which will be better for overclocking and support PCIe 4.0

However, If I was building now, I would probably end up with a 10400f and a B460 motherboard of some sort. With these price cuts and the 3600 going back up to MSRP or slightly below, It makes Intel more appealing.

I really cant reccomend the 10600k. Its mostly a 10400f (minus cooler) but with an unlocked multiplier and some better clocks from factory, for a fair bit more money. Also the downright dreadful pricing of Z490 at $150 for the cheapest boards (which still don't support PCIe 4) makes the 10600k seem even worse. Sure you don't "need" Z490, but paying extra for a -K CPU then limiting yourself to slow ram and stock clock speed with a B or H series board seems silly.

I can't reccomend most AMD CPUs right now either for the sole reason of not being able to buy them.

I am glad to see this. Competition and price cuts are a good thing, no matter if you root for team blue or team red.

In mid summer both me and my brother chose to get a Ryzen 5 3600 for ~$160 off of Amazon and I personally do not regret it for a minute. It offers fantastic performance and thanks to getting several generations of support on AM4, It was a drop in replacement in my B350 motherboard.

In general I think the 3600 is a better product than the i5 10400f. While the performance is similar in games, the 3600 wins in a lot of productivity (not all), supports pcie 4.0, and most importantly is able to be overclocked in even inexpensive motherboards. Additionally, you are not limited to 2666mhz ram speed no matter what board you put the 3600 in, unlike the silly 2666mhz limit on the i5 in locked boards.

You can get a B450 for as little as $60, although you will want to spend about $90 for a decent B550 which will be better for overclocking and support PCIe 4.0

However, If I was building now, I would probably end up with a 10400f and a B460 motherboard of some sort. With these price cuts and the 3600 going back up to MSRP or slightly below, It makes Intel more appealing.

I really cant reccomend the 10600k. Its mostly a 10400f (minus cooler) but with an unlocked multiplier and some better clocks from factory, for a fair bit more money. Also the downright dreadful pricing of Z490 at $150 for the cheapest boards (which still don't support PCIe 4) makes the 10600k seem even worse. Sure you don't "need" Z490, but paying extra for a -K CPU then limiting yourself to slow ram and stock clock speed with a B or H series board seems silly.

I can't reccomend most AMD CPUs right now either for the sole reason of not being able to buy them.
The 10400F is currently going for $150 on newegg. Next month Intel releases Rocket Lake. Those cpu's support 3200MHz RAM, PCIe 4 and a much improved IPC. Look for the 11th gen. 11400F to go for $160 - $170 USD.

B560 boards in the $120 - $150 range if I had to guess. I'll use these ones for an example but more of these B560 boards from all board manufactures are showing up on websites every few days now.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B560 Steel Legend/index.asp
ASRock B560 Steel Legend

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B560 Pro4/index.asp
ASRock B560 Pro4

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560-TORPEDO
MSI MAG B560 TORPEDO

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B560-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf
GIGABYTE B560 AORUS PRO AX (rev. 1.0)

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B560-PLUS/
ASUS PRIME B560-PLUS

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...e-date-specifications-performance-all-we-know
11th gen. Intel Rocket Lake cpu's

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Intel is clearing inventory and producing revenue on its mature and high yield 14nm wafers as it starts to move into the more risky smaller nodes. Makes sense even without throwing AMD woes into the mix.

Reactions: Why_Me and Gurg
TSMC has spend 18bil last year on expanding, intel got a new FAB online last year and is always expanding and I'm sure samsung and even glofo are expanding as well.
AMDs console CPUs are going to stay at 7nm for several years and basically AMD could stay at 7nm for their whole line up for a few years without it hurting them.
Things are very crammed right now but this is not going to go on for very long unless everybody needs to be on the latest node all the time just to make a sale.

This may be a shocker but zen 4 and rdna 3 will likely require 5nm. I mean AMD can just keep making the chip bigger forcing lower margins as intel & nvidia makes fatter profits off tsmc's 5nm node. That new node will also be a faster and use less power.

7nm will not keep them going for years yet. It's close as it is. I don't think Alderlake will win the war for intel. I think it's more a laptop chip due to the hybrid design. But dang it will light a fire under AMD and that does make me happy. Competition is good no matter what side you sit in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
This may be a shocker but zen 4 and rdna 3 will likely require 5nm. I mean AMD can just keep making the chip bigger forcing lower margins as intel & nvidia makes fatter profits off tsmc's 5nm node. That new node will also be a faster and use less power.
Making the chip bigger or paying more for the lower node, I wish there where somebody that could answer which one is more expensive. Although if you look at the huge chips intel is selling and the amount of money they are making...

A new node would make some things faster by allowing more transistors per same size which then would negate your margins theory because AMD would have to use the same amount of more expensive new tech of wafer for the new chips , and more transistors also use more power as we have seen with the 5000 series.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
You forget one thing... Intel has NEVER done anything "for consumers". It's all about profit. ...
Yes. When was the last time Intel dropped the prices on their most current CPUs? Normally they don't drop the prices, period, not even after releasing a newer generation.
The fact that they reduce the prices at all should be the headline here. It's really telling about their desperation to sell...

I agree on most comments here. So situation right now...
Couldn't agree more on the entire post!

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... both me and my brother chose to get a Ryzen 5 3600 ... It was a drop in replacement in my B350 motherboard.
While you did get a nice upgrade I would in the same situation (which was my plan back in 2017) have gone one step further and opted for an eight core (most likely 3700X) instead, to get a couple of extra years of service out of that motherboard (and CPU).

The fact that they reduce the prices at all should be the headline here. It's really telling about their desperation to sell...
That would have been news if that was what happened...
As you correctly stated intel doesn't drop prices even after the new generation comes out because they are still making the older ones for some time for OEMs or direct replacement parts and they always keep the same prices.
THIS TIME IS NO DIFFERENT. MSRP for the 10700f is still $300, it's amazon clearing out storage space for new product.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0700f-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html
Vs. this article.
Normally, Intel’s processors tend to cost more than AMD’s, but according to the latest listings for the company’s 10th generation CPUs, that trend appears to have reversed for now. Take the excellent Intel Core i7-10700F processor, which is currently $229 at Amazon. On January 30th, less than a month ago, the price was $315, and it’s been steadily falling since.

While you did get a nice upgrade I would in the same situation (which was my plan back in 2017) have gone one step further and opted for an eight core (most likely 3700X) instead, to get a couple of extra years of service out of that motherboard (and CPU).
I guess it depends somewhat on what CPUs they were coming from, but a 3700X would have also cost over a hundred dollars more, for what will probably be a negligible difference in performance in the vast majority of games for a number of years to come. Even a 3600 should provide roughly comparable multithreaded performance to the new consoles, due their lower clocks and reserved threads, so I would expect it to hold up reasonably well. I suppose any next-gen console games that inevitably target 30fps on those platforms might be hard to get near 60fps on such a processor, but the 3700X probably wouldn't fare much better due to it not offering much more performance per-core. And ultimately, that extra hundred-plus dollars might provide more benefit if put toward graphics hardware down the line.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... a negligible difference in performance in the vast majority of games for a number of years to come. ...
And the big question is what that number (of years) is.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's three or less, so five years from now an eight-core should do better. Just look at the evolution up to now: In 2017, when the first Ryzen were released, four logical cores was the sweet spot.
Now it's often decidedly better to have eight logical cores (at least 4C/8T), and that's just in three years.
With the new 8C/16T consoles games will make better use of sixteen threads, sooner rather than later.

Then how come most Swedish retailers also dropped the price around feb 1? And it doesn't apply to any other SKU! If it was a clearance sale it should affect most of that generation of CPUs.
Because swedish retailers expect to get a shipment of 11th gen as well?!
Also I can easily believe that the 10700f was one of the least searched after CPU, you would go for a K skew if you had money or the 10400 for budged.

And the big question is what that number (of years) is.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's three or less, so five years from now an eight-core should do better. Just look at the evolution up to now: In 2017, when the first Ryzen were released, four logical cores was the sweet spot.
Now it's often decidedly better to have eight logical cores (at least 4C/8T), and that's just in three years.
With the new 8C/16T consoles games will make better use of sixteen threads, sooner rather than later.
There's likely to be less of a difference once you get to higher core counts, since processors can run additional threads on underutilized cores. Even in a heavily-multithreaded game, there will likely be one thread limiting performance more than others, and many of the processor's other cores will be at least somewhat underutilized, leaving room to run additional, lighter threads on them.

And of course, in 2017, 4 threads had already been the norm for new mid-range gaming PCs for the better part of a decade. So developers knew the vast majority of systems had those threads to work with, while higher thread counts were less common. From around that point up until Comet Lake launched less than a year ago though, mid-range desktop processors from Intel only offered 6 cores without SMT. Some games might be more heavily multithreaded, but for the most part, developers want their games to run reasonably well on common mid-range hardware, and 6-cores with 12-threads only became the norm for that quite recently.

Another thing to consider is that while the new consoles have 8-cores with 16-threads, game developers only get access to 7-cores with 14-threads, as the others are reserved for background tasks. Between that and the lower clock rates, it's likely that a Ryzen 3600 should be able to offer a comparable level of multithreaded performance. I suspect there will be some examples of games within the next few years or so that might run a little smoother when additional cores are available, but that's likely to be the exception for quite a while.

Another thing to consider is that while the new consoles have 8-cores with 16-threads, game developers only get access to 7-cores with 14-threads, as the others are reserved for background tasks.
The real thing to consider is that developers for the previous consoles where forced to use multithreaded techniques due to how weak the jaguar cores are, with the ZEN 2 cores being like 10 times faster (whatever it is) the devs are gonna be like, hey wait, why bother.
A lot of things that need a lot of cores on the ps4 will be able to run on a single core on the ps5.

Also you can't design a game for a specific number of cores, you use a thread for each task of a game which will result in a number of threads that each will use different amounts of CPU , then you take all the things that are extremely/Embarrassingly parallel and make them run on all available cores including the ones that already run lower power threads.
The problem is that some console devs don't limit the parallel part by any means other than what you mentioned, the amount of cores they get to work with, instead of limiting the amount by the FPS you get or at a percentage of all available cores.