News Intel to Change Raptor Lake CPU Roll-Out Plan

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
I doubt anything significantly changed in the Raptor Lake plan, else they would have made a bigger deal of pulling in the schedule.

"desktop SKUs this fall, followed by our mobile family by the end of the year"

... that's from the MF transcript of the earnings call. I'd guess that's CEO speak for starting to work with the OEMs in low volume by Dec 31 ... kind of like the SKUs of SPR that he continued to talk about in the earnings call.

Reactions: KyaraM and kjfatl

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
I doubt it has much if anything to do with Zen 4.
I think they want to get all launches into Q4 to have a better earnings report for the quarter and year, after that historically weak Q2.
Just my thoughts, of course. I'm not an economist.

shawman123

Reputable
Aug 13, 2020
Most likely the reason for it is ZEN4 launch this fall.
There is no way we will see any mobile zen 4 this fall. Rembrandt is barely available at this point. That would be more like mid next year. Even on Raptor Lake, I doubt we will see any laptops this year. There are delays these from cpu launch to product launch unlike say 10 years ago or before, when we would see laptops available within weeks of cpu launch.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
So, Intel is troubled by zen4 and going to match zen4's launch date.

This is not unexpected. From what we have seen from leaks etc, raptor lake is indeed faster but not by much. This means zen4 is likely on par with RL.

If Intel launches RL much later than zen4 but didn't get to outperform it, RL could be seen as an inferior product or failure.

The bulk of alderlake's performance advantage over zen3 comes from its superior clock speed and additional power headroom. But this no longer holds since zen4 will have similar clocks and power headroom.

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Most likely, the yield production yield is high enough to go to high volume production immediately. Odds are that Raptor Lake will cost Intel significantly less to manufacture than Alder lake. Even a $10/chip lowering of production cost is significant.

Reactions: shady28 and KyaraM

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
There is no way we will see any mobile zen 4 this fall. Rembrandt is barely available at this point. That would be more like mid next year. Even on Raptor Lake, I doubt we will see any laptops this year. There are delays these from cpu launch to product launch unlike say 10 years ago or before, when we would see laptops available within weeks of cpu launch.
Raptor Lake and Alder Lake are pin compatible. This allows motherboard manufacturers to roll out a new design quickly without having to use up old motherboards and components. If Intel can deliver parts early, the PC manufacturers can do the same.

Reactions: shady28

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
So, Intel is troubled by zen4 and going to match zen4's launch date.

This is not unexpected. From what we have seen from leaks etc, raptor lake is indeed faster but not by much. This means zen4 is likely on par with RL.

If Intel launches RL much later than zen4 but didn't get to outperform it, RL could be seen as an inferior product or failure.

The bulk of alderlake's performance advantage over zen3 comes from its superior clock speed and additional power headroom. But this no longer holds since zen4 will have similar clocks and power headroom.
Nothing has changed with desktop Raptor Lake. They're allegedly moving up the launch of mobile Raptor Lake which has nothing to do with Zen 4.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

I think you'll see the Intel parts this year. For some reason AMD likes to announce laptop chips and then doesn't deliver for like 6-9 months afterwards. Seems like a marketing ploy to me.

Case in point - AMD 'announced' Zen 3 mobile in Jan 2021, but even their lead-in Asus Rog Zephyrus with 5900HS wasn't available for review until July/Aug 2021. Intel laptops have been available to buy within 2-3 months after announce.

tracker1

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
tracker1.dev
I'm pretty sure this will mostly be a paper launch until November/December, and likely is preemptive as a response to Zen 4 which looks to be a hair better than 12th gen Intel. There are a lot of benchmarks getting leaked on both sides.

As a Linux user, Intel 12th gen needs a bleeding edge kernel, so not likely to shift at all until at least spring. My 5950X works really well at the moment. PCIe 5 storage options are likely to be what gets me to move to the coming gen either way, and I'm unaware of any m.2 pcie5 drives yet for consumer platforms.

From leaks, looks like the bang for the buck segment 13600k/7600X will be very competitive depending on pricing... Guessing $300 give or take.

I also think the mobile release from Intel is too get back ahead on battery usage. AMD has had the lead between the two for the past few releases.

What will be very interesting is the generation to follow. Intel seems to be getting behind a little on that front. AMD is by all accounts on track. That's where the server space with really heat up.