Intel to Manufacture 22nm FPGAs for Tabula

Status
Not open for further replies.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i know of certain fabless companies who could benefit from intel's foundries... ;D[/citation]

Now that would be an interesting twist. I'd actually like to see Nvidia go to Intel as a foundry client, but nothing short of a merger could see that happen.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
If NVIDIA was to use Intel's foundries, AMD would be screwed on both CPU and GPU camps. Uh... we would have a short period of enjoyment only to go into a deep dark era of high prices and frozen development.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Filiprino[/nom]If NVIDIA was to use Intel's foundries, AMD would be screwed on both CPU and GPU camps. Uh... we would have a short period of enjoyment only to go into a deep dark era of high prices and frozen development.[/citation]

You make a solid point. Let's have AMD remember how to make CPUs while we're at it, then.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Didn't AMD have intel build their chips when they started out?
I vaguely remember that, or was it IBM?

Anyways... Spacetime sounds cool, integrate it with highend cpus and ur good to go =D

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
@ memadmax
IBM wanted to make a cheap computer, and the research team used Intels 8086 vs IBMs offering. Intel got the contract with a condition. There were to be several companies to produce the chips. Most of the companies only lasted through the 286 era. AMD was always able to offer the same namesake chip with slightly more power than Intel, but they would always follow the Intel launch. The Intel 486 was the last chip that AMD coproduced with Intel. The next sets of processers were the first independent processors; Intel with Pentium (5xx) and AMD’s famous Athlon were the next development. It is only from this that AMD still has the right to produce Intel’s x86 instruction set. Their own extension AMD 386-364 is just an extension of the x86 but it also became a bargaining chip with Intel.

This is a brief and very rough history; I am saying this now before Im marked down.

[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]Can not care less about switches, routers, and packet inspection appliances.[/citation]
good for you! I mean it's not like those types of things are integral parts of your computer, the internet, your car, your home network, your peripheral devices, your TV, your Cable, your cell phone, the flow of data that keeps our economy in tact, your ability to communicate with loved ones and business partners (and random people from other countries), your video games, etc. I mean, the advancement of this type of tech is just simply not important. :p

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
From articles I have read it seems that other foundries are not capable of implementing process improvements like Intel can, High-k dielectric and tri-gate are apparently difficult to implement. I don't think some companies will have much choice but to ask Intel to make their processors if other foundries start falling behind, causing big performance gaps. At the rate Intel is building factories, I believe they may be preparing for this.

robojox

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Again AMD can catch and surpass intel. how?

They need to ditch 2d manufacturing and move to 3d design. How? We need E shape or U shape like a bath tub or tray for ice cubes.
That would let them pack in more circuitry and transistors and have a heat sink inside it to keep them cool.
AMD beat Intel on parallel computing. Why?
We want the pc not to hang or stop when the internet goes down. We want windows to be more stable. If we can have two copies of windows running. Or even make a drive to auto switch between Linux and windows. Work with VM ware to get it working.
It if was a instant switch back and forth runing on two separate cores. That would make things more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.