Intel to Pay Nvidia $1,500,000,000 for Licensing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]decembermouse[/nom]This is big. I kinda doubt we'll see Intel mobos with Nvidia chipsets but one can hope! One can also hope that they'd overclock decently.[/citation]

how dumb is that comment..?

[citation][nom]kitekrazy1963[/nom]Sounds like a bail out or an arranged marriage to reduce legal battles.[/citation]

I almost laughed out loud at that one, lol. Too funny.

It sounds like Nvidia is cashing in some of their chips and who can blame them? It also sounds like there are bigger talks in the background for later news of either a partnership or a buy out.

Time moves fast so we will see soon enough whats going on. Its at least fun to thing theres something up even if theres nothing to it...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]decembermouse[/nom]This is big. I kinda doubt we'll see Intel mobos with Nvidia chipsets but one can hope! One can also hope that they'd overclock decently.[/citation]

It says that it excludes "certain chipsets" which would be it does include certain other chipsets. It probably excludes all of Intel's mobile ventures.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Why is everyone going nuts. they are just renewing thier licence agrement.. jesus people. nothing is changing nothing is happening. Intel and nvidia have always had this licence. Even AMD and Intel have a cross licence agreement what else is new.

nVidia: "Intel, you know I got you by the b#llz, right?"
Intel: "Yeah, I know. I just can't make any decent graphics without your bloody patents and I ain't asking AMD for pity. I already gave them 1.x Billion over some sh#t in Europe"
nVidia: "Then pay up wh#re! You know you can't live without me"
Intel: "Sure, just wait and I'll buy your sorry #ss someday. Now here's 1.5B I just found on my left shoe yesterday"

Cheers!

verbalizer

Distinguished

I like where your head is at..!

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Probably won't see nVidia chipsets for the H2 socket, especially considering how many functions have been shifted to the CPU die. Right now there are a few P67 boards with NF200s, I'm sure putting pressure on 1366 sales some. I'm sure part of the deal was to allow nVidia to continue selling those chips, but not full blown chip sets. The CEO is on record saying that they are out of the chipset business and moving those resources to SoC which make sense given the growth in portable devices.

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]lets home this improves the quality of nvidia products (with the exception of desktop cards post-8 series), and sounds like there both gaining something here, and AMD sure isnt going to be happy about the results here...[/citation]
read the next news article header about dirk meyers lol

G

"Since Intel does not have the graphics expertise to compete, "

Intel freakin' owns the graphics market with their built in graphics chips. Not everyone's a gamer.

IB

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Nobody said Nvidia was dead *facepalm* . You're acting like more fanboy/troll then anybody else right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.