Intel to Pay Nvidia $1,500,000,000 for Licensing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Well since it does not look like Nvidia will be making any new AMD chipsets (dammit!) this is the next best thing Nvidia can cash in on. Freaking wish AMD would have SLI on boards for Dozer when it comes out. AMD really put themselves in a corner not continuing that relationship.[/citation]

SLi doesn't work on Intel or AMD/ATI chipsets because of nVidia, its NOT an AMD issue. Hence, CF (CrossFire) works on intel chipsets... but maynot work on Nvidia (I don't know if nVidia is blocking it or AMD is).

nVidia came into the chipset market with a loop-hole from the Xbox(original), and by the time nForce2 came out, they exceeded VIA and almost equal to intel chipsets back in the early-mid 2000s. Now, VIA chipsets were good to great since the KT-133~KT400. But some nForce boards included a pretty good onboard video and feature set that VIA didn't have access to. And the nVidia name had more "market worth".

With the ending of Core2 chipsets, nVidia had no license to talk to future intel CPUs. So... thats that, just low-end Core2 replace boards for the $50 market.

nVidia still makes chipsets for AMD CPUs, but again - for the bottom end $50 price market with sub-par products with limited expansion... like 2 memory slots. So unless nVidia changes something... they'll always be the bottom end, with VIA sitting right next to them on the step.

For performance, sales, stability, certification... intel for intel CPU and AMD for AMD CPUs ends up being the best combination.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
Why are there so many amd fanboy here. Those amd fanboys are scared now. Keep on bashing nvidia for all your graphic insecurity. nivdia + intel = more years of second fiddle for amd.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Well since it does not look like Nvidia will be making any new AMD chipsets (dammit!) this is the next best thing Nvidia can cash in on. Freaking wish AMD would have SLI on boards for Dozer when it comes out. AMD really put themselves in a corner not continuing that relationship.[/citation]

nvidia never really stopped making chipsets for AMD , but fact is that the AMD chipsets geenrally do better with AMD/ATI graphic cards than nivida Chipsets do with AMD/ATI graphic cards. ask me it's a case of nvida shooting them selves in the foot with thier own chip set drivers *shrug* bassically for this reason most companies don't bother to carry the newer Nvidia chip sets for AMD boards , and most AMD fans don't get them either.

ask me all these companies should put thier money where their mouth is and open their licenses up for to their competitors, if their products are really that much better than teh competition then they should sure be able to beat the other with thier own tech (such as nvidia swapping with physx or AMD with eyefinity, would be neet just to see waht AMD could do with physx). aside from openign up the palying field , it would definitely give the industry more reason to adopt physx and or eyfinity both if the two companies started swapping licenses in the same manner intel and nivida do.

P.S. any oen that ever said nvidia was going to die , is a total retard , nivida is the 800 lbs gorrilla in teh graphics industry , it's the equivilant of saying Intel wiill die ,it just wont happen , at elast not in our life times and certainly not over night. that said you nvidia fanboys. need to get your ehads out of your anal cavities as well. stop pissing turpintine on brush fires. so some AMD fanboy made an a-- of himself sayign nvidia would die,big whoopie i can say the sky is red doesn't magiaclly amke it red. god i hate fanboys.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]Good for nVidia and Intel.Not sure what and if this has much to do with AMD at this stage though.[/citation]
Well currently AMD's best chip is outperformed by some of Intels new mainstream chips, and Nvidia has shown increasing signs they are interested in getting into the CPU market, (and $1.5 billion sure would help speed up R&D!)....so this means if AMD's new chip architecture doesn't put out some incredible numbers they could quickly become obsolete. I definitely wouldn't be buying any stock in AMD right now!

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
After years and years of failures on the graphics section, Intel did what it knows best: They bought other company's research!! :D

Seriously, Intel's graphics chipsets on laptops are a 'don't buy it' tag. Intel probably found a good chance to bust a move, now that NVidia had some financial problems and chipset failure setbacks. This deal will hurt NVidia in the long run, mark my words..

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]teh_integr4t0r[/nom]Besides, Nvidia chipsets weren't all that great compared to any recent AMD or Intel chipset, the overall quality of PCs are better now that VIA/Nvidia and whoever else aren't putting out crappy chipsets, it's just part of the continued integration of the PC.[/citation]

WWWHHAATTT?!?!
680i SLi practically changed life, First high end mobo i ever bought and intel had no chipsets to challenge it at the time. 780i/790i was pretty spiffy too. The only reason they aren't as "high quality as modern chipsets" as you put it is because they weren't allowed to make them for intel's new processor!!! i bet if allowed, we'd see something better than the now old x58. x58 only seems so "high quality" because we totally lack options otherwise (not including amd procs)... nvidia crappy chipsets.. pshh...

Didn't we all know it was going to happen??? This was way back when AMD actually tied up with ATI.... this was a move forseen a long time back..... it's like a package deal now, buy AMD and ATI is bound to function in good harmony with it, buy Intel and now it's going to have lesser problems with Nvidia and greater problems with AMD..... a move to compete with the Processor market and the GPU market at the same time...... It's more like a Payoff then a business deal, if you were to ask me... :)

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
ATI and AMD, same thing with Intel and nVidia. As consumers, we really want both companies to succeed to prevent price gouging.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
well ... once again ... intel will using nvidia , copycat all their tech and pattern and kick them away after it again ......
why can't nvidia tag with AMD ? i miss the day of nfoce + athlon64 tag team

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]well ... once again ... intel will using nvidia , copycat all their tech and pattern and kick them away after it again ......why can't nvidia tag with AMD ? i miss the day of nfoce + athlon64 tag team[/citation]

because Intel will be history

howiejcee

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I'm happy for both Intel and Nvidia because they continue to make quality products and wish them continued success.

On the other hand, ATI continues to make pretty good HW but unfortunately w/ lousy drivers...

AMD's CPUs aren't bad for value though so hopefully they can keep up.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Belardo:"SLi doesn't work on Intel or AMD/ATI chipsets because of nVidia, its NOT an AMD issue. Hence, CF (CrossFire) works on intel chipsets... but maynot work on Nvidia (I don't know if nVidia is blocking it or AMD is)."

Since when does SLI not work on Intel Chipsets, your wrong. There are many x58 chipsets that are SLI and for AMD the last newer SLI capable chipset was the 980a. My point is that AMD with the release of the 890 chipset and future ones are not going to be SLI capable, Dont worry about CF, i am not talking about that in either post.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Aw, come on.

I would call what Intel did to AMD way worse than anything nVidia had to complain about. Yet somehow AMD gets 1.25 and nVidia gets 1.5.

This irks me.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Intel will have continued access to Nvidia’s full range of patents.

About a week ago when SB reviews started to appear, I stated that NV needed to start licensing their GPU technology to Intel because they were eventually going to get squeezed out of the marketplace otherwise. Unless I am mistaken, this agreement might be heading in that direction. NV is still constrained from selling chipsets for some architectures (X58? P67? H67?)... and even if they weren't, their chipset development team has been dissolved. So now they can make discrete GPUs and SoCs. Most of the market for GPUs is in IGPs (and now APUs / SB), and NV have zero opportunity there with the current Intel and AMD architectures. The discrete GPU market is shrinking as low-end performance advances (look at what happened to the mainframe vs. workstation markets; same thing). NV knows this, and is trying to find a lifeboat for their admittedtly-good design team. I would not be surprised if Intel becomes - or even, already is - that lifeboat.
Otellini: NV, how much $ would you need to redesign your Fermi 560 chip to be produced on our 32 nm fab process?
Huang: Geez! Like, about a billion dollars!
Otellini: OK. Here's a billion and a half. Get started, and send us the lithography when you're done. Before you're done. We have this annoying, pesky fly *cough* AMD *cough* that we can't seem to kill off, and it's destroying our ability to make outrageous profits. But with you on our team, we are unstoppable.

And if you don't like my offer, I'd be happy to show you the alternative...

Status
Not open for further replies.