Intel to Rebrand Select Atom CPUs as Celerons, Pentiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Bad move... I hate the Celeron name because they are so shit after the Slot 1 300Mhz. And for Pentium, I hate the Pentium name after Pentium 4. Nowadays Celeron and Pentium names in desktop world mean shit of the shit.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
This actually makes sense. Celeron and Pentium have become the low-end, budget chips for laptops and desktops. They're good for people who need a web browser and e-mail but don't want to move to a tablet. Atom was Intel's netbook lineup but is now being redesigned as their smartphone/tablet line. The newer Atom chips are just as fast as the Celerons and Pentiums of 2 years ago. It's smart for Intel to take their Atom chips that are fast enough for basic users' needs and make them available to laptop and desktop users. The rebranding is just in place to keep continuity with the previous generations' naming scheme.
Celeron -> Pentium -> Core i3 -> Core i5 -> Core i7

Why? There's nothing different about a Celeron, Pentium, or i3 except for what bits have been turned off. In fact a Penium G2120 has more in common with an i3-3220 than a Pentium G630.

This just moves some of them to the SoC side of the family, rather than the requires-a-southbridge parts. We already had BGA Celerons/Pentiums, so what does this change?

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
This is a bad move. The current Celeron and Pentium brands have a pretty good reputation, especially on the desktop (where you can actually build a low-end gaming PC around a Pentium chip).
The "Atom" brand contaminated netbooks (not the other way around); now Intel are going to let these chips contaminate the Celeron and Pentium brands too?
The only thing I could see is if Intel rebranded the current lines as "Core i1" and "Core i2".

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Celeron and Pentium lines had a lot of good revisions released. Unlike Atom which was a super disappointment and a terrible performer since its initial release. This is a smart marketing move for Intel, especially since the new Atoms are leaps and bounds more advanced than their sloth-like predecessors.

InvalidError

Titan

Well, with Atom Celerons/Pentiums there will be a definitive difference between Celeron/Pentium and i3/5/7 and that makes more sense to me than further crippling a core that isn't intended to be that heavily crippled.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Why don't they just combine the Pentium and Celeron and make a lowend Core i1 14xxx series based on haswell instead. Sorry that might make too much sense for intel to do lol.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
My Synology Disk Station uses an Atom and it's awesome for the NAS. Atom sucks in the windows environment no doubt about it. There is still a place for atom but not in the desktop world.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Most people don't want anything to do with Atom, Celeron, or Pentium branding name in that order as they are generally associated with poor CPU performance and or coupled with poor integrated graphics performance neither of which is a enticing selling point.
I'm still using my C2D/C2Q cpu's in my two desktop PC's since there hasn't been a compelling enough reason to upgrade yet.
Can I get better performance yes enough to make it really worth a full on new build nope not really.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
So what kind of socket will they use? Normally they are like BGA i.e. soldered down to the motherboard. Need further explanation???

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
So what kind of socket will they use? Normally they are like BGA i.e. soldered down to the motherboard. Need further explanation???

InvalidError

Titan

But once even the snail is fast enough to handle overnight shipping, most people stop caring how 'slow' the snail is vs other delivery methods.

While the new Atom may be slow compared to modern desktops, it is still ~5X faster at many things people enjoy doing on their ARM/Android-based smartphones, tablets, nettops, smart-TVs, etc. You don't see half as many people complaining about how outrageously slow ARM-based CPUs generally are.

Most of the market is starting to settle in the 'good enough' zone so CPU/GPU/APU manufacturers need to design products specifically for markets where "good enough" is all that is required.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I have a sandy bridge-based celeron notebook that runs ubuntu/fedora pretty well. But i wouldn't touch anything based on the 1st 2 generations of atom together with windows starter 7.

This is a good move, I think... The original Atoms were so crap, even the later Dual cores were a massive improvement. So most likely Silvermont will perform better than any Atom before. Atom = frustration!

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

Exactly why the branding for Celeron and Pentium is bad, the perception is a bad CPU at least Atom is new and is for mobile application more than desktop.

cpuknight

Honorable
May 11, 2013
You're kidding! Celeron Sandy Bridge is pretty darn solid in games. Runs games like League of Legends like a champ at highest settings

Status
Not open for further replies.