Intel to Ship Experimental Chips With 48 Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I know it's not for desktops, but it's fun to imagine putting this in your rig, opening up the task manager, and then trying to max all the cores. I'm not sure I even have enough programs to be able to utilize half of it. I envy those researchers who get to play with it.

G

@MrHectorEric

Folding@Home SMP Client, I'm not sure, but maybe it could acess all 48 cores.

Otherwise,
Same idea, using an SMP client, and then just assigning an 8 core utilizing one to five different sets of cores.

If you have the F@H clients set up right, they are pretty much
*Devours free processing power*

.. hope I didn't come off as one of those 'one up' posters, just getting my thoughts out there..

and..

Can it run Crysis... 2?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Ah I remember hearing about this thing, the 48 core cpu advertised in the past to be the size of a thumb nail :)
I was hoping it would be at least 3 ghz, but that would just be ludicrous.

[citation][nom]MrHectorEric[/nom]I know it's not for desktops, but it's fun to imagine putting this in your rig, opening up the task manager, and then trying to max all the cores. I'm not sure I even have enough programs to be able to utilize half of it. I envy those researchers who get to play with it.[/citation]
Just run Prime 95,etc.

G

I would love it, Use lightwave, and those are 48 render nodes.. Just the problem would You would need a ton of ram..

Status
Not open for further replies.