Intel To Unveil 8th Generation Core Processor 'Coffee Lake' Family August 21

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

freak777power is a troll either deliberately or... undeliberately (I think that's the word for it). Please stop analyzing what he says. You're both better people than freak deserves to have argue over his crap.

I'll second the comment on freak777power. He/she has consistently commented on almost every CPU article for the last few months, and I can count the number of productive comments on one hand (less a few fingers). He's made at least 25 comments on the Ryzen release/Intel response.

He/she may honestly believe what he/she's saying, or may not. If it's the former, be glad it's not your money he/she's spending, as he/she is clearly not investing the time to actually look into these products. It's not our responsibility to address people's willful ignorance; that's up to them and them alone. If it's the latter, it's not worth the time it takes to counter his statements.

That said, it'd be nice if the mods could address this. However, it's unlikely that they will, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion and has the right to ignore any evidence contradicting their beliefs.

It's also worth mentioning that the comments I've seen tend to be either half-truths or pure speculation. This makes it less likely that the mods will step in, no matter how misleading/misled/inflammatory the comments are.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

I had a troubled experiment with putting a spare i7-4770k into a 35W form factor tiny PC. Basically given a starved TDP, going from 4C4T to 4C8T didn't accomplish much.

C++:
CPU-Z Benchmark
Computer	CPU		        Single	Multi	      Basic Specs
		   	score     score     TDP	Core/Threads	GHz Base	GHz Boost*
Optiplex 3020	i3-4350T	1340	3147	35	2/4          3.1		3.1		
Optiplex 3020	i7-4770K	1726	5460	35	4/8	       3.5		2.8
Optiplex 3020	i5-4770K	1641	5117	84	4/4	       3.9		3.8

So if much else is the same with the CPU's adding Cores forces reduced frequency.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

Went from an HP OMEN i7-4710HQ to a Dell XPS 15 i7-7700HQ. From two days of playing with it, the CPU "upgrade" is the most underwhelming part of the new laptop.

G

Coffe Lake i3 4 core with no HT with base Clock of 4.0Ghz and turbo of 4.5Ghz unlocked will beat entire Ryzen line in gaming. It will tear down 1800x like there is no tomorrow in every game there is. 95% of people care about just that and for the price of $170 will make AMD to look like a joke. Afterall 4 cores is enough for 95% of people with other work than Gaming.

AMD wanted to play jokes with Intel, wait until Intel pulls one on AMD...it will be quite laughable.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I was hoping that Intel would take the opportunity to simplify their product naming and features and make the lineup with i3/i5/i7 series having 2/4/6 cores, respectively. Then make hyper-threading, cache-size, clock-speed, TDP, unlocked-multiplier, etc. be the differentiators within each series. From all the comments, it doesn't look like that's the case.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

So this is what you do on these boards all day? Vote down every post that says something negative about AMD or positive about an AMD competitor, vote up every pro AMD post or anti AMD competitor post, and then just make up absurd conspiracy theories and state them as fact though no evidence exists to substantiate them? It's a wonder THG allows posters like you to lower the quality of discussions on their site and turn them into fanboy pissing matches instead of intelligent debates about current invents in the tech industry.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It'll never happen. Intel's marketing has settled on the use of Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7 as an indicator of how high-end a chip is, within its market. They play with the variables you mentioned, in order to cover the range with different SKUs. They don't want to be constrained by the names actually having to mean something.

It's sort of understandable, but still unfortunate. SemiAccurate.com has a running-joke of referring to these model numbers as iSomethingMeaningless.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
BTW, nobody is talking about what's probably the most interesting (technically) aspect of Coffee Lake, probably best explained here:

https://www.google.com/patents/WO2016191031A1?cl=en

Will it improve your frame rates? Probably not. My guess is that it's aimed at facilitating always-on speech recognition, by improving its power-efficiency. Of course, it could also be useful for batch-processing large volumes of data streams in the cloud.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

In my head you sound like Stephen Fry. :D

mapesdhs

Distinguished

That's why I loathe Intel's CPU naming scheme for laptops, so many CPUs one would think are going to be quad core because of the CPU name are just dual-core.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

It would be cool if you could have a 6 core laptop in your back pocket. You could do your video editing ANYWHERE! My concern is that a 6 core laptop would produce a lot of heat and suck up a lot of power. I bet Intel will make a 6 core mobile CPU, but it would produce a fat laptop with less battery life.

Can wish all you want but they would first have to get a x86 license from Intel to have any chance of making a desktop chip that people would buy. The only way that ever happen is if they buy AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.