Intel turbo boost without Speedstep technology?

bigmanute

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
I Looked in my intel Extreme tuning utility and my turbo boost was disabled, so the only way I was able to enable turbo boost was to first enable Intel speed step technology, is there a way to just enable Turbo boost or is speed step required. My low cpu scores have gone up since switching on turbo boost.

Solution

^ this

Speedstep is a mechanism that allows the CPU to alter both its clock multiplier and VID without being reset. Historically it was used to allow the CPU to reduce power consumption during low-use situations, especially on mobile devices.

Turbo Boost is an extension to Speedstep that allows the CPU to increase its clock multiplier on a per-core basis and VID temporarily to dynamically adjust performance levels while staying within the CPU's TDP. Ergo, Turbo Boost requires that Speedstep be enabled.

^ this

Speedstep is a mechanism that allows the CPU to alter both its clock multiplier and VID without being reset. Historically it was used to allow the CPU to reduce power consumption during low-use situations, especially on mobile devices.

Turbo Boost is an extension to Speedstep that allows the CPU to increase its clock multiplier on a per-core basis and VID temporarily to dynamically adjust performance levels while staying within the CPU's TDP. Ergo, Turbo Boost requires that Speedstep be enabled.

Solution