husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Wait, let me show me show you my surprised face:
surprised_baby_2.jpg

flip_x

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
lets see it load webpages with internet explorer... apple used there browser.. they should use windows xp browser..

pbalstar

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
lol... I like how they including the sucker punch "the Windows XP tablet was able to load faster than the iPad – even with Flash enabled."

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]flip_x[/nom]lets see it load webpages with internet explorer... apple used there browser.. they should use windows xp browser..[/citation]

why with microsofts browser? i dont think intel has much to do with internets browser :) explorer isnt intels if you didnt know :D

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
1) was the Internet cache on XP cleared, or had that machine already loaded the site? This could disadvantage a mobile platform that does not cache websites like mobile Safari, and invalidates the test.
2) Were both machines using the same wireless conenction technology, or was one on WiFi vs 3G or different provider's 3G systems?
3) Why not run Safari on XP vs Safari on iPad, as a more accurate comparison? Or, since both run opera mini, that could have been tested, or load Linux on the alternate platform to put OS differences more on Par (or hackintosh the tablet).
4) video playback FPS limits were not tested? Brute force CPU means nothing without graphics to support it. Synthetics are one thing, full system processor/GPU comparrison is another.
5) 3D Graphic capability was not tested either?
6) power draw was not tested (watts per hour during equal loads)? Great, if it's 10% faster, but 50% more juice and 40% more heat means nothing to me...
7) did both platforms use flash based disk systems, or was the Archos running off SSD, higher performance RAM, or some other hardware that might favor load time of a web site. This was to compare processor to processor, not tablet to tablet, right? All things were NOT as equal as could be so this test has very little real world relevancy...

*I'm not pointing out which platform I think is better or worse, simply that I can not take this data into account either way, and to point out the test methodology flaws.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the displays are different sizes and thus more than likely different resolutions and the higher the resolution, the slower the display of information as a whole compared to a lower resolution setup. So I would rather see a clock for clock, exact resolution comparison. I am not an apple fanboy, I'll never buy a mac desktop or laptop, netbook maybe, tablet, unlikely. Just my observation.

etrom

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
How about coincidence Intel releases the Moorestown details in the week that Nvidia's chief scientist Bill Dally was talking that Moore's law is dead...

I have a feeling Intel is going to Conroe the SoC/Embedded market....

Intel's already Conroed the SSD and CPU market.

Note: For those who don't get the phrase "Conroed" it means Intel is going to do to the market what "Conroe" platform (E6600,E6300,etc) release did to the CPU market.

AMW1011

Distinguished
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]1) was the Internet cache on XP cleared, or had that machine already loaded the site? This could disadvantage a mobile platform that does not cache websites like mobile Safari, and invalidates the test. 2) Were both machines using the same wireless conenction technology, or was one on WiFi vs 3G or different provider's 3G systems? 3) Why not run Safari on XP vs Safari on iPad, as a more accurate comparison? Or, since both run opera mini, that could have been tested, or load Linux on the alternate platform to put OS differences more on Par (or hackintosh the tablet). 4) video playback FPS limits were not tested? Brute force CPU means nothing without graphics to support it. Synthetics are one thing, full system processor/GPU comparrison is another. 5) 3D Graphic capability was not tested either? 6) power draw was not tested (watts per hour during equal loads)? Great, if it's 10% faster, but 50% more juice and 40% more heat means nothing to me... 7) did both platforms use flash based disk systems, or was the Archos running off SSD, higher performance RAM, or some other hardware that might favor load time of a web site. This was to compare processor to processor, not tablet to tablet, right? All things were NOT as equal as could be so this test has very little real world relevancy... *I'm not pointing out which platform I think is better or worse, simply that I can not take this data into account either way, and to point out the test methodology flaws.[/citation]

1. Yes, but the cache collected after visiting sites, which is why they didn't test them when loading previous pages.
2. Yes, the test would be completely invalid if they did something else.
3. They went with the Opera webkit browser, which is similar to the Safari webkit browser on the iPad.
4. This was a comparison between CPUs, not IGPs. For the record the GMA 500 is far superior to what the iPad has and can easily manage 720p videos and 1080p videos with the correct codecs. The only thing holding the GMA 500 back is its terrible drivers.
5. Still irrelevant for a CPU to CPU comparison.
6. The X70EX has a battery life of 6 hours video, and considering the far, far more rigorous OS, I would say they are at least pretty close.
7. The test was as close as possible. The point is that the X70EX with the 1.33 Ghz Atom was able to pull off better performance than the iPad even though it has a resource hog of an OS, comparatively, flash was enabled, and the browser was not optimized for the hardware.

The fact that the X70EX beat the iPad, instead of just coming close, with all those huge disadvantages just shows the raw power difference.[/citation]

[citation][nom]climber[/nom]Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the displays are different sizes and thus more than likely different resolutions and the higher the resolution, the slower the display of information as a whole compared to a lower resolution setup. So I would rather see a clock for clock, exact resolution comparison. I am not an apple fanboy, I'll never buy a mac desktop or laptop, netbook maybe, tablet, unlikely. Just my observation.[/citation]
The res. on the iPad is 1024x768 and the X70EX has a resolution of 1024x600. So they are very close, easily close enough that it won't make a difference, assuming that it would to begin with, something I doubt

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Lets see it on Windows 7. Oh right, Atoms can't handle that[/citation]

I have a dell mini 10 with an Atom processor, I run Windows 7 32 bit home premium.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
"The simulation leads us to believe that the Moorestown running at a 1.5GHz speed would be even faster."

So you are telling me by increasing the clock on a CPU, it runs faster? Interesting, very interesting.

G

Its all about the screensize for me

William, theamazingipad.com

G

Hey, Steve, these little guys – Intel, Google, HP/Palm, Microsoft - want to play with you now.
Well, it seems that your little protected, proprietary and megalomaniac world will start to have big cracks.
We'll see if you can play with the same arrogance you have been showing. Hope you are put in the niche you belong.

Who cares about simulated tests anyway.! And a tablet is definitely not gonna be a seller for loading web pages fast.. The complete package is the real issue and That's where apple would score ahead always.. I mean their UI for the iphone itself is the best compared to any platform released till now be it android, blackberry or any other platform.. Its as good as assuming that apple is unbeatable in those regards along with their product designs..

iwod

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Just a few point.
1.No one ever expected ARM A8 to be as fast as Atom.
2.Chrome is faster then Saferi in most cases, even though they are both based on Webkit.
3.There is no such thing as Opera Webkit.
4.Drawing more information on screen actually slows downs the whole operation. These is especially the case with no power machine, i.e iPad.
5.Most Browser Engine, were never optimized as much on ARM then x86. That is why any benchmark test shows ARM being substantially slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.