Intel Xeon E3-1275 Review: Sandy Bridge Goes Professional

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]You're very welcome Huron, and thanks for the feedback. Which Xeons would you like to see compared? And in which workloads? I'm happy to field ideas on this if it's something you can use!Best,Chris[/citation]

Thanks for the response. Honestly, if you were to compare it to similar level Xeons - probably not the x56xx series (though that could be interesting).

I'd like to see database, virtualization, and even some programming benchmarks - SAS workloads (if you could swing it), etc.

Thanks again.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]I will say one thing and that is Intel made such a big mess with 3+ types of socket[/citation]

You forget most of Intel's desktop business is probably still LGA775. At least, of all those sockets you list, there are no compatibility exceptions.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
For that reason, if your money-making app depends on 3D performance, don’t even chance it—buy the discrete GPU.

Chris, I know you know that any 100$ GPU will be leagues better than quadro 580, let alone the integrated thing. I couldn't, not to point that out. I have yet to meet a singe "pro" app that finds that low end quadros faster. I work only with Max, Maya, After Effects, Premiere, Composite, Combustion... Quadro is only good for one thing- wasting money, and maybe solidworks.. I can't really tell. Point is, if you're using software actually written after year 2000, chances are you dont need or want a quadro. (unless you're using iray/vray rt that require massive amounts of ram in which case high end quadro/tesla are your only options since no gaming card has that much ram)

On to the CPUs. You open with how the difference in CPUs isnt "just branding", but other than ECC memory I'd like to avoid, and overclocking, that you're not going to do on a server/workstation- what are the benefits of spending extra money? You insist there are benefits, but I failed to find any. Lets assume i dont have the need for the additional connectivity it offers- unless it supports 3x pcie 16x cards to play and I missed that too. Single CPU workstations obviously.

G

Can you use an Xeon E3-1240 with a P67 chipset? Has anyone tried this with success?

processor-pro

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Im kinda sick of intel weeding the life out of the those quad cores. I can see for desktops, it would be fine but for servers, and workstations 6 cores can actually be used in alot of situations. I mean AMD has 12 core processors, Intel has the speed but they need to be ready for the future.(which is atleast 6 cores)

G

Could we get more compiler tests? I mean Visual Studio is fine, but what about GCC and the rest? I guess, I'd just like to see some more tests for the software development crowd. It is still a great article!

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]I will say one thing and that is Intel made such a big mess with 3+ types of socketLGA1155LGA1156LGA1366LGA2011LGA1356[/citation]

how do they have 3+? 1156 is dead and so is 1366, 2011 isn't even out yet. why does it matter if they have 5+? if you ask me AMD is a mess, where is BD? Bulldozer this Bulldozer that, where is Bulldozer?

G

What was the idle/max power draw of the C206 platform? It looks like it is around 60W idle and 130W max but the idle in particular is difficult to read form the graph (which was intended to show power draw over time).

Thanks!

dangolo

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I have implimented the E3-1230 on the Asus P8B-X, running ESXi 4.1 update1, and let me tell you first hand, for a CPU

dangolo

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I have implimented the E3-1230 on the Asus P8B-X, running ESXi 4.1 update1, and let me tell you first hand, for a CPU sub $250, this thing beats the holy hell out of our other pre-sandybridge xeon servers. The mobo is only $190, is blade-ready, is ESXi compatible and has dual GB lan. RAM for it is ~$75/4gig stick. I'm posting because it is a sub $750 powerhouse server. Blade-ready. Cloud-ready. Powerhouse. When this core was launched, I pounced.
Dual socket versions of this will not be available until Q1-2012, FYI.
TH, as happy as I was to see this core and this mobo reviewed, you should really shop for better server-related benchmarks. Really liked the article though, and I wouldn't mind some more =)

G

Intel is working just slightly ahead of software companies ability to get mutithreaded apps out the door. I am glad they are not trying to give us 16-cores at 1.4GHz. Thermals need to be compensated and more apps need to be better developed. Give me 3.4GHZ on 6-cores over 2.66GHz on 8-cores or more any day. I use a ton of SW and most of the time my single core is the only thing being used on my Xeon W3680.

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]You're very welcome Huron, and thanks for the feedback. Which Xeons would you like to see compared? And in which workloads? I'm happy to field ideas on this if it's something you can use!Best,Chris[/citation]

Actually I have a question that keeps me from choosing any e3 xeon or perhaps wait for xeon e5.
What is this intel graphic integrated for?
I work with autodesk max, mudbox, softimage, Unreal Engine and Cry engine, Photoshop cs4 and 5, Premiere pro, after effect/Mocha, and Painter 11.
Does this intel graphic integrated work in combination with professional GPU Nvidia Quadro lineup and Firepro V lineup for better performance in all mentioned products?. Or do I have to choose to work exclusively with the intel integrated graphic or Quadro line up/Firepro V line up. If the solution is the latter then intel IGP does not suit me at all... I assume.
Perhaps mainstream xeon e5 would suite me better as they do not have any IGP at all, more cache, and more memory controller which might be beneficiary as I sometime lend my PC to render scenes with mental ray....

Any help and recommendation please,

Thanks

paul l

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Chris,
Im right about to make up my decision - buying e3 1275 or 1280. The big question is: is the 1280 one worth its price (double-price of 1275)? Are the differences between those really as big as the price is?
Thank you in advice,
Pawul

G

E3-1270 and E3-1275 are the same, save the P3000 graphics, so you are paying more than double for the E3-1280. If you don't need bleeding edge and depending on what CPU you are coming from, I think the E3-1270 will be sufficient.

G

I believe the C202 only has 4 PCIe lanes. Can someone confirm whether I can run an 8x RAID card and another 8x at the same time at full speed?

G

The C202 has only 4 PCIe lanes. Can someone confirm whether I can run an 8x RAID card and another 8x card at full speed on the S1200BTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.