Intel Xeon E3-1275 Review: Sandy Bridge Goes Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Finally a compilation benchmark! Now please make it standard in your test suite for CPUs and storage so there's a real benefit from it all for actual comparisons.

DavC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Thanks for this review Chris, very well covered. I'll probably be refering back to this when it comes to spec our next workstations.

G

I think this is a useless review. Why are we comparing Apples to Oranges? Lets compare current generation Xeons to Previous generation Xeons.

dgingeri

Distinguished
one thing I can attest to: companies who cheap out on their workstations and servers never perform well as companies, and eventually fail.

I've worked with many small businesses, and every one that used a desktop chip for a server or a discount chip (Celeron, Duron, etc) for their desktop computers all performed very poorly. Some seemed to hang on by the sheer will of the owner, and in a couple cases, when the owner got sick for more than a week, the businesses folded like lawn chairs.

I've also seen an Engineering shop of ~30 engineers invest nicely into a real server and real workstations, and had me set up their entire network with SBS. their business ramped up so fast and well that they had to hire several more engineers and outgrew SBS (limited to 50 users at the time) within the next 2 years, and I had to go back and rebuild their domain with full enterprise level software, and add another server specifically for email. the owner said the investment in that SBS system was the best thing he'd invested in the business since he hired his first engineer.

Business owners who do not invest in their IT infrastructure fail at business. It's pretty plain and simple. While investing in good IT gear and software doesn't mean you'll ramp up your business to unheard of heights, it does give you a major leg up on the competition.

G

given the option of a cheaper Xenon that does not have the P3000 im pretty sure 90% of companies would choose that option, discreet graphics would almost exclusively be employed for the majority of workstation class desktops

G

Very informative and useful article Mr. Angelini, thank you.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]No quick sync on a Zeon??[/citation]

Thats a very bold statement, not all companies require top of the range computer equipment

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
So what happens when AMD brings an Opteron with a more-than-competent GPU onboard? At least in GPU-influenced situations they should see a nice advantage I would think.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]DiscreetSolution[/nom]given the option of a cheaper Xenon that does not have the P3000 im pretty sure 90% of companies would choose that option, discreet graphics would almost exclusively be employed for the majority of workstation class desktops[/citation]
I think you're wrong. I spend most of my day at work making and compiling code. For me the HD graphics work really well and getting anything more powerful than that, as evidenced from the tests, would be a waste of money. I also don't think I'm in the 10% group.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Nice job Chris. You made some excellent points. I too have seen far too many try to run servers on desktop hardware - not as big of a problem for home, but that is not quite as mission-critical, right?

Are you going to do a follow-up to compare to current Xeons?

G

@zerapio

how many folks compile codes the size of which require a Xeon? im pretty sure your in the 10% group, IMHO for the majority of cases if your not pairing the Xeon with a discreet GFX card then chances are Xeon would be overkill

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]No quick sync on a Zeon??[/citation]

Geek,
Intel says the Xeons support Quick Sync (at least that's the case on the ark.intel.com site). However, I suspect that current apps do not recognize the Xeons, and consequently cannot yet take advantage of the hardware. Perhaps it'll be enabled in upcoming app revisions. Until then, I still recommend the desktop CPUs if Quick Sync is important to you.
Chris

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]fball922[/nom]So what happens when AMD brings an Opteron with a more-than-competent GPU onboard? At least in GPU-influenced situations they should see a nice advantage I would think.[/citation]

Then the market will get more interesting, to be sure! We still need to see them do this on the desktop, though. I'd be surprised if they didn't end up releasing a FirePro-branded integrated solution at some point!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]Nice job Chris. You made some excellent points. I too have seen far too many try to run servers on desktop hardware - not as big of a problem for home, but that is not quite as mission-critical, right?Are you going to do a follow-up to compare to current Xeons?[/citation]

You're very welcome Huron, and thanks for the feedback.

Which Xeons would you like to see compared? And in which workloads? I'm happy to field ideas on this if it's something you can use!
Best,
Chris

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Good review, it is definitely helpful when building a workstation for professional applications.
Hope to see more of such reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS