Intel Xeon E5-2600: Doing Damage With Two Eight-Core CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]mickey21[/nom]I hear what you are saying, but that doesnt mean there arent people out there that dont want one unit to do both. Personally I am same way so I can understand that someone be curious about it. Not like it would be hard to. Some people like myself work with huge amounts of data AND like to play games at home. I find myself having both hobbies of video/graphical manipulation AND gaming. I also find at times I have some money to burn, what is the problem with that?[/citation]
Nothing wrong with it, I just don't see the market being anywhere near big enough for retailers to cater to it. People with needs like yours are typically more than capable enough to just build the system themselves, cutting even deeper into the already small niche market.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
-- How about info on its overclocking performance???

This review would be much informative if the reviewer included infos on how far can
these new E5 Xeons can go when heavily overclocked and this would give good insight
to people specially those who are into (including me) multi-threaded digital content
creation, editing, 3d animation and rendering where very fast processing power are
needed in order to get the job done in the soonest possible time where on-time project
deliverables is at most priority.

As far as rendering is concerned, rendering a basic single 1920x1080 image of a living
room interior with 1 ambient room light and 1 directional external light and with few
assorted furniture, flooring, wall and figurine textures using Arion Render or Vray
on a dual Xeon 5600 (westmere) processor server would take 20-40 mins alone and
the rendering would take much much longer (for hours) if the image is on a much higher
resolution (specially designed for large printing purposes) and uses more complex
lighting setup and textures for realistic rendering.

I hope these new E5 Xeon processor would provide much much needed processing
speed to aid Digital content creator and editor to make their job much faster and
more efficient.

[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]I'm going to drop these into X79 and compare the numbers to see how power is affected. Maybe get a little overclocking out of them, just to check ;-)[/citation]
That would be an interesting comparison and to see how much strap they can take. A strap of 125MHz should be possible with 3.88GHz~4.75GHz, but on how many cores is the question, I don't know about much more. All I've seen is a 120MHz on an ASRock X79. So beyond that IDK. The 'problem' is what X79 has the CPUID (support) for the Xeon E5's?? Just looked and neither the ASUS P9X79 WS or ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional list any E5's.

All I've seen is this CPU-z http://www.abload.de/img/x79extreme9withxeonljox0.jpg and without proper CPU support the results are net really indicative of anything and 9/10 will be sub-par.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Gigabyte told me my -UD5 would work, but no such luck. Drop in the -2687W and it fires up/shuts down in a loop. Guess they were secretly hoping it'd work and counting on my processor not getting damaged? :p

suryasans

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I would guess that's because Interlagos is garbage compared to the new Xeons and they know it. I don't think they're terribly eager for the front page of Tom's Hardware to show the low end Xeon's beating the best Interlagos has to offer.[/citation]
Of course, AMD admits that Its own products are rubbish> Even, its engineers have been leaving from AMD because of shrinking AMD's cash due to AMD buyout of Seamicro.

G

wait, wtf, sounds like what AMD did when they put to use there hyper transport bus years ago, AMD's hyper transport bus can support up to 8 muticore cpu's each with its own memory bank and controller, and each cpu can directly communicate to any other cpu. ooohhh wait, I forgot, this is made by intel, so it is new and exciting, it dont matter that it was already done before, its intel, that's all that matters.

http://www.behardware.com/news/8193/amd-direct-connect-2.html

G

jmb, look up NUMA. I also don't believe AMD invented Hypertransport. It was a consortium of companies including IBM I believe. Please don't act like AMD invented a bunch of things. They have always been a user of technology and rarely an inventor. Even the memory controller on the CPU was done before AMD and was going to be adopted by Intel in the next P6 lineup before it was squashed for the PII. AMD did a good job on 64-bit extensions I suppose. Intel decided to go a different direction with i64 and gave way for AMD to develop 64-bit for x86. They are rarely the innovators in general though unless you like Lightning Bolt (golf clap) and 3DNow! .

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Makes me want to get an SR-X...

Wait, no!!! Makes me want to rob a bank, get two SR-X boards and put them in a Magnum TX10 with dual phase change on the processors and water-cooled quad-SLI.

It's the end of the world this year anyhow - might as well go big before I die :sol:

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
You guys should consider using X-Plane 10 as a benchmark.

X-Plane will take advantage of as many cores or distinct processors as you can afford. Having 16 cores split among 4 CPUs is not required by any means, but Version 10 would be able to use every one. No more than 4 GB of RAM is necessary, but the more VRAM you have, the better–X-Plane 10 can easily use 1.5 GB of VRAM at the maximum settings.

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Forgot to say: I think a lot of your readers could relate to X-Plane as a benchmark. It is sort of a game but more like a simulation that would be best run on a workstation.

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
[citation][nom]IA64Guy[/nom]jmb, look up NUMA. I also don't believe AMD invented Hypertransport. It was a consortium of companies including IBM I believe. Please don't act like AMD invented a bunch of things. They have always been a user of technology and rarely an inventor. Even the memory controller on the CPU was done before AMD and was going to be adopted by Intel in the next P6 lineup before it was squashed for the PII. AMD did a good job on 64-bit extensions I suppose. Intel decided to go a different direction with i64 and gave way for AMD to develop 64-bit for x86. They are rarely the innovators in general though unless you like Lightning Bolt (golf clap) and 3DNow! .[/citation]

3DNow was bad a55 in it's day. That is all.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I'd be really surprised to see these in gaming machines, even in the high end boutiques. That's a $2k processor they reviewed, and basically all it offers over the $1k SB-E chip (for gamers) is an extra pair of cores, which games can't make use of.[/citation]

Well, you could run multiple games and tons of other stuff if you could get multiple OSes running at the same time on the CPU...

Always nice to see how the server/workstation stuff holds up, even if it's completely irrelevant for me unless I'm recommending solutions to people on the forums and they need a workstation/server build. Now I want to see some eight socket benches.

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I would guess that's because Interlagos is garbage compared to the new Xeons and they know it. I don't think they're terribly eager for the front page of Tom's Hardware to show the low end Xeon's beating the best Interlagos has to offer.[/citation]
for Data mining CPu cores matter, if interlarlgos has 40 core they would kill the Xeon

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Rock, what kind of server CPUs are you running now, and how much did you overclock them?[/citation]

At work, im running a single custom built dual Xeon 5670 2.93ghz (stock) server
overclocked @ 4.0 ghz in a hi end desktop well ventilated case. I must say those
Westemere 5600 series Xeons generates a lot of heat when overclocked but they
are well cooled by two Antec h20 920 liquid cpu cooler.

Why did you ask? Are you running a similar server spec and planning to overclock it?
I suggest before you do any heavy overclocking with your 5600 series westmere Xeons
you must cool them with hi end water cooling system or else you gonna end up in
a not very helpful clock speed because the heat will hamper your overclocking and make
sure you have a very well ventilated.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]graphicsgriffin[/nom]What about using Interlagos 16 cores dual CPU at 2.2GHz? Would that be better in 3d rendering and CS5?[/citation]
Certainly possible, though no matter what, the best approach to CS5 is going to be GPU-acceleration, rather than allowing CPUs to shoulder the entire workload.

Status
Not open for further replies.