Intel Xeon E7 V2 Family Will Pack 15 Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

Xeon Phi is pretty crazy too with up to 60 cores per chip and four threads each, that's 240 threads per chip/card.

I bet next year's top-500 is going to have a few E7v2 clusters packed with quad Phi... 1200 total threads per server!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Xeon PHI has it's benefits, but due to its low frequency (1ghz) it only shines in massively parallel x86 legacy applications. I see the E7v2 series chips being a much better all around solution as long as their frequency can stay in the 2ghz + area.

InvalidError

Titan

I think you got that backward.

The Phi shines in massively parallel supercomputing applications and typical "legacy" x86 code is nowhere near well-threaded enough to make remotely effective use of such massive parallelism. It delivers nearly twice the throughput per chip than a 3GHz E7v2 would, likely for a fraction of the cost at the expense of programming effort.

The E7v2 would shine in moderately threaded (more "legacy-like") x86 applications that cannot efficiently leverage Phi's massive parallelism and benefit more from E7's higher clock rate and IPC.

For HPC applications, both are needed since supercomputing applications often have a mix of both brute-force calculations that are a perfect fit for Phi and more linear computations that would benefit more from the E7v2, hence my bet that we will see systems combining both in the top-500 list next year.

g-unit1111

Titan

This isn't a consumer CPU. It's made for scalable workstation applications, which is why most consumers will never be able to afford to buy one. I'd be surprised if most small businesses could be able to afford to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.