Intel Xeon or i5

Solution
The e3-1231v3 is a great cpu for everything including gaming. Deciding between it and the 4690k really depend on what you are going to be doing, and what your budget is. If gaming is your everything and you don't think you would benefit from hyperthreading, there's really no reason to opt for the Xeon. If you are an extreme user and you use your system for other things, the Xeon may be your best bet.

Keep in mind, that while the Xeon is a little more up front, you can throw it in a $70 H97 motherboard and get max performance from it. It'll actually come out cheaper than most 4690k overclocking setups. The i5 needs a more expensive motherboard and an aftermarket cooler.

So... if you are into overclocking, get the 4690k, if gaming is...

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The e3-1231v3 is a great cpu for everything including gaming. Deciding between it and the 4690k really depend on what you are going to be doing, and what your budget is. If gaming is your everything and you don't think you would benefit from hyperthreading, there's really no reason to opt for the Xeon. If you are an extreme user and you use your system for other things, the Xeon may be your best bet.

Keep in mind, that while the Xeon is a little more up front, you can throw it in a $70 H97 motherboard and get max performance from it. It'll actually come out cheaper than most 4690k overclocking setups. The i5 needs a more expensive motherboard and an aftermarket cooler.

So... if you are into overclocking, get the 4690k, if gaming is not everything, and/or you don't want to overclock, get the e3-1231v3.

Solution