News Intel XeSS Demo Flaunts Superb Results Compared to Nvidia DLSS

In here you can clearly tell DLSS is better. I have no idea how XeSS is being touted as "equal to DLSS" here. The texture grid shimmer and the problem with the transparent textures is really noticeable and worse than ghosting.

Also, this will run using shader grunt in other GPUs, so I'm pretty sure it won't perform as good as DLSS or FSR in their respective cards. I wonder how the Intel GPUs run FSR though and vice versa. Specially, I'd think FSR would solve some of the problems from XeSS while losing in performance a bit. Well, this is assuming the Intel GPU doesn't crash xD

Regards.

Reactions: evdjj3j and d0x360

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
In here you can clearly tell DLSS is better. I have no idea how XeSS is being touted as "equal to DLSS" here. The texture grid shimmer and the problem with the transparent textures is really noticeable and worse than ghosting.

Also, this will run using shader grunt in other GPUs, so I'm pretty sure it won't perform as good as DLSS or FSR in their respective cards. I wonder how the Intel GPUs run FSR though and vice versa. Specially, I'd think FSR would solve some of the problems from XeSS while losing in performance a bit. Well, this is assuming the Intel GPU doesn't crash xD

Regards.
Do you think DLSS will hold the lead for long?
They may, but Intel is catching up pretty fast. XeSS being the best upscaler by this time next year doesn't look impossible anymore. If nothing else there is competition.

Reactions: rtoaht

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I feel like you watched a different video and heard different words than I did. First I watched the lossless 4k version of the video from Patreon and I definitely noticed a difference.

Second Alex literally talked about differences.

Of course it's going to end up better than DLSS 1.x & FSR 1.x. All they did was copy nVidia and what they did with DLSS 2.x but obviously wrote their own algorithm. Still DLSS has better image quality and more of a performance gain.

FSR 2 is obviously going to be the worst variant because RDNA2 doesn't have the dedicated hardware and we don't know if RDNA3 will yet but I do know RDNA4 will. Despite that FSR 2 is still good and they are all the best gaming upscaling and aa methods we have available.

There is one major issue... Intel is leaving the consumer gpu market. Arc is dead. They MIGHT release their 2nd chip next year... For mobile devices like laptops.

After that they are done. Giving up because they listened to Raj who only had 1 good idea which he apparently repeated and made GCN again but this time they forgot how to make it work on dx11 and below. So they are going to focus on data center and that's it. Done. So XeSS is pointless now. The only potential benefit would be if they open sourced it.

Reactions: evdjj3j
Do you think DLSS will hold the lead for long?
They may, but Intel is catching up pretty fast. XeSS being the best upscaler by this time next year doesn't look impossible anymore. If nothing else there is competition.
I don't know, but more importantly: I don't care.

I've always found working on upscaling techniques is such a Console-thing I don't know why they need to dedicate hardware resources to it. Where it makes the most sense (lower end hardware) nVidia does not offer it and AMD's version is too heavy to give tangible benefits. The other "normal" upscaling looks like garbage.

Regards.

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
The author must be living in a different reality, I watched the same video and Intel didn't flaunt superb results compared to DLSS. They were really close and Alex, the guy in the video, talks about how surprised he is they're so close in image quality. Why all the click bait Tom's? I've been reading since the turn of the century and the reporting on this site is barely Inquirer level quality anymore.

Reactions: peachpuff

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
All the people at Intel who were working on this should have been working on the ARC drivers first, once they are good then they could work on the high-end stuff.

Reactions: pclaughton

pclaughton

Honorable
May 28, 2018
All the people at Intel who were working on this should have been working on the ARC drivers first, once they are good then they could work on the high-end stuff.
Exactly. If you need an example of why this launch has been such a half-baked disaster, look no further than them overextending themselves on things like this.

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
The author must be living in a different reality, I watched the same video and Intel didn't flaunt superb results compared to DLSS. They were really close and Alex, the guy in the video, talks about how surprised he is they're so close in image quality. Why all the click bait Tom's? I've been reading since the turn of the century and the reporting on this site is barely Inquirer level quality anymore.
Most commenters here are acting like they expected the 1st iteration of XeSS to be significantly better than DLSS and disappointed that these are just on par. LOL.

After that they are done. Giving up because they listened to Raj who only had 1 good idea which he apparently repeated and made GCN again but this time they forgot how to make it work on dx11 and below. So they are going to focus on data center and that's it. Done. So XeSS is pointless now. The only potential benefit would be if they open sourced it.
You can hope and dream all you want but intel will not leave a billion dollar market just because they didn't make any money from it with the first gen.
The server GPUs provide all of the r&d money anyway, making gaming GPUs only costs them the dies and the additional driver development geared towards gaming and it's not like intel is strapped for cash riding a 5 year high of getting twice the net income compared to previous years.

Is it superb or on par, it can't be both? Your title says superb, the first paragraph says on par. Which is it?
If something is "on par" with something that is superb than this first thing is also superb since they both are "on par" .

Superb doesn't mean "better than" ,it means "very good" "excellent" .
on par = at the same level or standard as

Reactions: Order 66

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Of something is "on par" with something that is superb than this first thing is also superb since they both are "on par" .

Superb doesn't mean "better than" ,it means "very good" "excellent" .
on par = at the same level or standard as
The title is "Intel XeSS Demo Flaunts Superb Results Compared to Nvidia DLSS". Saying 'X is superb compared to Y' very much implies that X is superior to Y.

The title is "Intel XeSS Demo Flaunts Superb Results Compared to Nvidia DLSS". Saying 'X is superb compared to Y' very much implies that X is superior to Y.
Nope.
"Flaunts superb/excellent/very good/ results compared to nvidia" still only implies the same (or comparable) amount of good.
As I already said superb doesn't mean better it just means very good.

Maybe you are confusing superb with supreme.

Reactions: rtoaht
Nope.
"Flaunts superb/excellent/very good/ results compared to nvidia" still only implies the same (or comparable) amount of good.
As I already said superb doesn't mean better it just means very good.

Maybe you are confusing superb with supreme.
I'm not a native speaker and I'm suspecting you're not either.

But hey, what do I know.

I can only say my comments flaunt superb knowledge compared to yours.

Regards :)

TRENDING THREADS