Question Intel XTU reports Current Limit Throttling during a stress test. Is this actually an issue?

DarrynRogers

Commendable
Oct 2, 2020
Problem
While running the CPU stress test in Intel XTU I get the error “The CPU Current Throttled”. At the end of the test I got the result “The CPU Stress Test Passed”.

System
Intel Core i9 9920X
Corsair AX 1600i Power Supply
Asus WS X299 Sage 10G Motherboard
1 x EATX 12V 6 pin power is plugged in
2 x EATX 12V 8 pin power is plugged in
XMP set to “Profile #1”
CPU Core Ratio set to “By Core Usage”
No overclocking of the CPU

What I’ve tried
In the BIOS I have “External Digi+ Power Control/CPU Current Capability” set to “Auto”. I have also tried setting this to 100%, 140% and 200% but still got the current throttling error in XTU.

So my questions are
Is this error in XTU actually an issue? Are there any other BIOS settings I need to check. Is this current throttling actually slowing down my CPU?

Throttling of the CPU is an overheating situation caused by overvolting.
The CPU will protect itself and XTU has pushed thermals beyond thermal limits.
Monitor your thermals using HWinfo64. The CORE temperature sensor of concern is T-die.

What is your current Overclock and explain what changes you have made in Bios?
Also what is your cooling system?

DarrynRogers

Commendable
Oct 2, 2020
This is not thermal throttling. The thermals are good. I have a big beefy air cooler on it and its only going up to about 85c under full load.

This is current throttling. The CPU is not getting enough juice for some reason. I haven't overclocked the CPU or changed any of the voltage settings from the default.

This is not thermal throttling. The thermals are good. I have a big beefy air cooler on it and its only going up to about 85c under full load.

This is current throttling. The CPU is not getting enough juice for some reason. I haven't overclocked the CPU or changed any of the voltage settings from the default.

Sorry my bad :oops:

The three common reasons for current limit throttling: Processor Core IccMax is set too low in XTU.
VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS
. ... The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given CPU.
I found a vid to help explain:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6LgeE56cQ4

Last edited:

DarrynRogers

Commendable
Oct 2, 2020
Thanks man.

I tried adjusting the power limits as in the video and I still get intermittent current throttling. I'm beginning to think that this is just the normal behaviour of the CPU as my system is totally capable of delivering the required power. I'm not really seeing any performance degradation in any benchmarks or the frequency of my CPU in Turbo Boost. Same as what this guys is seeing in this video at about 3:45 mins:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDnGUcOHLlE&t=314s