Intel Z97 Express: Five Enthusiast Motherboards, $120 To $160

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4X3R

Distinguished
The Asrock one is better. Not everyone will be using XSplit, and as tradesman1 (a moderator on this site) said "I myself won't touch MSI mobos due to the poor QC".

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
READ PAGE ONE to find out why this chipset has the same features as the previous chipset.

H4X3R

Distinguished
Good review :) I am looking forward to the best price:features motherboard review though (extreme6). I have a quick question crashman: Do asrock still use Capxxon caps (or just crappy caps in general). I would like to know the company of the caps if possible, once again, thank you :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wish I knew. It appears that they get their caps custom-wrapped to get the gold color, and that the custom wrapping only has specifications (no branding).

tarkhein

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I'd like to see a review on the significance of the 'killer' NICs... I highly doubt they have any difference besides branding.

Not exactly the most comprehensive review, but here is Asus' take on NICs: http://rog.asus.com/312772014/labels/guides/tried-and-tested-why-intel-ethernet-is-still-better-for-gaming/

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I am upgrading my 965BE this week to a 4770k. Looking at the MSI Gaming 3 what does evryone think? i am keeping my SSD HDD and Saphire HD6950 for now. Any suggestions for a Z97 board under $180

H4X3R

Distinguished
[/quotemsg]I wish I knew. It appears that they get their caps custom-wrapped to get the gold color, and that the custom wrapping only has specifications (no branding).
[/quotemsg]

Well, then i guess i'll have to hunt that info down because i do not like investing in mobos with cheap components, no matter how many features it has.

I had to replace a cap on a cheap ASRock mobo that I knocked off myself with too-aggressive cable management. What appeared to be an exact replacement was a Nichycon, which is a good Japanese brand.
As to MSI, I wouldn't touch their cheap boards, but their Z77A-GD65 Gaming board really surprised me over how nice it is, and how cool the VRMs stay under load. If my primary were full ATX, I'd be using it there.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
After reading about the total mess that is adding SATA Xpress and M2 to a chipset starving for PCIe lanes, my upgraditis will wait for Haswell-E and X99. X97 feels like a notebook chipset.

I never recommend MSI. Too many issues with those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.