Intel's 32 Core, Quad-HyperThreading Super Chip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
It looks huge and each sub unit looks almost exactly like a dual core atom hence the 4 thread hyperthreading aspect. So can 4 dual core (8 cores, 16 threads) 1.2Ghz Atom processors optimized to parallel an old wolfenstien demo..., yes

G

it will become the best room heater ever made, need 1 core to heat 1 sqm ...

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I generally Like what intel has to offer, To me the past month it sound like intel is out of ideas, buying up secters of the market and to hell with graphic, eventhough they are the largest and richest processor company in the world, but they cant make a video card so here is a boatload of cpu's to make us look cool.
Anyone who has see this befor, I would wager in the next year AMD will take the thrown again. I think intel is lost for words right now.
Let the prices drop.. intelif this is your market, your will loose the game, Yes I ment that pun.
Stop all the crap. Make a video system or buy Nvidia and let move on becasue this is unreal. 5-10 years from now, than we can look at something like this.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
@jdamon

Ehh, Intel made a booboo. THey are big enough (and the market is uninformed enough) to absorb it this time around, but they did. The booboo is Nahelem (did I spell that right?) released in the consumer market/desktop segment with its socket change, triple channel memory (useless for home applications). Don't get me wrong, the processors are monsters, but the problem is, they are still monsters - and they will remain that even with SandyBridge out. By creating these monsters, they gave AMD free reign in the value segment (where the $ is at) and what allowed AMD to come back from the brink in the last few years.

Now, Intel realizes this, and hence, Sandy Bridge. Lower power, dual channel, integrated graphics, and cheaper. Sure, new sockets again, but that's to be expected from Intel by now. With these offerings, Intel's got AMD in the cross-hairs again - they are trying to recover from the BooBoo (and will succeed, probably). However, AMD beat them to the punch with their Fusion chips which have been recently benchmarked and are awesome. Intel still has the performance crown - AMD has nothing to match the 6-core i7s - and hence there has been no progress in this segment. Competition is moving to the value segment, and as I've said, by persuing Nahelem, Intel let AMD gain significant ground in this middle segment. Being an AMD fan, this makes me very happy (and it should make Intel fans happy too as competition is good for everyone). Hopefully, Intels new focus on the middle ground and AMD's excellent performance in this segment will allow AMD some time to breathe and allow them to catch up again in the performance sector with Bulldozer-derived Zambezi... hopefully...

So in conclusion, Intel goes for performance, gets it, AMD gives up on performance, nails the middle/low/server segments, Intel realizes that's where the $/growth is at, abandons performance (letting the platform stagnate), and chases AMD into the middle/low segments, but too little too late as AMD releases a new generation before Intel does, so now they are going to be 4-6 months behind.

I think the most amusing part about the Booboo however, is that despite Intel letting the platform stagnate, they are upping the high-end chips every once in a while with new extreme editions (at $1000/pop) - even though they are simply results of improved yields and quality of said yields. This allows them to make up for the booboo (again, at $1000/chip!!) by milking the crowd that actaully is silly enough to upgrade every time something faster comes out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They could have chose something else as a demo to demonstrate the performance of this new MIC instead of a game. To be honest we need hardware level treading that can fool the os and apps to think that it is running on a single or two cores even though on the hardware it can be as many as there is in the MIC. That would be a great leap in performance.

princessolive

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
And it could all be ground to a halt by some shoddy drivers in one of your add on cards.
Can anyone tell me Does mutli-core still actually make a handful of operations slower?

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
so let's get this straight: they used 32 x 4 = 128 real cores that total 512 logic cores (with hyperthreading) to render a game? This is lame...

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Ok, I don't think the issue is parrellism of the program, I think it's a question of seriously how many problems require you to do many things at once? I just don't see it's use int he desktop space right now, en masse. I mean how many things can you have running on your desktop at once, and how many programs require more than a few threads at once at the most?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
32 cores, that's pretty immpressive.
But
It doesn't matter if it's 320 or 32,000 cores - if the speed of the internet is not sufficient to stream a game at x-resolution and y-frames per second it won't do much good.

With that amount of horsepower we are all going to want it at 2560x1600 and 60+FPS, some serious internet packages with an unlimited datacap are going to be needed for Cloud gaming.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]um...wow? Anyone have a better adjective?[/citation]
Like, Oh...my...God, Becky. Look at those chips. It's so fast! It looks like one of those gamer guy's girlfriends. Look at those threads. There's just, so many of them.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wow. 128 threads. never did i think i'd see the day.

and wow 22nm??? i think the longest molecule strand known to man is approx 21nm long... transistors are getting insanely small

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]lukeiamyourfather[/nom]Looks very exciting. Makes me wonder how well software can really scale with that many cores.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law[/citation]

Most multimedia is highly parallelization. For example, Nvdia has 448 graphics threads on their cards but yet has not reached a scalability limit. Also, if you increase the amount of work as you increase the number of cores you are able to keep the load heavy enough on the cores (also called grain-size) so that the overhead required to organize the cores does not start to take a told on performance.
Processing HD movies and HD, 3D video games would be better suited for these chips. Doing low-res video, or office applications with these chips would waste most of their power.

The real problem is bandwidth. at about 40Gb/s, The main memory chips may start to have problems supplying enough data to keep the processors humming. So, applications that are cpu heavy would be favored instead of data-heavy. I think this is where Intels fiber optic connection would come in to the rescue since most science projects involve Petabytes of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.