Intel's 50Gbps Laser Light Beams Are the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Embedded fiber-optics in my motherboard.....So, my 2020 motherboard will display a LASER light show without my having those blue CCFL tubes? But seriously, when I looked at all the wires connecting all my peripherals, I was thinking that wire management will surely be easier - smaller, thinner bundles.

frye

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
"Someday in the future, we may look back on the technology we're using today and laugh that we were using electrons to carry data in and around computers."

And then we'll laugh again when we switch back to using electrons. Except this time, we'll be using individual electrons to carry binary data. Up spin can equal 0 and down spin can equal 1.

quiky87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I might be off but 50Gbits per second is 5GB per second an HD movie is (for a single layer BD-Rom 25GB so it would be every 5 seconds or 10 seconds for a 50GB BD.

G

this is not new sounds to me just like fiber optics supporting the internet tiers which hum 10gbs

whats so new if they hiked 50 out of 4 fibers?

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]This is yet another reason why I've been holding back on a new build.[/citation]
how long have u been holding out exactly...
after reading your comment... i feel like you have been holding back for decades...

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
kirk: "we're pinned down!"
scotty: "no problem captain, lemme see your phaser. i'll plug it into this hyperdoc and... now we can watch battlestar galactica at resolutions much greater than 1080p..."
kirk: "..."

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I want fibre optics. :(
Through all I'm concerned, all homes should have 10Gb/s. They better be putting at least some of the $60/month it is for my cable internet to use...

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
quiky87 and Computerrock1 were on the right trail. At 50 Gigabits/second, a dual-layer Bluray movie would take 8 seconds to transfer. Marcus, did you mean 50 Gigabytes/second?

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Wow, in the third vid it says that the link is scalable up to 1 Terabit. I wonder if this is why Intel has been holding off on supporting USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps. I really hope that this will be coming out sooner than later.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
meh

when they can do wireless(fiberless?) laser data transmissions, then I'll be impressed. Just don't get any paper(or a finger) between your PC and your wireless monitor!

ruffopurititiwang

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
File transfer will still be limited by the source device. HDD/Blu ray drive will still be a bottleneck when copying files. Hoping they get SSDs fast enough to take advantage of that speed.

Computerrock1 is right in saying that “A gigabit is 1/8 of a gigabyte” but when converting between gigabit and gigabyte transfer rate you should divide by ten because of the stop and start bits. Even if the transfer protocol does not use stop and start bits it will have other overheads that will be roughly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.