Intel's boxed coolers...now with 20% more suck factor?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mondoman

Splendid
joe, thanks for expanding on the structure of the "half-height" coolers -- I've still not seen one in person, so it's tricky to make out the details of construction from net photos. My cheap side is glad my e6420 and e2160 came with "full-height" stock coolers, but I've got a Zalman 8700 lying around that I need to try out.

Thanks Joe ... guess that clears things up and Milez is certainly spot on.

So If anyone has their old P4EE / D blue coolers lying around give them a try on a new Q6600 or so compared to the boxed cooler and let us know whether they perform much better.

Odd on someone can save a few dollars sticking their old cooler on a new cpu.

And get it to run faster and cooler.

The new Zalman type cooler with the QX9650 looks cool ... though he said it was pretty light.

I recall putting a Zalman cooler which looked great on my 7900GT and ended up taking it off ... the stock cooler worked better.

Remember the Thermaltake Orb??

POS looked good but was barely better than the boxed cooler with a Celery !!

clay12340

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Remember the Thermaltake Orb??

POS looked good but was barely better than the boxed cooler with a Celery !!

I never sad the QX9650 cooler was good at cooling. I said it was impressive for a retail cooler. I'd never expect a retail cooler to be worth anything when it comes to cooling an overclock, but I was pleasently surprised that it at least looked nice. Most of them are a boring dull heat sink with an ugly fan and bracket attached.