Intel's Coffee Lake Lineup Leaks Out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You forgot to include # of PCIe lanes and memory channels. And with regard to clocks, Intel artificially limited the i7-7800X to provide more incentive for people to buy the i7-7820X. The other thing to remember is that i7-8700K is to be built on a supposedly improved process.

BTW, six cores is probably enough that a dual-channel memory interface might start to be a bottleneck - especially if you're also using its integrated GPU.

Yeah, it was "sort of" confirmed, by a motherboard manufacturer, whose interest is in selling more motherboards. : P

Even the first paragraph of that article points out that the same had been said about Kaby Lake though. This just seems to verify that in material straight from Intel.

W10 dependent, apologies, but no interest here

I just wish, people making drivers and programs would stop trying to sell a new product every other month, and start investing real programming power into making their products use more cores and more efficiently, then, we could enjoy truly the gaming experience and other professional programs, and they would be worth running on newer system, thus getting the software pushing the hardware to evolve like it used to do in the 80's

having 8 cores is all nice an dandy... but when less than 2% of the software use multiple cores to run its processes, then what is the point of having more than 4 ?

hypershadow5g

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Honestly, it's sad that it took Intel this long to do something that I'm relatively sure they could've done at least 3 generations ago. We've been stuck with quad cores for how long? And yea sure, 8 thread cpus, but still, I'm sure they could've managed way better way sooner.

But here's the question that needs to be answered: Surely the i7 will beat the ryzen 5 1600, but will it do it in a way where price to performance is better for Intel? Will the i5 be able to beat it on a cost to cost ratio? If neither of those questions are a yes, then the 1600 will still reign supreme.

An even better question is: can these new 6 core chips beat the 7700k in gaming? Will they be able to overclock as high?

My point is that Intel has kinda mopped themselves into a corner by releasing 6 core products this late. Why? Because if you're just a gamer, stick with the 7700k. If you're doing productivity, get the ryzen 5 1600 or the ryzen 7 1700. If you're doing both...get the 1600 or the 1700. Intel really needs to hope and pray that they 8700k will beat the 7700k in gaming, and/or the 1600 and 1700 in productivity (and gaming). Otherwise we're going to have an oddly sandwiched 6 core cpu line up.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I think 6 cores will be a good balance between productivity and gaming.

I wonder what kind of difference the 14nm++ process will make on heat and power consumption. If you could reach the late 4Ghz range on a six core CPU then there wouldn't be any games that could give you trouble. I bet even Ashes of the Singularity would run well on 6 cores @ 4.8Ghz.

Does anyone know of any games besides AotS that are CPU bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.