News Intel's Meteor Lake Begins Production, Launches This Year on Intel 4 Process

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Intel also says that its Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake products remain on schedule to launch in 2024.
Like they "launched" first 10nm chips?
New motherboards and only low/low-mid chips? That makes total sense.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
At the rate it's burning cash and churning out trash with no i7/i9 parts, Intel should get bankrupted before the end of the decade. Let's get ready for AMD/TSMC's monopoly. At this rate their best chance is China invading Taiwan, with TSMC's most advanced fabs out of the picture they might regain some ground.

Last edited:

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
At the rate it's burning cash and churning out trash with no i7/i9 parts, Intel should get bankrupted before the end of the decade. Let's get ready for AMD/TSMC's monopoly. At this rate their best chance is China invading Taiwan, with TSMC's most advanced fabs out of the picture they might regain some ground.
If TSMCs nodes are so good, wouldn't Intel do better on them and comparatively better vs AMD if they went fabless?
If they went bankrupt and just sent designs to TSMC, AMD would lose the node advantage and even 3d wouldn't be competitive.

Reactions: KyaraM

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
If TSMCs nodes are so good, wouldn't Intel do better on them and comparatively better vs AMD if they went fabless?
If they went bankrupt and just sent designs to TSMC, AMD would lose the node advantage and even 3d wouldn't be competitive.
The comment from the original poster was so ridiculous there wasn't much of a point to commenting. But yeah, if they did somehow burn through 25 billion (last qtr they burned about 200 million) they would simply file for protection and/or sell the assets to another company. The Intel CPU would live on well past its death. Though I would be highly surprised if it did die.

Reactions: KyaraM

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Doubtful…. Intel is too big to fail.

Besides there is a good chance they’ll produce something superior to AMD. At least it won’t BBQ itself.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
The comment from the original poster was so ridiculous there wasn't much of a point to commenting. But yeah, if they did somehow burn through 25 billion (last qtr they burned about 200 million) they would simply file for protection and/or sell the assets to another company. The Intel CPU would live on well past its death. Though I would be highly surprised if it did die.
It was just a catch 22 question.
Either AMDs designs are better and TSMCs wafers are worse or vice versa. But both can't be better if something like that 13600k can come out every generation and beat every AMD+TSMC combo ever made up to that point in general consumer use.
I wouldn't be surprised if MTL did the same if it came to desktop, but I still have doubts it will make it there.
I could be mistaken, it could be another 5775c type thing with the Raptor refresh being like Devil's Canyon.

Reactions: bolweval and KyaraM

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Maybe they would? But Gelsinger is betting instead on opening Intel's foundries to 3rd parties and the money of the CHIPS act plays a big part in that venture. Truth to be told I do seriously think that he might be right on betting that US policy makers might want to retain and subsidize a US-based chip making industry, but we'll have to see if that's enough to keep Intel afloat.
Doubtful…. Intel is too big to fail.

Besides there is a good chance they’ll produce something superior to AMD. At least it won’t BBQ itself.
Is it really too big to fail? By capitalisation AMD has already become bigger than Intel, never mind the actual giants like Apple and Nvidia.
Being more reliable could help a bit with consumers today, but people will forget about this mess in 2 weeks and they will still remember that Intel is refreshing Raptor Lake and still sticking with Intel 10nm/7 for its mainstream desktop parts...

Well every low mid raptor part is actually alder lake, so it might make some sense that they only swap those out with new parts and let the big parts make them some more money.
It's not like they have to compete against anything, you need the corresponding x3d part that is more expensive and is only better in select games, or if you want to save energy on running benchmarks 24/7.

Reactions: rluker5 and KyaraM

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Vertically stacked.. like a 14900X3D? I think they cannot use that name though, but I mean the same concept/boost in games fps? That would be harsh for AMD like.. it's their trumph card right now

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
*facepalms*

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Why is Intel out-sourcing so many of the chiplet parts to TSMC?

Is there not enough fab capacity for them to do all those parts in-house?

They are attempting to do 4 new nodes in 5 years. Yields on those node likely won't be high enough for them to make both their own CPUs + their own GPUs + customer designs (via foundry). It also allows them to use nodes that are likely a bit better than their own now while they catch up.

It's hard to say if Intel continues this long term, but if their dream of catching and passing TSMC comes true they likely move the whole die in house once yields are acceptable.

AkroZ

Commendable
Aug 9, 2021
Vertically stacked.. like a 14900X3D? I think they cannot use that name though, but I mean the same concept/boost in games fps? That would be harsh for AMD like.. it's their trumph card right now
Not at all, AMD stack a memory module above the chiplets (process module) to give a big L3 cache, some applications benefits tremendously from it.
Intel is currently just trying to use chiplets technology to give them the possibility to make manufacturer hybrid CPU (like using chiplets made by TSMC).
Intel should not use vertical stacking technology for Meteor Lake but after. Intel want to stack similar layers above the other where AMD technology can stack any chiplet above another.
The hard challenge for Intel in vertical stacking after developing the technology will be to improve the power efficiency to reduce diminishing returns due to overheat.